New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x284 Vs. 6.5x300WSM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Need some opinions, please.... I've recently ordered one of the Montana Riflemans' M1999 short actions and I'm waffling between these two cartridges. On another forum, I've heard from two very knowledgable reloaders that the 6.5x300WSM is a very finicky cartridge and as a novice reloader, I'd be better served by the 6.5x284.

I like the idea of being able to buy properly head stamped brass and, as this rifle has no predisposed purpose in life, I don't really need the extra velocity the 6.5x300WSM case might provide.

While I have absolutely no cause to doubt the opinions I've received already, I just want to run it past another group of experts.

Thank you in advance.

Posts: 64 | Location: Indianapolis | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is quite a big difference in case capacities between these two. One holds about 66 grs of water and the other about 80.

Also the bolt face you ordered will not do both of these head diameters.

What are the other specifications of the rifle and it's primary purpose? Also it's weight, barrel length, twist and what bullet are you keying on?

I really doubt that the 6.5 WSM will see factory status what with so many WSM's, SAUM's and soon WSSM running underfoot. I feel the same way about the 284 and it's neck ups and downs. That the new short mags will cut it out of the picture not that it ever was.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
I'm no "expert" but i would ask how much length for a loaded round is available in this action? The 6.5-284 is better suited to a medium or standard length.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
<grkldoc>
posted
Novice reloader? I would suggest the 6.5-284. Little load data exists for the 6.5WSM. I have posted some data and obtained it with strain gauges and chronographs. If you are really a novice go with the more standardized cartridge first. Brass is now easily obtained and at least one book, Nosler's reloading guide, has loading information.
As previously stated, a .478 (standard) bolt face limits you to the 6.5-284 and the .532 (magnum) bolt face limits you to 6.5WSM. That is, unless you want to have the .478 bolt faced opened up by a gunsmith.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses... preferred bullet for this rifle wil be a 125gr. Partition. It's lot in life will be that of a deer/antelope gun and black bear f I load some 140gr. Partitions. As for the barrel specifics, I'm thinking 1 in 9" twist, 4 groove, at least 24". Weight will not be my main concern here.

I'll talk to the folks at the Montana Rifleman but I'm pretty sure I can get the proper bolt face to accommodate which ever cartridge I choose.

Thanks Again...

Posts: 64 | Location: Indianapolis | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6.5-284 gets my vote. you have a 3" magazine to work with which is the 284's biggest downfall when loading heavy for caliber bullets. i would ask about any feeding issues you might have with the 99 action/standard bolt face and a 284 case. maybe, maybe not.
all the loading work is done for you. proven loads up and down the spectrum. excellent cases in the lapua. no fireforming! dies of the shelf.
if you decide on a short mag based cart later then you can have a smith open the bolt face. alot easier than trying to put it back if you change your mind.....
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sound advice, Woofer... thanks! I really do like the idea of properly stamped brass of quality manufacture.

Now, what to do with the Long Action M1999 I've ordered??????? I already have 6.5/06, 7mm Rem, .300 Win and Weatherby, .338Win, .358 Norma, and a .375 H&H... maybe a 25/06 or a .257 Weatherby...

one of us
posted Hide Post
What to do with that long action is to make up a rifle that's better than the ones that you have now. The cartridge is not really all that important. It's the rifleman first then the bullet, the rifle and last the cartridge.

You don't list the best cartridge of them all anyway! Get that one and you will find it will do it all.

<Wildcat>
posted
by what you put for your purposes you will find that the .260 remington will serve you just as well with less powder consumption. Brass costa less too. Great handloaders cartridge.

It is a 308 necked down to 6.5

I have quite a bit of experience with it - email me at sure_shot_99@yahoo.com for more info.

Good Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll bite Savage99.... what cartridge might that be? 7x57, 6.5x55 Swede, 30/06????

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jigger,

The 30/06 makes a nice rifle when the barrel is a featherweight contour and just 22" long. Then the rifle has good balance to my taste which is the absence of heavy ends.

It's true that the .300 Mags have a little more power but they end up having 24" or longer barrels, heavier stocks and big scopes and before you know it they need a golf cart to haul them around.

Sometimes it's just nice to reach for a handy rifle and carry it and if its an 06 it will reach out to 350 yards and more with quite a wallop.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good point Savage, one against which I can't argue.... I'm trying to shy away from the "swiss army knife" approach though. If I let on to my wife that I have one gun that can do it all, she may make me sell all the others!

one of us
posted Hide Post
jigger, i didn't see the bolt face you ordered your long action in. i am assuming magnum bolt face..
you could build that culling gun on your long action in 257 weatherby with a light contour barrel in 25". that would make a very nice gun.
then you could shelve your short till you decide what to do with it. i would rather have the short on the shelf and knawing away at my brain as to what to build and shooting the weatherby. from your list it looks like you have the bigger stuff well covered. maybe a 416/404 elephant gun?
i wish i had your dilema!!!!!!!!!!
by the way. what are the threads on the 1999? ruger?
adios
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woofer... not sure of the threads on the M1999, hadn't really given it much thought. Bolt face will be sized at such time I'm forced to make my dsecision on caliber.

I like your idea about shelving one of the actions for the ime being. $$$'s might dictate this if not my inability to make up my mind! Right now, I'm really leaning toward a .257 Roberts (AI)....

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jigger 6.5:
Sound advice, Woofer... thanks! I really do like the idea of properly stamped brass of quality manufacture.

Now, what to do with the Long Action M1999 I've ordered??????? I already have 6.5/06, 7mm Rem, .300 Win and Weatherby, .338Win, .358 Norma, and a .375 H&H... maybe a 25/06 or a .257 Weatherby...

I see a gap, and the perfect use for your 1999 LA, 458 Lott [Big Grin]

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're not the first to mention the .458 Lott... don't know much about it other than is must supercede the Winchester version of that bullet diameter.... saw a #1 Tropical chambered for the Lott at a gun show... damn, the hole in the end of the barrel was BIG!

Might take my time and build up a real Africa-ready safari rifle... big caliber, barrel band, express sights, hign end walnut stock, etc... or, I may just build a .280AI carry rifle.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Not much to know about the lott, a 2.80" long 458 based on the H&H case that will push a 500 gr bullet @ 2300 fps. I can tell you from personal experience that you'll never doubt that it has gone off [Big Grin] It is actually a very versitile round, launch 350's @ 2500 fps and recoil is no different then a 375 H&H, yet it hits with much more authority.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote