New
Find
Notify
Tools

bullet tumble
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My wife was given a Sako Rhiminki(sp) 222 Rem. I shot a few times 2 years ago and it was not grouping at all, first shot high, second shot low, third shot high again and 4th low again. I thought it was the vintage Nickel scope, so this morning I replaced the scope and had hell getting it on paper at 100 yds. So the scope is not the problem, now what? Well, I moved the target to 45 yds and got about a 12 in group with some custom handloads with 55 gr Sierra Blizkings. All entered the target sideways. Well, my question is what causes this and how do I fix it? Thanks, JC

Posts: 230 | Location: Palo Pinto Mountains | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
There's a pretty big list of what could do that!

Look at the barrel. Clean no fouling (copper)?

Crown good?

Appropriate bullet weight for the twist?

Scope tight? Not broken internally?

You doing your part?

Posts: 964 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornPersoanally, my first thought is that the twist can not handle the bullet. Had exactly the same problem years ago with the 22 hornet and 50 gr. bullets. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might try bullets in the 40 to 52gr range.
I have had good luck with them in the past.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that the twist is likely the problem. Try some shorter bullets and see what happens then.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Twist and clean would be my guess however a 1/14 twist which was standard before they started trying to make a .243 out of a .223 should handle a 55gr bullet. What bullet?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first call would be the bullet weight
versus the twist.

Try a lighter bullet - Also try a few bullets of a different shape - boat tail / no oat tail, flat bottomed, rounded etc etc.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who responded. Problem is solved, my brother-in-law had some 50 gr Winchester ammo that shot 5 under an inch this morning. Thanks again, JC

Posts: 230 | Location: Palo Pinto Mountains | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
1:14" twist is marginal for a .222 with 55 grain bullets, especially if loaded to below-maximum velocity and if the air's cold and dense.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't know that. I thought a 1/14 was standard for centerfire .22's. Hmmmm. I've had a .222, .223, & a 22-250 all at the same time and for ease of inventory, I bought 55gr bullets by the thousands. They seemed to work okay. I've never trid any 45-50gr bullets in the .222 however.