Find
Notify
Tools

6mm/06
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted
Hi guys, I hate to do this again, but lets try. I went down to the local store for 257 Roberts brass and started talking with the rep and to make a long story short, he shoots a 6mm/06 and loves it. 4000 fps. Brass is easy to make from 25-06 brass and feeds well.

Does anyone out there shoot this cartridge and what do you think. The rep maintains it is very flat shooting.

Thanks again!

Snapper

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know that I have heard or seen much on this round - it should basically be the same as a 6mm-284 which there is lots of data on - 3400 fps or so with a 100 gr would be a good reference.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6mm/06 is basically an unbelted 240 Weatherby.
It is a bit overbore but it is a very flat shooter. Look up the data for a 240 Wthby. and that will give you an idea of the ballistics. Use the starting loads for the 240 and work up from there as the Wthbys are freebored.
Personally I'd rather have a 25/06 imp, but that's just me!
Elk Country

Posts: 180 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up on similar cartridges, I'll take a look. It shouldn't be long before someone necks down the WSM case to 6mm. [Eek!]

Thanks for the help.

Snapper

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you looked into the 6mm Remington? Less over bore, less powder, pushes a 55 grain about 4000 plus.. Nosler lists the 55-grain ballistic tip at 4077fps. Compared to the Weatherby 240, at 4099fps. 100 grain in Weatherby hits 3352, 6mm Remington goes 3261. Both on 24in. Barrels.

Hell, if your like me, you will build one of every thing sooner or later.... Guess I am little more partial to the 6mm Remington; it is on my list of builders...

Later

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snapper-you may of heard but Win is bringing out there 243WSSM this year (also a 223 WSSM).

Snapper I'll be working 12-9 today and tomorrow and on Sunday 11-7. I'll bring the rifle down to work if you happen in look me up and I'll show it to you.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

ps I've also gone the route of the 240 Page, that was a good chuck and yote rifle. But it honestly couldn't keep up with the 6/06.

By the way here is the speeds we run out of 25" tubes.
55 BT's with IMR 4350=4400
70 BT's with IMR4350=4000
95 BT's with R25 or R22=3500-3600

[ 12-13-2002, 20:35: Message edited by: Mark R Dobrenski ]

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply Mark! I would like to see that gun. [Eek!]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try the 240 Gibbs, even more speed then the 6mm-06 and the 240 Wby. Just a little more work to form cases. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the 6mm Rem is a great cartridge, but it isnt even close to a 240 Wby Mag. The 6mm-06 and 240 wby are basically the same in the ballistics dept. I am building a 240 wby on a Ruger M77 with a douglas barrel. I am going the route of the wby because if I ever want to sell the rifle it will have better re-sell value, and I just wanted to shoot the 240. But going the route of the 6mm-06 also is excellent. Both of these cartridges will still outperform the 243 WSM based on ballistics I have read. The biggest negative on the 240 is the cost of ammo or brass. But, on the other hand, I have ammassed alot of brass, so I am ready to load for it.

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One key point I would like to add. I am going with a 26 inch barrel. Guys that shoot 240's tell me it is an advantage in gaining the claimed ballistics of Weatherby on the 240, even though they now only make a 24 inch barrel. My take on this is, if you are like me, and you are wanting the fastest of the 6mm cartridges, then go with the 26 inch barrel. With that, you should be able to push a 95 - 100 grain bullet around 3300-3400 FPS.

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 240 Gibbs and love it. My load isnt a screamer with 69 grns H870 and a 95 grn Nosler@ 3400. But the pressure is so mild I have only neck sized the brass since I started shooting the load. It is also wonderfully accurate in my rifle.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My gunsmith is driving me crazy, he has had the rifle over 2 months, but is still waiting on the reamer. Says the brand he uses is currently out of stock until they make another run. He talked me out of a 6mm-06, but that is definately the other one I would have built. Sometimes I wonder why that cartridge wasnt standardized as the availability of 30-06 and variations is enormous. You would have thought Remington would have done it, but they seem to be letting Winchester run away with the short mag game. A 257, or 6.5 short mag would have great appeal to me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
TSJ, with your 240 Gibbs, what are you hunting with it? Just curious.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a downside to wildcats, I have a 6mm-284 that is sudden death on coyotes. The dies and brass were stored at a friends house while I was out of the country. The barn has been re-arranged and we can't find either dies or brass. I am sure they will turn up, but until then it is an expensive poorly designed club. If it were a 22-250, Swift, 243, etc., I could go buy a box of shells and start shooting. Luckily I have Plan B to fall back on; a 264 is excellent coyote medicine.

As mentioned above a 6mm Rem or a 25-06 either plain or Akley version are probably better choices.

Saludos....Frank

Posts: 145 | Location: Katy, Tx | Registered: 06 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gringo, pick yourself up a Lyman neck sizer die for the 6mm. Inexpensive and it should get you shooting again, unless you have a tight neck chamber. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Surprised no one has mentioned barrel life yet. If shots are few and far between, say 5 shots in a day at coyotes and fox, the barrel will probably last years. However, it would be nothing to shoot out a barrel chambered in such a cartridge in a couple days of p-dog shooting! With speed comes shortened barrel life, no way around it (until they come out with some ceramic-titanium-carbonfiber barrel, hehe). Peace

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good idea, Dan. I will give it a try.

Suerte...Frank

Posts: 145 | Location: Katy, Tx | Registered: 06 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I were to want to plug away at prairie dogs, or ground squirrels, chuckers, etc, I would select a 223, or 22-250, etc. Yes I dont plan on banging away all day with my 240. What I want is a flat shooting, hard hitting, 6mm. If you did want to do that though, just load it down. I think most of us that desire the screemers, probably are aware of that. There is always a price for top performance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Until 1-2 years ago the 6mm-06 or 243-06 held the world record at 1000 yards for group size. It's considered an excellent long range accuracy caliber and has been around for a long time. My gunsmith has been using one for years and is up to over 120 deer with it with no problems. Of course he really knows how to shoot.

I have one and it is very accurate and very forgiving in terms of load variations. A long barrel is good to squeeze out that extra velocity you may be after.

All in all, for varmints it may be a bit of overkill while it's a bit light for bigger game. That said, it's maybe a good compromise.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PPG in Oregon ( Dave Kiff ) deliver reamer in 3/4 week maximum and doesn t charge more for wilcat

6 REM AI can deliver very hight velocity

BIG PROBLEM with 6/06 is case lenghtneing, you need to cse trim closely each shot

and don t forget to use tight base chamber to avoid primer loose , origina 06 base is military design not hight pressure wilcat

good shooting

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think the round is any more likely to lengthen than any other. That should really depend directly on the shoulder angle and overall case taper used with your reamer, whether or not you full length size vs. neck only, and maybe to a certain degree the brass used.

In other words, similar calibers with identical shoulder angles and case taper are pretty well going to lengthen at the same rate.

FWIW, I've never experienced a problem with this round but my chambering is improved and runs a higher degree shoulder angle than the standard '06 case.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote