New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 Hornet data
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone got data for 50 grain Nosler (looks like ballistic tip) spire point, using WW-296 powder?

I've dug around all morning on the net and found nothing!
Might be it's just too hot for the heavier bullets!

Thanks guys:

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Chuck, pressure will peak suddenly with this combo, so be careful. Velocity can be amazing though, hope you are shooting in a Ruger #1.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
308Sako
I haven't tried it yet!

I know 296 can be touchy, so that's why I was looking for solid data first!

The rifle that this load is/was going to be used in is an older model H&R nickle plated Handi Rifle!

Kind of looks like I need to go back to the IMR 4227. I was shooting 11.2 grains of it behind a 45 grain Rem SP! I just wanted some 50 grainers!

Thanks for your reply!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never could get a 50 grain pill to stabilize in several of the Hornets I have owned.

FWIW, I have used Lil Gun and AA1680 with very good results in mine using 40 grain Noslers and Sierra Blitzs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck, I've no experience with WW296 in the Hornet...but L'il Gun is another story. It favors heavier bullets in the Hornet as it sometimes generates large ES values with the 40 grain and under bullets. Lots of velocity though, better than 296 or H110, and the pressures seem mild. My gun was reamed to K-Hornet some time back and I'm crusin' 3200'ish fps with Hornady 45 gr. Hornet bullets from a #1, accuracy in the 7's, all day long. The load is within parameters for normal Hornet loads as stipulated by Hodgdon. People experience excellent results with the Hornet as well using this powder. Some guns work the light bullets well however, and the 40 gr. BT and VMAX may tread up to the 3200 fps realm, or faster, even in the Plain Hornet. I had a Hodgdon tech tell me one day that you could fill the Hornet case with L'il gun and not hurt the gun. I remain skeptical of that on its face, but a 13.0 grain load will pretty near stuff the case full. L'il Gun rules.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308Sako:
Chuck, pressure will peak suddenly with this combo, so be careful. Velocity can be amazing though, hope you are shooting in a Ruger #1.

Mine is a Win M70, should I trade?

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DD is right Lil Gun rules in the hornet and K hornet....very consistant and best velocity per grain.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote