THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    50 BT or 60 Gr Paritions for a 22-250

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

50 BT or 60 Gr Paritions for a 22-250
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm getting ready to stock up on some 22 cal bullets. I have been looking at the 50 nolser ballistic tip or the 60 gr nosler parition. Call me old fashioned, but I really like the parition. When I'm out there is always a chance to see wolf's and Im just not sure that BT would do enough damage to put it down fast. can someone please explain to me why the BT is perfered for hunting yotes, foxes, ect. I do keep the furs, but dont mind sewing a little. I have shot rabbits with a 17 HMR with ballistic tips and it would tear it apart if not hit in the right area. Would this happen with the BT with the 22-250 and bigger dogs? They say that the BT wont exit the body, but what happens if you hit a rib or a shoulder going in. Would they explode and just wound the animal? Any info would be great.

Posts: 89 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
iVe shot coyotes and deer with the 60 grain partition out of an ar and it allways performed well for me.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are concerned about pelt damage and the occasional run in with a wolf, I'd use the 60 partition and never look back.

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Phil N
posted Hide Post
What twist is the barrel? The partitions won't stabilize in my 1-14.

US Army 1977-1998

Posts: 82 | Location: Carthage, NY | Registered: 23 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
its a 1 in 12 twist so it should shoot the 60 gr bullets good

Posts: 89 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
The 50 gr. BT will work great as long as you make a perfect shot. Yes, they can and do blow up on the shoulder. The 60 gr. PT's will work great if they will stabilize in your 22-250. The PT's shot just fine out of my old Rem. 700 with the 1:14 twist, although some folks have had trouble with them, and they shoot gangbusters out of my 1:12 twist Savage 22-250. I started using the 55 gr. Sierra #1365 SBT's years ago in my 22-250 and 223 for predators.

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never shot any 60gr bullets from any of my 22-250s, however I always felt I got better performance with the 55s over the 50s. So, if your rifle will shoot them, I'd go with the 60s.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you are concerned about pelt damage and the occasional run in with a wolf, I'd use the 60 partition and never look back.

+1

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
60 grain VMax, 60 Grain ballistic tip..
heck, hard to beat a plain old 60 grain SP Hornady...

I tried the 60 grain partitions and gave up on them based on lack of accuracy alone..

there are a ton of better 60 grain bullets out there...

I'm personally real fond of the 60 Sierra HP..and any of their SMPs... 50, 55 and 63 grainers..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How big will your wolves usually run? 70-90 lbs? If so, I think I agree with Seafire that your best solution is one of the conventional 60 grain bullets. I'm not sure there is anything wrong with the Partition as it is as likley as any to shoot well in a particular gun, but on the other hand, there seems little need to use such an expensive bullet.

I've used the old 60 grain Nosler Solid Base (no longer available) very successfully on whitetails, which run slightly larger than wolves I would think. The Hornady 60 grain SP has a reputation for holding together rather well, so it should also be a candidate.

I will give you this advantage for the Partition: It will likely shed its front portion inside the animal to provide excellent organ trauma, with only the rear portion penetrating the offside hide and leaving a relatively small exit hole. So the Partition might be your best choice if pelt preservation is important.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I always like the 60 partions, I also like the 53 grn TSX bullets for everything.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote