New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5WSM on Deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have killed 2 deer now with the 6.5WSM and 125 grain Partitions. Awesome combination, and that bullet is hard to stop. First deer was double lung over the top of the heart. Big blood spray 1.5" exit. 140 pound went 60 yards after the hit. 2nd deer 120 pound doe quartering to. Shot through the point of the shoulder, destroyed front of scapula, through lung, liver paunch, out and smashed off side femur at knee, deer flipped - DRT. First deer @ 135 yards second @ 80 yards. Curious to se what it would take to stop this bullet.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
What are you getting for speeds with that bullet, what load?
Any difficulties loading for it?
What rifle do you have it in?
I've been on the verge of having one built for awhile.
Sounds like you have a good thing going!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Curious to se what it would take to stop this bullet.

Penetration; it's what the 6.5mm is all about; if you want to see COMPLETE penetration (like your getting sub-standard now!) try a tottering along 160 gr. RN. It's not about speed, either, if you want to see really-y-y outstanding penetration; try the:

Hornady 6.5mm .264" 160 gr InterLock® RN
I use these to load in 2 friends 6.5x57R Drillings and they will penetrate the heaviest Wild Boar from any angle.

They're not exactly streamlined by today's standards but brother; you can shoot stem-to-sterm through just about anything.

One Pal, who also asks me to load the 120 gr. NP's in his 6.5x55 swears by them, too; good bullet.

Waidmannsheil with your 6.5mmWSM.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I built a 6.5 WSM some years ago, and we took it to Africa in 2008. My boys used it for warthog, impala, red hartebeast, and I even shot a wildebeast with it. We were running a 120 Barnes TSX at 3300 fps, and it was absolutely impressive. Myself being strictly a big bore sort of fellow, I was impressed. No animal other than the wildebeast took a step, dropped to the shot. The wildebeast went 15 yards and piled up stone cold.

Today if I were to take it out again I would use the 100 gr ESP Raptor, which would enhance the capabilities even more, if that were possible!

Very impressive little cartridge. I now have two, the same FeatherWeight with 22 inches of barrel, and a second one with a heavier barrel, both Winchester M70s.

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Quintus: the 125 Partition is my fav bullet for my 264WM. Have dropped a lot of deer with this combo. The only bullet that did not exit: entered between the shoulders of a mature buck almost head-on, at about 175yds. He dropped like a rock. When I reached him, there was a small bump on his rump. I cut the skin and found a bullet fully ready for posting in a Nolser ad.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 140 grain Accubond in my 6.5x55. DRT.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My rifle is a Winchester CRF with a 24" Hart barrel. I am burning RL22 and running just under 3300fps.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:
quote:

Penetration; it's what the 6.5mm is all about; if you want to see COMPLETE penetration (like your getting sub-standard now!) try a tottering along 160 gr. RN. It's not about speed, either, if you want to see really-y-y outstanding penetration; try the:

oldI've used the Hornady 160s in the 6.5 Carcano, 6.5X55 and the 6.5X.284. All did well to spectacular on mule deer up to 300#. My new 6.5 R-Bar Is MOA or better with them. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've used the Hornady 160s in the 6.5 Carcano, 6.5X55 and the 6.5X.284. All did well to spectacular on mule deer up to 300#. My new 6.5 R-Bar Is MOA or better with them.

Yo Rog,

We're on a mind-meld Bubba; 'cause if you know what I know - the Hornady 160's in pretty much any 6.5mm cartridge is a really good, if not, specatacular combination.

Didn't do a Google yet for the 6.5 R-Bar because this cartridge is completely unknown to me but by my way of figuring it simply has to be more of the same Good 6.5mm Thing.

I always wonder why the light comes on with folks who get so excited about the .257 Roberts ..... I know.

Waidmannsheil!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Gerry:

I know the light!

I have a little Ruger .257 Bob with a 22 inch barrel. I shoot 100 grain TSX bullets over 46.5 grains of Ramshot Hunter. Although I have not chronographed this load, the Barnes Manuel shows that load as running at 3126 fps out of a 24 inch barrel. It is deadly on deer and would make a great load for sheep and most plains game in Africa. Is the light coming on?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:

Didn't do a Google yet for the 6.5 R-Bar because this cartridge is completely unknown to me but by my way of figuring it simply has to be more of the same Good 6.5mm Thing.

Waidmannsheil!

beerThe 6.5R-Bar is a wild cat I designed and had built.The performance with a 160grain bullet surpasses the .260. This is accomplished with a long neck and a deep throat. old roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have been using the 125gr NP in my 6.5 Rem Mag for years without one regret. 59gr of RL-22 gives me a little more than 3100 fps. Good killer. Little meat damage. Have yet to recover one.
George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the 6.5WSM and I would get one if I didn't own a 6.5-06 already.
I really recommend you to try the 120 grain Barnes TTSX bullet in your 6.5WSM.

I started to use the 120 grain Barnes TTSX bullet in my 6.5-06 this year and I am really impressed with how the bullet has performed so far.
Very accurate.
1 Reindeer and 3 Fallow deer have been shot.
All 4 was shot on the scapula or just behind it.
Closest was 120 meters and the longest was 180 meters.
3 was DRT and the last ran 30 meters before piling up.
Very little meat damage on all 4 animals.

I know 4 animals are not saying much, but at least it has given me an indication that it performs very well when I compare it with how other bullets have performed in the 6.5-06.

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Have a switch-barrel Rem 700 short action in 6.5WSM and.338WSM. Love them both. With the 6.5WSM, both a friend and I use the 125 NP and never have needed anything else. Of course, for elk, we go to the .338WSM and 210gr Nosler partion.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
Have a switch-barrel Rem 700 short action in 6.5WSM and.338WSM. Love them both. With the 6.5WSM, both a friend and I use the 125 NP and never have needed anything else. Of course, for elk, we go to the .338WSM and 210gr Nosler partion.

Prof242, what velocities are you getting with both the 6.5 and 338WSMs?

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote