THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .223WSSM & Barnes X bullets for big game?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223WSSM & Barnes X bullets for big game?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am contemplating a .223WSSM, probably a Winchester Coyote, since thats about all that we have availiable here at the moment.
How has this caliber performed with bullets like the 55gn Barnes X on larger game like wild pigs?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EXPRESS:
I am contemplating a .223WSSM, probably a Winchester Coyote, since thats about all that we have availiable here at the moment.
How has this caliber performed with bullets like the 55gn Barnes X on larger game like wild pigs?

While I own a Winchester M70 Coyote in .223 WSSM and I shoot Barnes bullets through it I would never shoot Wild Hogs with it. Maybe little pigs, under 100 pounds live weight, but never anything bigger. I don’t trust those little high speed .224 bullets to get through the gristle plate should that be the only shot available. Following wounded Razorbacks into thick brush isn’t my idea of fun. The .223 WSSM was designed for varmints/targets as far as I am concerned. Lawdog
thumb

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I believe the 223 WSSM and the 224 TTH inside 200 yards can be excellent killers of game under 250 pounds with well placed shots. My experience with X bullets is very limited but I have had some good results from either of Hornady's 60 grain bullets the HP and SP. Place them behind the shoulder or in the neck and collect your deer. Penetration will be at least to the far side and you will get exit holes at least half the time. I have used these bullets in the 22-250 and 223 never having to0 chase anything anywhere. The 223 WSSM obviously was designed as a light game round as well as a varmint rifle because bullets are factory loaded for both purposes.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 53gr TSX on a mule deer buck last year out of my 223 WSSM Coyote. It exited at 175 yrds after breaking ribs on both sides and going through the leg on the off side. It wasn't a huge buck, but the TSX seemed to work fine.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Express-if you would please define what you mean by big game.

I've used it quite a bit and have a ton of confidence in the lil slug. It will do some amazing work if you do your part.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, I used the term big game to avoid saying "pigs and Deer" because I have different deer and different ideas on pigs.

I am pretty confident that the .223 WSSM will work just fine with the TSX on all manner of Italian game. The .243 would be more suitable in the eyes of most people, but I have no worries about placing my bullets so it's not a real concern for me. I like the idea of zeroing @ 150m and not compensating out to 350m...

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Express let me just say that I would not hesitate to use it for most game. And with the game that you mentioned then I would get after it for sure.

My wife and I used the bullet out of a 22/250 last fall to take 4 deer one day. All four hit the turf with one shot and we found one bullet.

My wife hit one of hers at 140 yds quartering to us. It hit the turf toot sweet. She hit it on the point of the near shoulder and the bullet was found in the hams on the far quarter. That I would allow is plenty of penetration, it looked picture perfect and still weighed 53 grains.

We used the 53 TX out of a 223 the other day to take two antelope at 200 yds, both went down to the shot. Lights out dramatic kills.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote