Find
Notify
Tools

.257 weatherby questions...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
I'm looking into buying a .257 Weatherby in the next month or so. The issue I'm running into is I am left handed.

I love the looks of the lh accumark and ultralight, but $1,600-2,000 is steep for a factory rifle...but I'm still considering this route anyway.

I may look into getting a rifle and having it rechambered...what calibers should I look for to make the gunsmith have less work? .25-06? 7mm? .300?

The platforms I'm also looking into are Rem 700, Ruger #1, Browning A bolt, etc.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You won't go wrong with a Ruger #1. I have 3 that I have used for everything from jackrabbits to capebuffalo.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I love the Ruger #1. I have one in .280 and another in .458 Lott. I tried to get one in .204 but saw that the manufacturer has cut a lot of the excess calibers which is disappointing.

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I am not a Remmy 700 fan, I'd pickup a Remmy in some mag. caliber and rebarrel it. I happen to like Model 70s, but they tend to be priced higher and scarce, therefore the 700, after all it's not a DGR caliber

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I am a lefty too. I have an accurmark 257 and it is a wonderful rifle, keep your eyes peeled I picked mine up new one for $975 on close out about 5 years ago, I saw a lefty accumark 2-3 months ago at a shop with a price of $1050 with a nice set of Leupold rings on it, they are out there.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a lefty also and I just had one put together on a Remington 700 action. Look for 7 mags as for whatever reason they seem to be the cheapest. I found one in like new condition for $400. I had a lilja stainless barrel put on and I had an HS precision stock to use.
'
Once it warms up a bit, I'm looking forward to trying it out.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 51 | Location: Unalakleet, Alaska | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am a lefty also and I just had one put together on a Remington 700 action. Look for 7 mags as for whatever reason they seem to be the cheapest. I found one in like new condition for $400. I had a lilja stainless barrel put on and I had an HS precision stock to use.

+1 The 7mm Rem Mag also has the advantage of having the correct bolt head already. In fact, you can make .257 Wby brass from 7mm Rem Mag brass. Just run it through the sizer die and, voila!, 257 Wby brass that is .05" too short.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you look hard enough, you can probably find a LH Rem 700 in 7mm Rem, get a decent barrel, have it screwed on AND get a higher quality stock, hell probably even a scope...all for what you are looking to spend on the Weatherby rifle. Then again if you look hard enough you can probably find a good used Mk V

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I'll be on the look out.

I've heard a ton of mixed reviews on the Weatherby Ultralight. I love the lines of the Weatherby's, and want this rifle for my sheep rifle.

Did Remington ever produce a lh stainless rifle? I love the lines of the LSS and the Mountain TI but I prefer a LH gun. I really like the Ruger #1, and I may be able to find a Laminate/Stainless one in a similar caliber to where the swap would be easier. a 25"-28" tube would make an excellent long range gun.

AfricanHunter -- I really enjoy the Model 70's as well. I have a RH Model 70 1960 in .300 H&H/CRF...but I think it is worth leaving as is and not molesting lol.

MileHighShooter -- Where have you shopped for Aftermarket components for the Model 700?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you can get a few different stocks (B&C and possibly McMillan) in the Weatherby pattern, but inletted for the Rem. Correct me if I'm wrong fellas! But there you go, problem solved Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just double checked and you can get the Mountain TI stock, with bedding block, in LH from Bell & Carlson (that is who makes them for Rem)

http://www.stockysstocks.com/s...ti-wildermess/Detail

You'd want the Alaskan II

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
If you're not going to pay for a lefty Accumark and decide to go with a rebarrel it will be best to look for something originally chambered in 300 Win Mag. That will be the least work for a smith to finish things up.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have thought about having a #1 re-barreled with a longer than normal barrel, say 28 inches to wring all the velocity possible out of the 257. With the short #1 action it wouldn't be any longer than a bolt action with a 24 inch tube. At least not much longer. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are my my thoughts on your dilemma.
The 257 WBY is a great cartridge for deer and smaller game at any range. Probably works for elk with right bullets, but I have not shot elk with mine.

The Rem 700 custom route makes a lot of sense. Mine is a custom on a Sako action.

I have had miserable results with four Ruger number 1 rifles, accuracy and holding zero were poor at best. They all have new owners.

Don't get a 257 WBY with a barrel shorter than 26".

Good luck

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote