New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako 222
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Awhile back, in a moment of weakness, I sold my Sako 222 Vixen. Had "sellers remorse" as the guy walked up the road with it. Don`t get me wrong. I got good money for it but regretted it immediately.
Broke down and bought another one this week. I got it from a youngster who`s father had just died and he was clearing out his hunting things. This one is a Mannlicher style [222] and about as primo as they get. It came with an old Weaver K- 6 [60 C] that is clear and has very interesting crosshairs in the it has two lateral hairs and the normal crocchairs. I will most likely change out the scope and E-Bugger it but not until I shoot it first and see what it`s all about.
The rifle has already started an "International Incident" here by being invited to dinner last night. That was bad enough but I think I crossed the line when I took it upstairs into the sancity of our bedroom! My better half said the rfile had to go downstairs into the gun room OR ELSE!! Regrettably the poor thing spent it`s first night at KCG in the lock-up.
To be honest?? This is one of the nicest rifles I have come across in many moons. Just a real handsome piece with about all an old fart like me would want! Balances beatifully and weighs about 6.5lbs or less. I am looking forward to shooting it later next week and just wanted to share with all of you this lovely addition to my arsenal. I wish I could post pictures of this lovely rifle.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm jealous!!!

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Glad you found your rifle and I appreciate the way you voice your sentiments. I do the same with my treasures.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the second line in the scope was weavers idea of a range finder it was supposed to extend 18" at 100 which was supposed to be the measurement ofa deers brisket to top of chest. can't help you with taking it to bed much, just claim you have a headache

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm drooling, how about a picture? Please!

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I lucked into a Sako .222 Mannlicher a couple of years ago. Despite the "extra" wood bearing on the non-floated barrel, it shoots groups just as tight as its more conventional sporter counterpart. The short barrel and Continental look make it a joy to carry and shoot. I topped mine with a wonderfully matched little Leupold 2-7X Compact in extra low rings.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my younger days those beautiful little Manlichers with that old Sako action were fairly common and I probably owned a half dozen of them over the years, they kept going up in price and I kept doubling my money on them and now I am without...I loved them, shot a lot of coyotes, rabbits, bobcats and whatever, and even let the kids shoot a few deer with one..Hang on to it, it will just keep going up in value every year. Wish I had kept one, they bring big bucks today upwards to $2000 in prestine condition..I bought them for $50 to $75. to start with, the last one I bought was $1200. and I sold it..Every one I owned shot very well indeed.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Inherited a 50s vintage L46 sporter with a 8X Lyman Wolverine when my hunting buddy of 30 yrs broke his neck in a farm accident.Think he killed 2k+ nutria with it and it still will shoot 3/8" with Rem green/yellow box.Scary!

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The old L-46 in 222 Rem. in rifle or manlicher version was the best 222 caliber rifle ever built to this day nothing compares with it..Never part with it or the 8X Lyman...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
The old L-46 in 222 Rem. in rifle or manlicher version was the best 222 caliber rifle ever built to this day nothing compares with it..Never part with it or the 8X Lyman...

Yeh, I have one of those which I got NIB about 4 years ago in a 7-gun trade. One of these days it will no doubt find a new home, but not while I'm still alive! I sold my Vixens (222 & .223) after I got that L-46. Didn't need them anymore. (Have an L-42 also, in 7x33.)

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

I also owned a L-46 Sako in .222 Rem. Sold it years ago and to this day regret ever selling it!!

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
...The rifle has already started an "International Incident" here by being invited to dinner last night. That was bad enough but I think I crossed the line when I took it upstairs into the sancity of our bedroom! My better half said the rfile had to go downstairs into the gun room OR ELSE!! Regrettably the poor thing spent it`s first night at KCG in the lock-up.

Hope this hubbub has blown over by now. Smiler

Those little Sako .222s bring back a lot of memories. My Dad was a fox hunter when I was a young lad and I remember his gun well. In fact, it is in my gun safe for the duration that I remain on this Earth. I picked up another one along the way too, but neither are Mannlichers. Your thread made me realize I need to get them out and put a few rounds through them again. It has been a while.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I still have a L461 round top that I built my first 6x45 ultra light weight African rifle on. I built it the first year the .223 was introduced or close to that.

Its my scaled down English rifle with a Douglas barrel and egg cheek Piece short forearm and Neidner butt plate with Talley grip cap, and an awesome piece of full fiddle back blood red Claro..Looks like a 416 Rigby that fell in the wash and shrunk. weighs 5.5 pounds with an 18 inch barrel and a 3x9 compact in old world solid Redfield rings that screw in the top and custom modified Redfield bases,

I have never gotten around to adding the barrel band front sight, barrel band swivel and barrel band rear sight simply because it shot .264 for a bunch of 5 shot groups and the same for 10 shot groups, all one hole about the size of a dime or nickel.

Don't mess with them when they shoot like that. Won a truck load of turkeys and hams and culled Kudu, Impala, Springbok not to mention a handful of Deer and Pronghorn, coyotes bobcats and rock chucks..

A keeper, and for me that's a miracle.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
Are you sure you didn't leave any out?( animals)

Cool
Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote