New
Find
Notify
Tools

218.M.Bee Brass Life?
 Login/Join

Picture of Hutzpah-
posted
Just wanting to get an idea on the brass life of a 218 mashburn bee.
For those who have one of these how many reloads are you getting?

I'm presently fire forming 500 218 bee brass in my mashburn by loading it as normal and shooting ferals.

Thanks

Hutzpah

Posts: 24 | Location: Mamaku New Zealand | Registered: 23 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i believe i've gotten 15 or more loads out of mine. I think 500 rds of brass will probbly outlast the barrel. if its of any help my load is 16.2 gr of H4227 and a 40 gr bullet

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Hutzpah-
posted Hide Post
Thanks butchloc
This is my first small centre fire and looking at the brass it looks quite thin.
To get 15 reloads would be great.

Hutzpah

PS-my present load is 13.5gr 2400 40gr BT.
Smiler

Posts: 24 | Location: Mamaku New Zealand | Registered: 23 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
You may wish to review the subject of annealing in the reloading forum. I shoot .25-20, essentially the same brass, and found to retain neck tension on reloads and get reasonanble case life I had to anneal every 3 or 4 reloads.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a wildcat called a .20 Killer Bee which is essentially a .218 Bee necked down to .20 caliber and the shoulders blown forward to 40 degrees. Moves a .20 caliber 32 grain V-Max Hornady out at 3,800ish with no sign of pressure and a little safety margin left over, very efficient.
The Bee has heavy primer pockets compared to say a .22 Hornet or .17 Ackley Hornet even though the brass isn't overly thick.
I've shot one batch of 50 cases 5 times neck sizing in between with no sign of anything giving up or even getting ready too.
As good a case as it is however I wouldn't lean on it too hard cause although I've never shelled out a primer pocket I have a feeling if it did let go it would happen all at once. It is after all a lot older than any of us guys even old farts like me.
Neat case to wildcat on.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Bullberry Contender barrel in 218 Mashburn Bee. I've lost a few cases fireforming, but haven't had a preoblem since. I neck size only.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote