THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    anybody shooting a 5.7 johnson??... or .22 spitfire??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anybody shooting a 5.7 johnson??... or .22 spitfire??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted
traded for one of the IAI mfg'd 5.7 johnsons this last weekend at a gunshow.. got redding dies, and close to 1000 rounds of loaded ammunition... rifle has a simmons 4x scope on it... from what little I can find on the web, the company has had a troubled past... anybody shoot one of these??.. thanks, jim

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you're testing my memory - i had an original one years back (like about 40 or so) i remember it was fun gun but really fussy on loads. just a pinch to much powder blew primers, i think i used something like 8 gr of 2400. it'd be one of the cheapest things you could shoot today

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How is the scope mounted? Offset? The M1 Carbine used straight up ejection and was difficult to mount a scope on because of that. I can't remember how the 5.7 Johnsons went about addressing that problem.

Anyway, I think it's a neat little cartridge -- should be about the same capacity as a .218 Bee, but with stouter brass and capable of being loaded to a higher pressures and velocities. The M-1 just wasn't such a great platform for such a cartridge.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a spare barrel that I want to try this with in a howa mini. A small bolt action with a 30 round magazine appeals to me. I don't think the CZ 527 or small Sako actions can work with the double stack magazine very well, but the mini seems made for it.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
got to shoot it today... not very good.... first 2 shots blew primers...the rest fired ok.... all had ejection problems.... pulled bolt and found that ejector plunger is damaged... don't know if it happened on the first 2 shots or was like that before... I found a bolt disassembly tool and ejector plunger on Numrich... guess it'll be a couple weeks until the next attempt...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote