THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    compatatively how loud is a 22 hornet?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

compatatively how loud is a 22 hornet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i have a 22 mag. and a 223. the noise difference is significant. i was looking for a rifle to carry/have in the truck to shoot coons and such off the ranch, but not alert the entire ranch i was there during deer season. if its as loud as the 223 i dont want it, and if its similar to the 22 mag. i think the extra horsepower might be nice. what cha think, ive never been around a hornet?

one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
Why not just stick with the 22 mag?

The 22 Hornet is a milder report than the .223 by about half I'd say. But it's by no means quiet.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My opinion the Hornet report is closer to the 22mag than the 223, but you better have a large ranch to not hear a Hornet...
Hornet + LilGun powder is a hoot to shoot.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The hornet is a lot quiter than a .223 and I feel only a little louder than a .22 mag......................but for me it adds about 100 yards of range over the .22 mag. If I do my my part and have a good rest a fox is stuffed out to 200 yards with my Hornet, when I owned a magnum .22 I felt 100 yards was absolutely the maximum.................other than flooks

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by black mamba:
.. if its as loud as the 223 i dont want it, and if its similar to the 22 mag. i think the extra horsepower might be nice. ...
Hey BM, You are indeed in luck, cause the answer is easy enough and you can experience it "First Hand".

Get a box of bullets you would plan to use in the 22Hornet - maybe 35gr, 40gr or 45gr - and load them in your 223Rem using a 22Hornet MAX Load.

Now take them and some of your regular 223Rem Loads and the 22Mag ammo out to where you can shoot and have at it.
---

By the way, once you do this it may become obvious to you that there is no need to buy the 22Hornet. I wrestled with them for 35 years and found the down-loaded 223Rem to be more consistently accurate than any 22Hornet I ever had. There is no comparison when it comes to Case Life between the 22Hornet and a down-loaded 223Rem.

And if you just want another inexpensive truck rifle, you can get an H&R single shot. Or move your existing 223Rem into the truck and buy a really high end 223Rem(any Remington Big Grin) for your carry rifle.

Isn't it nice when you can experience things First Hand? Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Hot Core, Isn't it an AR felony to talk another member out of buying a new gun that he really doesn't need. Where is your charitable sense as the man is merely seeking written proof to present to his spousal superior that he MUST HAVE another rifle. Surely as a renouned and respected shooter you have had a moment or two when the urge struck.

Now seriousily, I'll bet Seafire's Bluedot loads would fit this bill nicely. reduce the muzzle pressure and you will reduce the sound signature.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308Sako:
Hot Core, Isn't it an AR felony to talk another member out of buying a new gun that he really doesn't need.
Guilty - with mitigating previous wording:
quote:
Originally posted by (somewhat Guilty) Hot Core:
you can get an H&R single shot. Or move your existing 223Rem into the truck and buy a really high end 223Rem(any Remington

quote:
I'll bet Seafire's Bluedot loads would fit this bill nicely. reduce the muzzle pressure and you will reduce the sound signature.
Yes indeed it will - too.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
308 sako you hit the nail on the head, thanks for seeing where im coming from. my goal is to just have a few guns in tx to leave there and not have to bring them from alaska each time, extra luggage, lost luggage, could use the extra baggage for meat etc.

i did not think of reducing the loads for the .223 though. that is a good idea but even at that, i would still have to get another rifle! see how i can get that around to another purchase? now for the pitch to the wife, ill see if that goes as smoothly. thanks for everyones input and ill try the .223 trick

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hot Core:

Get a box of bullets you would plan to use in the 22Hornet - maybe 35gr, 40gr or 45gr - and load them in your 223Rem using a 22Hornet MAX Load.
-----------------------------------------------
I would like to try some max hornet loads in a 222 Rem, but the reloading manuals show max loads for hornet to be considerably lower than the minimum charge for 222 using powders that are listed for both. Is this safe practice?

I found Blue dot loads of 11.5gr to be superb with a range of bullets in the 222 and would be similar to some top end hornet loads. You could go 0.5-1.0gr higher in 223.

Regards..

..Titan

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Titan:
...I would like to try some max hornet loads in a 222 Rem, but the reloading manuals show max loads for hornet to be considerably lower than the minimum charge for 222 using powders that are listed for both. Is this safe practice?
Hey Titan, If we were talking about a Large Volume Case with Slow Burning Powder, then your concern would be absolutely valid. Downloading "Slow Burning Powders" has the potential to result in a Detonation(Secondary Explosion Effect).

The Powders shown in any Reloading Manual for the 22Hornet will be a Fast Powder, so there is no cause for concern.

quote:
I found Blue dot loads of 11.5gr to be superb with a range of bullets in the 222 and would be similar to some top end hornet loads. You could go 0.5-1.0gr higher in 223...
I like the Blue Dot Reduced Loads championed by Seafire myself. And there are other Powders of a similar Burn Rate that work well for Reduced Loads too.

I would encourage anyone using the Fast Powders for Reduced Loads(not shown in a Manual) to use good old CHE & PRE to make sure the Loads are remaining at a SAFE Pressure Level. The Fast Powders will be at a SAFE Pressure level with one Load and only adding 0.3gr can result in it going beyond a SAFE MAX Load.

But the 22Hornet Loads shown in any Reloading Manual can be transfered directly into any 22cal cartridge that has more Case Volume SAFELY.

Best of luck to you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back to the noise question, about the same as a 410 shotgun. Son and I were out messing around today. He had his old 410 and I one of my Hornets. Seemed to sound the same to me.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core...

Thank you.

Have you any favourite powders (apart from Blue Dot Smiler)that you could recommend for 222 downloads. I think Seafire was going to try H110 in 223, but how about 2400?

Regards...

..Titan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Titan, I believe the first down-load I tried in the 223Rem was with "2400" and it did just fine. And we all know the Blue Dot does well. I've not tried all the typical powders normally used in the 22Hornet as down-loads in the 223Rem, just don't have enough time.

Just look at a Reloading Manual in the 22Hornet Loads, see if you have one of those Powders, try it out and watch for Pressure Indications - just that simple.

Often what works well for one rifle just doesn't do as well in another one. I've seen Seafire mention he has not had good luck with Blue Dot Loads in his 30-30, but they worked just fine when I tried them. So, you just have to try them in your rifle and see what it shoots the best.

Best of luck to you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core..

Thank you again..

..Titan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Utilizing a .22 Hornet load in a .223 will not be unsafe, but because of the larger expansion chamber it will result in less pressure, velocity, and muzzle blast than if fired in a Hornet chamber. Thus the results of using a Hornet load in a .223 may be misleading insofar as the net performance (and apparent loudness) is concerned.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Stonecreek, What would you recommend he use to "simulate" the Report from a 22Hornet?

Best of luck to your answer. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey Stonecreek, What would you recommend he use to "simulate" the Report from a 22Hornet?

How about a K-Hornet?

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308Sako:
Hot Core, Isn't it an AR felony to talk another member out of buying a new gun that he really doesn't need. Where is your charitable sense as the man is merely seeking written proof to present to his spousal superior that he MUST HAVE another rifle. Surely as a renouned and respected shooter you have had a moment or two when the urge struck.

jumping jumping

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Back in the hay days of poaching deer at night, about all of the highly experienced ones shot Hornets because the report did not carry far.

As far as accuracy, I have always thought of the .22 Hornet as the .243 win & .308 win.and that is all 3 would be accurate even shot out of a lead pipe.

Most all Hornets I have been associated wth are tack drivers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37889 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd say . . . . a .22 Hornet.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So you are saying the ONLY WAY for BM to know how loud a 22Hornet is, is for him to "buy one or borrow one".

rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Isn't it an AR felony to talk another member out of buying a new gun that he really doesn't need.

Exactly. The advice he should have been given was to buy a CZ 527 in .221 Fireball and shoot reduced loads through that.

A 37 gr. Calhoon DHP propelled by a smidgen of Blue Dot just makes a nice pop like a crisp fart on a frosty morning.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So you are saying the ONLY WAY for BM to know how loud a 22Hornet is, is for him to "buy one or borrow one".

rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

Yes.

Any number of combinations of cartridges/loads/bullets/barrel lengths, etc. might be similar to a .22 Hornet, but the report is somewhat subjective (a shorter barrel will seem louder to the shooter than a longer barrel even with loads that produce the same dB because the report is closer to your ears) and due to things like variations in muzzle pressure, duration of gas expulsion and other variations, loads with very similar ballistic performance can sound quite different.

He is seeking a level of noise that is somewhat subjective and the only way to know if a rifle/load meets his subjective needs is to fire that rifle and load.

It's off of the subject a little, but numerous times I've had neophyte shooters tell me that a particular .22-250 which had had its barrel trimmed to 17 inches due to a mishap with a muzzle obstruction "kicked" harder than a .243 with a 24 inch barrel. Of course they were reacting to the increased muzzle blast (or perception of increase blast because it was closer to the ear) rather than the actual recoil, which was certainly less with the .22-250.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
...Any number of combinations of cartridges/loads/bullets/barrel lengths, etc. might be similar to a .22 Hornet, but the report is somewhat subjective (a shorter barrel will seem louder to the shooter than a longer barrel even with loads that produce the same dB because the report is closer to your ears) and due to things like variations in muzzle pressure, duration of gas expulsion and other variations, loads with very similar ballistic performance can sound quite different. ....
Completely AGREE!

So by your "rigid" interpretation, he would need to by 22Hornets with all different Barrel Lengths and load them with every possible Powder suitable for the 22Hornet - before he makes a decision!

Seems a bit of an overkill to me. Big Grin Especially when he could just try the 22Hornet Loads in his 223Rem and get a good reasonable idea of how loud it will be. Oh yes, that has already been mentioned. rotflmo

Best of luck to you Stonecreek.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So by your "rigid" interpretation, he would need to by 22Hornets with all different Barrel Lengths and load them with every possible Powder suitable for the 22Hornet - before he makes a decision!

Great idea! Who would ever turn down an excuse to buy another half dozen guns?