New
Find
Notify
Tools

.222 or .223
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 788 in .222 that I bought used. I want to have it rebarrelled but my dilemna is this: I have two .223's and if I rebarrel to a .223, it will certainly help simplify my components inventory. And I know the .223 is super accurate. If I keep it as a .222, I will have (until the ppc's) one of the most accurate rounds made. I kinda like that but it also means more "stuff" on the reloading bench.
I guess my question is: Is the .222 enough more accurate than the .223 to make it worthwhile? I realize its a gut feeling thing but help me out here. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a lightweight sporting rifle, I doubbt that you would ever notice the difference. In any case, a good 223 is a accurate as you will ever need. Jim

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Model 788's in .222 are relatively hard to come by. They are considered one of the more highly accurate calibers in that model. I would keep it as is, especially since you already have 2-.223's. Your reloading area won't grow too much, all you'll really need is a set of dies for the .222. Pretty much everything else is common.
Just my .02 worth.

Hollywood

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bee, maybe I'm missing something here but I know what I would do. Since you already have 2 223's, why don't you sell/trade the 222 off and get yourself a totally different rifle and caliber.

You express a longing for "more stuff" on your loading table. How about a whole new caliber to play with. More of the same is good but more and different is even better. [Big Grin]

I would get something out of the .224 bore just to spice up your life a bit. Maybe .243?

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most people like the .223 because it is a nice compromise between the .222 and the 22/250 and of course there is all that cheap brass. [Frown] But I have never been able to warmup to it. I've owned six .223s and have traded every one of them off. maybe that's because I know I can always get another one. On the other hand I still have my first .222 and it's not for sale.
And sense when do we buy one rifle that is a compromise for two rifles, why not own two rifles? [Wink]

You'll love the .222,,,,,,,stay with it.

Just the way I see it,,,,, [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 79 | Location: Colorado (out in the sticks) | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos, gasp, shudder, trade one of my rifles?????
You're kidding, right? I think I'll go lie down...... I have one or more of most "normal" cartridges except .243. Actually, I own a .243 but it is at the smiths being made into a .260. I did own another .243 but had it made into a 7-08. Which, I feel, was one of the better decisions I have made in life. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beeman - Hey, I didn't say "Throw one of your rifles in the lake and forget about it!" [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Perhaps I should have completed my sentence better. Trade the 222 and GET ANOTHER RIFLE.

Don't think of this as "losing a rifle." Think of it as gaining another cartridge! [Wink]
-------------
But I was unaware you were so well stocked for rifles when I wrote my original suggestion. There's no doubt the 222 is a loveable little rifle. I've owned several and loved them one and all.

But I suffer from the "Grass is Always Greener Syndrome." I could never resist the temptation to try something different.

You may need professional help with your delima. [Big Grin]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took a perfectly good Rem 788 in 222 Rem, and had the chamber setback to a 221 Fireball. That was 12 years ago, and that rifle has taken more varmints/crows than any other rifle I own. Very pleasant to shoot, and really an over-achiever for the case size.
But my new 17 Mach IV could make the Fireball stay at home a bit more.....

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep the 222's - it is just one more set of dies, and one more type of case. But, hey who is counting?? [Wink] Would you be able to tell the difference between a .222 and a .223? Who knows, just too many variables involved. Both are great rounds.
FWIW - mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As hard as .222's are to come by these days, I wouldn't even think of modifying one of them.

The fact that you have other .223's is irrelavent -- each rifle should have its own ammunition tailor-made for it and you shouldn't be interchanging ammunition between rifles just because they're of the same chambering.

Load and shoot the little .222 -- you'll like it. At the same pressures, you'll get about the same velocity from it with a 50 grain bullet as from the .223 with a 55, and you'll use a little less powder and have a little less noise (although not enough less of either to make a real difference).

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My all time favorite varmint rifle is a 222...In fact all my kids and grankids killed there first couple of deer with it and the 60 gr. Hornady Hollow point..You usually get complete penitration on broadside shots with that bullet and if you don't, you will recover a perfectly little mushroomed bullet under the off side skin...

I also have and use a 6x45 a bit on varmints but mostly on deer and antelope..I like the 75 gr. Barnes X bullet at 3000 FPS or a bit less...

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Why don't you have it both ways? Put a new 223 barrel on it to enjoy now but save the 222 factory barrel to re-install another day if you so wish!

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Atkinson on this one as the 222 is also my favorite small caliber. I have had 222's for quite a number of years and they have all proven to be very accurate. My current bolt rifle loaded with VVN133 powder along with 40 gr. Hornady V-Max produces sub half moa groups and does a real number on varmints.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Posts: 104 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifle is at the smiths being rebarrelled to a .222. He only took 6 months before he called me and said he had time for the job. I kinda figured the nostalgia was worth something.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
messed up, post is below.

[ 11-22-2003, 08:10: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
beemanbeme,

Okay, I am confused. You said

"I have a 788 in .222 that I bought used." and then said "The rifle is at the smiths being rebarrelled to a .222". Why rebarrel? It is a .222 already. Accuracy problem????

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Send me your Remmington 788 in .222 caliber and I'l send you my Ruger Ultra-Lite in 223. Back when you could get a 788 my 222 shot a 100 yard goup smaller than a dime. My Ruger does not.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Custom, sorry. The original barrel, after scrubbing about a ton of copper out of the bore, was still not up to accuracy specs. An inch or a bit less, but a sloppy inch if you know what I mean. That's what drove the original question. I was gonna have it rebarrelled but couldn't decide which way to go. thx to all of you for your help and suggestions. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 222. It's my favorite 22 centerfire. Ive had a couple 223's and found that the 222 will do just about anything the 223 will. I've got a Win M70 Varmint 22-250 that is going up for sale to finance a custom 222. If anyone out there might be interested in a nice 22-250, contact me.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since the 222 vs. 223 issue is causing you such a dillema....just get it barreled to 222 Rem Mag,...that's a bit different.

[ 11-23-2003, 21:36: Message edited by: rembo ]

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't see a lot of difference myself, although I like the 222 best... The 223 is more powerfull and has more range almost a 22-250, and can be as accurate..the 222 Magnum is a pure pain, hard to find brass for one thing and has no resale value...

One thing may be of importance to some is 223 brass is a whole lot cheaper, and the IMI brass is as good as it gets and sells for peanuts...but heck 222 brass probably won't break the bank.....

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I have found that .222 Rem is an extremely non-fussy caliber to handload -- almost everything shoots very well!

I make .222 Rem brass from .223 brass. This necking down results in a thicker neck which I can then outside neck turn to achieve a closely-fitted neck in my particular .222 (but one which will still accept all factory ammo). Cheap brass too! [Smile]

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote