Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BBR 257 Roberts +P?
 Login/Join

posted
I have had a BBR in 257 Roberts for 20 years now and havent shot it for close to 17. I was thinking about handloading some varmint loads for it in either the 75 or 87 grn. I have been looking at the velocity of these rounds in the modern data and found them very impressive. The question that I have is can I shoot the +P loads in the Browning BBR and do you have to use the +P brass when handloading +P loads? Thanks in advance,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR!

IIRC the Browning BBR is the predecessor to the A Bolt and was made in the early 80's. If that is correct, it is a modern bolt action and should have no problem with +P 257 loads. As to your second question, IMO it would be prudent to use +P brass, if you are going to load to +P pressures. good luck, let us know how it shoots!

BTW, try the 75gr VMax!

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A to weather or not the rifle is safe, I would ask myself what other rounds were chamberd in it. Example if the same rifle was chamberd in 25,06 .270 or 7mm Rem mag you can do fine with a roberts. I belive the =p Roberts preasure is 50000 CUP. While the other rounds I mentioned are 52 or 53000. Draw your own conclusions. I shoot the Roberts in 2 rifles. I use the data from the latest barnes manual with H-414 and the 100 grain barnes tripple shock.
Its a prety hot load. In my 20' Ruger I get 3140 Fps and I use Winchester brass. My other roberts is a low numberd springfield. I use more caution with it but I am at max from most modern mauals with that one too ! ...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Good answers above. The pressure of the +P is closer to modern pressures where the old standard for the Roberts was down in the mid 40k range I think. This was because of the old war models being chambered for it.

If you are using +P data for a load it needs to be in +P brass to get the same results. +P brass holds less volume. Don't mix +P cases with standard! I have used +P data in standard brass by working up to max. My Roberts is an old model Ruger, and it seems to like to be loaded close to max but if I push it to much the accuracy goes away. My best varmint load so far was using IMR4064 and Hornady 75's. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually IIRC the BBR is nothing like the A-bolt in it's design and is actually most similar to the "Lightweight" (6-lug)
weatherby MkV action.

It is an exceptionally strong action, though there are stronger actions it's a very short list....

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the good information. This is my first post here and I am pleasantly suprised at all the knowledge that is shared here. One more question. What is IIRC? Thanks for all the inout on my post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC

If
I
Recall
Correctly.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IIRC=if I remember correctly.
I'm having very good luck with 75 Sierra hp or V-max with H4895 or Ramshot Hunter powder. With the Sierra and Hunter, I clocked 3520fps and under 3/4" groups in a new Ruger M77 Standard rifle last weekend. The H4895 is a much quicker powder, but gives good groups in 2 different rifles.
oops, sorry Alan. Guess I'll need to learn to type faster.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
ole_270, is that in a +p case? I havent ever loaded with the Ramshot. Is that the brand? Gotcha on the IIRC Smiler