THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Putting the Supercharger on the Old 22.250?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Putting the Supercharger on the Old 22.250?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted
Psted on the varmint forum also..

Doing my usual reload and testing, to occupy my leisure time, instead of watching the Boob Tube, or mowing the lawn...

went out and did some testing on the old 22.250 to see some velocity on some loads that had shot quite well at the range earlier this week..

two powders I haven't used much on the 22.250, one old and one new were RL 17 and IMR 3031...3031 has been used in the past in the 22.250 but it is off the trendy list, so it isn't talked up much...

if it was a new powder I think varmint hunters would be talking it up big time....

Given 1/2 sized groups or better out of two of my 22.250s, a Ruger with a 22 inch barrel, and a Model 70 with a 28 inch Pac Nor barrel...

I always test velocity over a chronograph by using at least 3 shots and averaging them, to see how consistency is...

well with a 50 grain bullet ( Varmint Nightmare Extremes) and a charge of 36 grains of IMR 3031 ( 9/10ths of a grain over what is listed in the Sierra Manual), with a Federal Large Rifle primer, the chronograph gave a three readings that averaged 4044 fps, ( with minimal deviation spread!)

That reading was out of the 22 inch barrel tho!!

Then a batch tried out of the 28 inch barrel was right at 4200 fps once again with minimal deviation spread!

This should be noted that this IS NOT out of a 22.250 AI...

some of you boys with Quick Load, please feel free to chime in and give us a press estimate..

My personal needs don't really need to run a 22.250 at this velocity... in fact, I usually run mine at 223 speeds, and run my 223s at 218 Bee Speeds or so..

but it sure is nice to know that this velocity potential is possible... primers went in on the next reload nice and tight, just like being brand new..

the above tests were the first use out of this batch of Win Brass...

cheers
seafire

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I don't have that bullet but using the Sierra 50 gr sof point, the 3031 load gave 63,197 psi and velocities about 200 feet slower than your results for both barrels in QL.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, you should stick to bluedot. At least we all know about your experience with that powder.

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Blue Dot is one of a zillion powders I experiment with...

contrary to popular belief it is not my 'favorite' powder...

If I was only allowed to have one powder it would probably be IMR 4895 or IMR 4064....

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Seafire,
If you were going to limit yourself to one powder with your .22-250, what would it be?

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
IMR 4895 or RL 7

one of us
posted Hide Post
see reply in the other place that seafire posted the same topic.
Tonight, as I sit here and pontify and type, if I was relegated to only one powder for the 22-250.................................VARGET! GHD PS: Qualifier needed here! I have never owned, sold(I do have a little gunshop) or loaded any RL 17 powder. It may be the cat's meow..........that's why they keep making more powders............so all us "powderphiles" will buy some and try it!! If they top the IMR 3031 or VARGET with a variation they've done a day's work! And nobody on the whole thread mentioned H-380 or H-414!!

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I have used H380 solely in my .22-250 but will be trying Varget as it is one of my most favored powders. I use H414 quite a bit also.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use H380 and RL15 from Alliant in my Ruger M77 and remington M700.
Do notice that on both of these that my guns provide best groups with lighter loads. .44" @100 for the Remington and for you Ruger haters out there....I get .34"@100yards accuracy with my M77...all factory....Sierra 53 FB HP .224

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wish someone would make a 22-250 with a 1-9 twisted barrel.... Smiler

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy P Coaltrain:
wish someone would make a 22-250 with a 1-9 twisted barrel.... Smiler

Savage has them cataloged...

I have one custom barrel with a one in 7 twist and a friend is waiting to receive a barrel with a one in 8 twist for his Savage Action...going with a 22.250 AI on that one..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,
I have 2 rifles chambered in 22/250AI and they both like IMR 4895, 39grs= 3,998 with a 55gr. Sierra that shoots in the low 2's. This is a blueprinted 700 and the other is a 1908 Brazilian 98 that shoots 5 shot groups that you can cover with a dime and some change left over.
Both rifles have Shilen stainless match barrels.
Drop the charge a bit to start. Both are 1/14"

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
yeah, I am looking to add a 22.250 AI to my battery....horsetrading for a Barrel for a Savage...

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
yeah, I am looking to add a 22.250 AI to my battery....horsetrading for a Barrel for a Savage...

popcornMight be able to help you out there in the not too distant future. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I bought my 40 XBKS (.220 Swift) back in the early 90's, the factory test target that came with it had been loaded with IMR 3031. I figured if it was good enough for the custom shop it should be for me, and did alot of my early load developement with that powder. It shot accurately, and I never had too much reason to change. I shot alot of 3031 through that rifle, but never really noticed velocities being that great in the Swift.

In more recent years I have gone to 4064 in both the Swift and .22-250, and really like it for both as well. I know you like reduced loads sometimes, and IMR 4064 has a good accuracy node down around 34.0 to 34.5 that is pretty mild and easy on brass (in the 22-250).

Posts: 417 | Location: TX panhandle | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
JTP....

IMR 4895 and IMR 4064 see a lot of use at my reload bench...for calibers from the 223 thru the 338 Win Mag...

always feel I am getting low when I am down to my last 8lb container of each...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear ya on that. i could load everything I own with 4064 if I needed to...

But back to the topic, I never noticed 3031 being that great in the velocity dept, at least for me.

Posts: 417 | Location: TX panhandle | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote