THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    70 gr TSX . 9" twist , NO NO in 223 Rem .

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

70 gr TSX . 9" twist , NO NO in 223 Rem .
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted
Well . At least for me , useing 2 different rifles with 1 in 9 twist . The Rem 700 VTR and the CZ527 Varmint .Both 223 Remingtons . The 70 gr tsx is not stabilized with a max. 24.5 gr load of RL 15 ... Tested it this morning @ 7 am and -37degrees F. Perhaps in an area where higher velocity is possible , but not here ..... .... So the CZ gets a shortning of the barrel ... It shoots the 55 gr bullets and the 53 gr TSX very well . so I,m going to make it a 20" barrel .........

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.. So this is for Faststeel . This was the results in my CZ 527 Varmint HS Precision stocked rifle .

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
phil - try the 63 gr sierra - for some reason or another every 223 i have (save one old sako) prefers this bullet to anything else. i found that out last year when i took all 14 to the range. now just what do i do with the 20,000 rds of 55 grainers i already have loaded CRYBABY

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
. Now thats a canundrum !!!!!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The 70 grain TSX is as long as 90 grain cup and core bullet so it will probably need the 1:7.7" twist or faster to stabilize.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks G B

I'll be sure not to try them. I am trying 55gr ballistic tips first, the some 69gr Sierra after that, both over Win 748.

Thanks FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the 62 gr TSX in my 1:9 guns with excellent results.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cummins4x4
posted Hide Post
Jeez FS I coulda told you those suckers wont shoot in that rifle Wink

Posts: 39 | Location: Lethbridge Alberta | Registered: 30 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Well - there you go. I figured justifying the 223 as a deer rifle, with the use of the 70 gr TSX, was BS. Just as I said, it takes a fast custom twist, not normally found in factory rifles, to use the 70 gr TSX.

The question now is will the 9" twist stabalize the next lighter 62 gr. TSX, with its fantastic SD of .177, obviously designed to shoot through two deer - end to end? Wink

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I saw a sticker label on a box of 70grn .224 TSX that said " Only recommended for use in barrels with a 1:8 or faster twist".

Those are some long bullets for that caliber.

Posts: 218 | Location: KC MO | Registered: 07 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .223 AI with a Shilen 1 in 9 twist barrel. It shoots the 69 grain Sierra and 70 grain Barnes bullets very accurately well under 1" but will not properly stabilize a 75 grain Amax. Holes are still round but groups are very erratic and up to 6". They are moving about 3000 fps out of my gun. I concur that 1 in 8 is better for those longer bullets and maybe even 1 in 7 if you use 80 to 90 grain bullets.

Posts: 136 | Location: mn | Registered: 03 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage FVSS with a 26 inch barrel that shoots them into dime size groups if I keep the OAL right. +- .010 from the perfect depth and they shoot 8 inch groups with nice round bullet holes.

I use BLC-2. 26.5 gr (Max load) produces 3000 FPS. 28.5 gr produces 3300 FPS without pressure signs. The latter load is well over max and should not be tried without an abundance of cautious work up. This rifle has a very long throat. Both loads shoot very well.

Dave

Posts: 964 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by miles58:
I have a Savage FVSS with a 26 inch barrel that shoots them into dime size groups if I keep the OAL right. +- .010 from the perfect depth and they shoot 8 inch groups with nice round bullet holes.

I use BLC-2. 26.5 gr (Max load) produces 3000 FPS. 28.5 gr produces 3300 FPS without pressure signs. The latter load is well over max and should not be tried without an abundance of cautious work up. This rifle has a very long throat. Both loads shoot very well.

Dave

. Miles , it was your results that had me try the 70 gr TSX .. . Alas It wasn,t to be .. . So now I,m on the slow hunt for a 223 bolt face Ruger stainless bolt action . I will put a 1;7 twist barrel on it and go ahead on er ...I don,t want a long barrel , so will have it bucked to 20 " .... At least for now I know ... Perhaps in the summer I could have got enough velocity to stabilize them in the CZ with a 24" barrel .. But I don,t want a long barreled 223 .. And 16.5" is alot more to my likeing !!!!! Plus it HAS to work in cold temps .. like -60 F .. Not that I,m going to hunt alot in that temp ... But ya never know what you will see. and I do hunt in -40 ..

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Gumboot,
I'm thinking that the CZ 527 you have is a good rifle, so I suggest that you get a box of the 62 gr TSX bullets and give them a try. My bet is that they will work in the 9" twist, and that's a lot cheaper than a new rifle, especially a custom rifle.

Whatever it is that the 70 gr TSX was supposed or precieved to do, I'm thinking it would be difficult to tell the difference in results comparing between the 70 gr and the 62 gr TSX.

Never been there, never intend to go there, but the above suggestion seems logical to me. Hope that works out for ya.

I wish CZ chambered their 527 in this: http://www.hornady.com/store/6...rendel-123-gr-A-MAX/

Regards,
KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not tried either the 70's or the 62's in my contender barrel. As near as I can measure it is just under 1 in 9. Enough under for me to tell the difference. I think I'll try the 62's or 55's first. I don't need the 223 for a deer or antelope gun, its strictly a varmint deal for me. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
quote:
. Miles , it was your results that had me try the 70 gr TSX .. . Alas It wasn,t to be .. . So now I,m on the slow hunt for a 223 bolt face Ruger stainless bolt action . I will put a 1;7 twist barrel on it and go ahead on er ...I don,t want a long barrel , so will have it bucked to 20 " .... At least for now I know ... Perhaps in the summer I could have got enough velocity to stabilize them in the CZ with a 24" barrel .. But I don,t want a long barreled 223 .. And 16.5" is alot more to my likeing !!!!! Plus it HAS to work in cold temps .. like -60 F .. Not that I,m going to hunt alot in that temp ... But ya never know what you will see. and I do hunt in -40 ..

It was probably worth a try. I would have gotten rid of that gun by now had it lt not been for the single characteristic of being able to handle 28.5 grains of BLC-2 and produce 3300. It's a left hand gun, heavy enough to make two guns and with that barrel very muzzle heavy. I may well still sell it. I have four accurate 243s and a decent Remington 700 in .223 that I do not have sorted yet. Plus I have a Sendero SF II in 25-06 If I need to lug something long and heavy.

Half the fun of playing with them is trying out the toys and seeing what you get. I tried the 70s in the Remington, but they go sideways in a hurry.

I hunt at 20 below when I have to, but I don't like it. 40 below is too cold if I don't have to be out in it.

Posts: 964 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
Gumboot,
I'm thinking that the CZ 527 you have is a good rifle, so I suggest that you get a box of the 62 gr TSX bullets and give them a try. My bet is that they will work in the 9" twist, and that's a lot cheaper than a new rifle, especially a custom rifle.

Whatever it is that the 70 gr TSX was supposed or precieved to do, I'm thinking it would be difficult to tell the difference in results comparing between the 70 gr and the 62 gr TSX.

Never been there, never intend to go there, but the above suggestion seems logical to me. Hope that works out for ya.

I wish CZ chambered their 527 in this: http://www.hornady.com/store/6...rendel-123-gr-A-MAX/

Regards,
KB
. Ya , I wish they chambered it also . In a nice 20" varmint weight barrel ...... I do need to try some 62 gr TSX ... The advantage of the 70 gr is it,s stability in the wind ....... One reason I have added the 243 to my battery ......Stability in the wind ........ Some places , like up on the Denali it is always blowin one way or another ... But for around home I think the 53 gr or 62 gr TSX will be great ...........

posted Hide Post
I know a 1-9 twist will stabilize the 70gr X at 3750fps and shoot good groups....just something to think about... Big Grin

thanks
224TTH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 223AI build thats just about ready from the smith. Squared Rem 700 action, 1" Hart tube w. 1/7" twist, and a McMillian A4.

Went w. 1/7" to be able to get the TSX shooting well. My go to boooolit is the 60gr BT -- I like that the 60gr Partition shoot to close POA, but couldnt not be able to get the TSX to shoot well.

My LMT AR w. 1/7 love the TSX and shoot the hell outa the 60gr BT. So I'm crossin fingers its even better in the bolt gun.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 224TTH:
I know a 1-9 twist will stabilize the 70gr X at 3750fps and shoot good groups....just something to think about... Big Grin

thanks
224TTH
. Welcome to the forums TTH . What do you shoot them in that gets that kind of velocity ????? A WSSM ?...........
. I,m totally happy starting the 70 gr TSX BT out @ 2900 fps , as long as it is well stabilized and pretty accurate ....
. If I do decide to build for that bullet , I will lay in the bullets before I build the rifle ..... I want to try the 75gr Sirrocos also ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
75 gr scirocco is pretty long too, 1 in 8 or 1 in 7 is the way to go IMO. My bet is that neither will shoot in a 1 in 9. The shorter 69
Sierra match bullet normally works great in 1-9 barrels. My bet is 224tth is using the .224 TTH(TX Trophy Hunter).

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes I shoot a 224TTH(22-6mm)

I shoot the 70gr Xbullet at 3750fps with 47gr reloader 19.

I shooot the 69gr sierra MK at 3575fps with 47gr RL19 also.

We shot some 40gr BT bullets out of it just messin around and they shot in the upper 4500fps. This was with no pressure signs so we still had more to go.LOL

It is my groundhog,coyote, deer rifle. I have about 500rounds shot in the gun and it is a GREAT shooter and shoots FLAT.

thanks
224TTH

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I got a good deal on a barreled action one time. The action was barely broke in, just enough to polish off the burrs to be smooth. The guy said the barrel was shot out somewhere between 500 - 700 rounds. It was pretty evident when looking up the bore. It was chambered in 22/6mm Rem. As I recall, I rebarreled it in 280. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Kb; You lurk around ...... rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Meeee - lurk? Now Gumboot don't hurt my feelings. Wink

I thought what I said was relevant to the topic, and informative. Roll Eyes

There's always a price on speed.

KB

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
i know some people don,t think much of Moly tumbled bullets , But the moly greatly reduces friction and there by heat . Reduce the heat and friction and you reduce throat erosion . .. If I had some hot rod 22 or 24 cal rifle , other than shooting a new barrel in with less than a hundred rounds . Every round I shot thru it would be moly coated ...When companies like GS Custom sell all their bullets moly coated , there is a good reason for that ..... I also wouldn,t shoot hundreds of rounds at prairie dogs

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
My understanding of errosion is that it is more directly associated with the burn of the powder required to get the speed, rather than the speed of the bullet itself, whether moly coated or not. In other words, it's the hot gas jet that washes the bore rather than the abrasion of the bullet.

I agree that shooting P dogs is something for those who just want to kill. I think that if they were required to take the critters home and cook and eat them, that would be right somehow. Humm - P dog dumplings or stew. Yummy.

KB

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
My understanding of errosion is that it is more directly associated with the burn of the powder required to get the speed, rather than the speed of the bullet itself, whether moly coated or not. In other words, it's the hot gas jet that washes the bore rather than the abrasion of the bullet.

Obviously you have never skinned a prairie dog, what a stink.

I agree that shooting P dogs is something for those who just want to kill. I think that if they were required to take the critters home and cook and eat them, that would be right somehow. Humm - P dog dumplings or stew. Yummy.

KB

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickt300:

Obviously you have never skinned a prairie dog, what a stink.

So how do they taste?

KB

one of us
posted Hide Post
The cooking and tasting part was nixed by the smell part.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I definately wouldn,t say anyone shouldn,t be able to hunt to their hearts content , without someone sticking their nose into the business ... unless it is something I value , like caribou ,or Musk Ox and wanton slaughter ...........

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
I definately wouldn,t say anyone shouldn,t be able to hunt to their hearts content , without someone sticking their nose into the business ... unless it is something I value , like caribou ,or Musk Ox and wanton slaughter ...........

Shooting P dogs isn't hunting any more that a boy shooting starlings with a BB gun. Difference is that starlings aren't native, and a pest, where P dogs are part of an ecosystem native to N. A.

KB