Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber Pro Varmint .204
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of coyote bait
posted
Which Kimber Pro Varmint in a .204 Ruger would be better?
The old model or the new model?

Life is too short to be taken seriously, it is only temporary and none of us are getting out of it alive.

Posts: 45 | Location: Miltonvale, Kansas | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
which day of the week is better? Probably one that ends in Y.

Some kimbers shoot, some don't.
I'd prefer one that shoots bug holes to one that don't, be they new or old.

AS an aside, for the same money you could probably buy a used cooper on gunbroker. Never met a Cooper that would not shoot.

Here is a Cooper Classic in Tac 20. It's become my go to varminter.

Also the Savage 10 predator at 1/2 the price wouldn't be to shabby.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Which is why my favorite local shop quit carrying them. Too many customers got ones that didn't shoot.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
Had a buddy that bought a Kimber in .204 and wanted to get it to shoot bad. Sent it back twice and then sold it, must have been one of the bad ones.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
T,
Sounds like he did not need to send it back to the factory to shoot "bad". dancing

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of coyote bait
posted Hide Post
Oh Great. Lately I have been hearing a lot of bad things about Kimber. Now I am going to have to start all over again trying to decide what to get a 204 in.

Life is too short to be taken seriously, it is only temporary and none of us are getting out of it alive.

Posts: 45 | Location: Miltonvale, Kansas | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CB,

I've owned 7 Kimbers (Yonkers) in 260 rem,, 308 win and 325 wsm in the Montana's,

270 wsm,(2) 300 wsm(2) in classics. They all shot fine with a little work (under 1" groups at 100 yds)

The first three I bought retail. The next four I paid less than $700 each off gun broker.
I've a couple of buds that have had excellent luck with the pro varmints in 223 and 22-250.

Be patient. Buy them cheap and blow them out if they don't shoot.
GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
which day of the week is better? Probably one that ends in Y.

I'd prefer one that shoots bug holes to one that don't, be they new or old.

AS an aside, for the same money you could probably buy a used cooper on gunbroker. Never met a Cooper that would not shoot.

Here is a Cooper Classic in Tac 20. It's become my go to varminter.

Also the Savage 10 predator at 1/2 the price wouldn't be to shabby.

GWB

Rock solid advice is being given here. After buying a couple of Kimbers for my wife and being frustrated with each one, never again.
But every Savage I've owned was a tack driver and currently own three Coopers and there build quality is superb.
If it were me I would buy a Savage and work upwards if I had to. But I'm betting the Savage will knock your socks off if you can accept how they look.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote