New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need to rechamber a 22-250
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A few years ago I managed to get a couple of very HOT loads into my Savage 112-V 22-250 with a 26 inch varmint weight barrel. After replacing the broken extractor, my gunsmith told me the rifle had excessive headspace.
I have been reloading for the rifle since then with cases necked up to .243, then sized just enough to fit in the chamber,and fireformed.
The rifle still shoots dime sized groups at 100 yd and I am considering a rechamber job.
It appears that several different reamers will clean up the chamber well. I would appreciate comments from any person having experience with 22CHeetah, 22-243, 22-244, or the AI versions of the latter two.

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
Idaho Shooter,
Rechambering to a larger case is on solution to the problem. If you wish to switch to another cartridge this is the time to do it. There is another solution that might be a good way to go. If you do change cartridges you're looking at new dies just to start with. If you have a gunsmith set your barrel back one or two threads it can be rechambered to the .22-250 and give you a new throat. The new chamber can be cut to the specs you want. This shouldn't cost but just a little more than rechambering for a new cartridge. The money you save on replacement dies and other equipment may well pay for the job. Just a suggestion. Good luck. [Smile]

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Idaho Shooter,

Ditto what Big Bob said. But if you want to go to another cartridge the .224/6mm Rem is a very good one and the cases require only running 6mm brass through the resizing die. You will have to say with the 60 grain or less bullets, though, as the 22-250 barrels do not have a fast enough twist to stabilize the heavier ones.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that you have a supply of brass perfectly fitted to your chamber, and you're getting "dime size" groups, why would you want to change anything? A new chamber may well have shorter headspace, but new brass won't fit perfectly until it has been fired in it once, anyway.

If you need an additional supply of brass for your current gun, start with 250 Savage (what a novel idea -- making .22/250 brass by necking down .250 Savage!) Or, you can use more readily avalible .243 brass if you don't mind doing a little trimming. Either way, .22-250 brass made from these shells can be sized to give perfect headspace in your current chamber.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rechamber in 22.250 or in 22.243 MIDD ( Lpua brass ) need to cut the back of your barrel of 0.3 to remove all the neck of your old 22.250 chamber and be able to make nice cut in good steel

don t forget tochange the savage factory recoil lug for one from Holland or SSS original part is poorly stamped and not really flat

I enjoy 22.243 MIDD easy to form in one stroke in full size and a nck cmouth clean up with the case trimmer able to drive bullet near mach 5 in light weight and slow pitch ( 1 in 14 ) that real long range cartridge if you swicht for a 1 in 9 and 75 gr bullet

hard to find better low cost hot rod with BR quality brass from Lapua .

good shooting

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Bruce Gordon>
posted
Hold it for just a minute.
If you have a Savage, all you actually have to do is loosen the barrel nut and use a go / no-go gage to reset the head space.
No muss
No fuss
No cost

Perhaps your problem is actually throat erosion, which is a problem that takes more than a slight clean up to take care of.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response fellows.
Why don't I just loosen the barrel nut and adjust the headspace, shucks I just thought a wildcat would be more fun.
My brass was used six or eight times before I sized it up to .243 and back down to .224, I have shot it since then about three times and am beginning to get split necks. Since I have to replace the brass anyway, I am thinking about something a little more exotic.
I experiment with a few other bullets, but primarily shoot Hornady 60 gr Spire Points. I would like to push them on up to 3750 fps with acceptable pressure.
This rifle is a single shot, so I will not have to worry about feed rail or magazine work.
I want a cartridge which I can form without using case forming dies, something which I can adjust neck diameter and fireform.
Have you gentlemen shot the 60 gr in the 22-243 or in the 22-6mm, and what velocity are you getting?
Dantec,
I think I have seen Savage recoil lugs in the Midway gunsmithing catalog at a very reasonable price. Are these worth putting on a rifle?
Also how much would I need to set the barrel back in order to chamber the rifle in 220 Swift AI?
Again, thanks for the assistance.

Idaho Shooter

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
220 swift i maller base as the 22.250 so you probaly need to cut more than a inch to sucess to find fress steel , 220 Swift AI is nice but that a more costly wilcat than the 22.243 Midd ( equal in velocity ) or the very best 22/244 AI wich is the challenger of the impressive 22/284 WIN but I prefer 22.244 AI because you have a more longer neck on 22.244 AI .

if you stay I the same case base diameter you just need to cut 1/4 inch of your barrel to doesn t mix old and new neck andget a prefect base chamber .

a very nice cartridge is the 22.250 AI 40� velocity are impressive not so fat from the 22.243 Midd .

my personal choice ( I have a left hand savage 110 ) with mac millan A3 and a set of take of heavy barrel from Savage ( inox flutted ) I have :
one in 22.250 REM ( original chamber just headspace set to the minimum )
and on in 22.243 Midd ( Lapua brass base chamber )

good shooting

DAN TEC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Midway part are far better than the factory part I use most Holland , SSS have a better pin indexing sytem and you can esay use your savage ation as a swicht barrel rifle .

change the poor factory recoil lug and set the headspace on the GO gauge is the first thing to do on a savage to increase the accuracy .

god shoting

DANTEC

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Idaho Shooter,

You can get some loading data for the .224/6mm from www.ttha.com

Also should be able to get some for the various .22 wildcats from www.centerfirecentral.com

If memory serves correctly you should be able to get around 3800 fps with the 60 grainers.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Bruce Gordon>
posted
I have a switch barrel system and like it much better than rechambering an existing barrel.

Not sure how true it is, but my gunsmith refuses to rechamber a factory barrel because he says the chambers are not cut true with the bore and you can bust several hundred dollars of reamers trying to center and rechamber a low quality factory barrel.

<Pablo>
posted
Bruce,
I tnink he smith you talked to just prefer selling new barrels, Factory barrels are unknown quantity, just rechambering will not make a better shooter, so by using new(custom) barrel just improves chane the customer will be satisfied

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Gordon:
I have a switch barrel system and like it much better than rechambering an existing barrel.

Not sure how true it is, but my gunsmith refuses to rechamber a factory barrel because he says the chambers are not cut true with the bore and you can bust several hundred dollars of reamers trying to center and rechamber a low quality factory barrel.