Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hum. 204 or 20 vartarg
 Login/Join

posted
Currently I shoot a 17 mach IV and a 221 fireball. Both in the CZ527 american frame
I have another rifle landing Friday that is in a 204 Ruger chamber. Also a CZ527.
Since I have brass for the 221 fireball already. I'm part way there with the supplies needed to add another onto the brass. Do I re barrel to a 20 Vartarg.
Or stick with a factory chamber of 204 ruger.
I don't have dies, or cleaning equipment yet for the rifle.

I'm just a paper, can and critter shooter.
My daughter (age 9) shoots the two rifles above frequently. My youngest daughter is asking to go shooting with dad and sister (age 4)

Keep the 204 or change?

Thoughts

one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
I shoot both and love each of them for what they are.

The 204 is my favorite in the prairie dog fields. Accurate and confirmed hits well past 600 yards. I really think the 204 is right on par with the 22-250 without all the muzzle blast and recoil. My rifle only really likes the 40 grain V Max bullets.

My 20 VT is on a left handed CZ that started life as a 223. Rebarreled and bedded up by Jim Kobe.

It shoots the 32 grain bullets best and from all I've found and my experience it's best to keep velocities under 3700 fps. It's a great light weight varminter that is fun to shoot and very accurate.

The 204 has factory ammunition offerings where the 20 VT is really only a hand loading proposition even though there are a very few factory loads out there.

I've always just sized the 221 Fireball and found that fire formed and those cases only resized shoot exactly the same. This has been confirmed by several fellow 20 VT shooters and their reloading results.

Choose either and you'll be happy.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 681 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two 20 VTs and two 204R. The two 204s are Rem 700s, both customer barrel, with Mcmillan stocks. The heavy barrel one is for PDs and an excellent gun/cartridge. The other is a sporter barrel that I sometimes us for coyote calling. Shot two with it last week.
One 20VT is on a Sako A1 action and Mcmillan stock with sporter barrel. Its for coyote calling.
The other 20VT is on a Rem XR 100 single shot with a heavy barrel. I use it for PDs.
All four of these were made by Jim Kobe.
I really like the 20VT, but if I could have only one 20 calicer, the 204R would win by a nose.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 527 in 204, great combo. Unless I wanted another wildcat, which at the present time I don't, I'll continue down the 204 road.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have considered a CZ in Ruger.204 for awhile. The reason I think I'd like it is that I really like .20 cal in air rifles. To me it is the best of both over .177"s and .22's. PART of the reason I have not is the backwards safety on CZ's. The main reason is I just can't justify it with the rifles I have. I am really glad to hear 17 Ackley has those young girls shooting. I'm sure they will enjoy either of the two choices.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I did my 20 VT on an XR 100 204 barrel simply by cutting 16 mm from the chamber end and re-chambering for the VT. Has been an exceptional rifle.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
I have considered a CZ in Ruger.204 for awhile. The reason I think I'd like it is that I really like .20 cal in air rifles. To me it is the best of both over .177"s and .22's. PART of the reason I have not is the backwards safety on CZ's.

CZ has just come out with a new action for their larger calibers which uses a safety operating in the conventional manner. I guess they finally caught on that their backward safety was a liability time bomb. I suspect that they will replace the 527 action with a similar update in the near future. If they'll also use a low-profile bolt handle which will allow low scope mounting, replace the removable clip with an internal flush box magazine, and use stain instead of paint for a stock finish, then they'll have a real winner.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had both on Sako's with Maddco barrels.

Sold the 20VT and have kept the 204 Ruger.

Evidently though Lapua is bringing out 221 Fireball brass......that will be a plus for 20VT owners.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot both and like them very much.If I were to build a 20 caliber it would be the 20 tactical. Lots of 223 brass around.

One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
I believe its the 20 practical that is made from 223 brass..That said I love my 20VT

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to offend anyone but both of these rounds are based on the 223 case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AndynMe:
I don't want to offend anyone but both of these rounds are based on the 223 case.

Sir,

Both the 20 Practical and the 20 Tactical have the 223 Rem as the parent case.

IIRC, the 204 Ruger has the 222 Mag for the parent case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.204_Ruger

IIRC
The 20 Vartarg is the 221 fireball necked down to 17 cal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.20_VarTarg

The Tac-20 and the 20 Vartag were pretty much brought to prominence by Todd Kindler of the Woodchuck Den and the Publisher of Small Caliber news.

IMHO Steve Hornady did Todd dirt with the 204 Ruger. But what do I know.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:

Both the 20 Practical and the 20 Tactical have the 223 Rem as the parent case.

the 204 Ruger has the 222 Mag for the parent case.

The 20 Vartarg is the 221 fireball necked down to 20 cal.

The Tac-20 and the 20 Vartag were pretty much brought to prominence by Todd Kindler of the Woodchuck Den and the Publisher of Small Caliber news.

IMHO Steve Hornady did Todd dirt with the 204 Ruger. But what do I know.

Fixed

Don't you just hate those pesky typos

Posts: 493 | Registered: 01 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DenisB:

Fixed

Don't you just hate those pesky typos[/QUOTE]

Sir,

Thanx for the assistance. Like I said earlier, as a CYA,

"What do I know?"

LOL

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote