New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rate of twist in .22LR?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I like the 60 grain SSS .22LR bullet for quiet and for down range energy, but the long bullet keyholes in my guns (Ruger, Marlin, Savage). I note that the S&W pistols have (or at least had) a 1:10 twist, fast for a .22LR.

What rate of twist is fast enough to stabilize a 60 grain .22?

Has anyone found a rifle or pistol that will stabilize the SSS?

Posts: 142 | Location: southwest Missouri | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Most 22 LR have a one in 16 twist... a 50 grain bullet is too big and too slow for most to stabilize.. most won't stabilize anything over 40 grains...

even barrels I have see that have been spun off of a rimfire and rechambered and put on a centerfire.. still don't have enough omph to stabilize any heavier bullet than 40 grains..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gulfcoast Ammunition in Groves Texas was selling 1 in 9 barrels for 10-22 and 77-22 for the SSS ammo. Can't find the link, Ph #409/962-5822.

Les

Posts: 73 | Location: LaPorte,Texas | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the lead. I've never owned a 10-22 but it may be time I did.

Posts: 142 | Location: southwest Missouri | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
My former 10/22 Butler Creek bbl had a 14" twist, now its been re-worked for my 77/22, but sorry, never tried heavies....DOES wad up the WW powerpoints in VERY small groups at 50 yds.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The barrels that have been made for that load have 1:9" twists.

E. Arthur Brown

Volquartsen

But 1:10" might do it.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote