Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Grendel
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Who gives a crap? Inside of 150 yards no animal will know the difference. If you want to talk bullshit energy numbers, I can launch a 110 accubond at 2600.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just for shtiz n giggles, here's a pix of a buck my son shot earlier this month with the 6.8 spc he built, 17" Shilen barrel. Hornady factory loads, 110 gr. V-Max. Neck shot at +/- 125 yds. Dropped like a hot rock.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
Who gives a crap? Inside of 150 yards no animal will know the difference. If you want to talk bullshit energy numbers, I can launch a 110 accubond at 2600.

Apparenty you do. So a 30-30 will push a 110 bullet to 2684 fps. Reckon that beats your 6.8 huh? Remember there are bolt action 30-30's out there that can use pointed bullets and the fact that you can make your lever action a 2 show with pointed bullets. Sticking to AR's the 30 Rem Ar (which isn't on an AR 10 but an AR 15) will push that 110 over 3000 fps.

All boils down to the old thudy thudy isn't all that bad a cartridge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:
quote:

Apparenty you do. So a 30-30 will push a 110 bullet to 2684 fps. Reckon that beats your 6.8 huh? Remember there are bolt action 30-30's out there that can use pointed bullets and the fact that you can make your lever action a 2 show with pointed bullets. Sticking to AR's the 30 Rem Ar (which isn't on an AR 10 but an AR 15) will push that 110 over 3000 fps.

Never said it was. that is why I compared the 6.8 to it. You must have scoured load data to find those numbers from a 30/30. I bet it came from a 24" barrel vs 18" on the 6.8. I found it humorous that you felt the need to jump on Carpetman for his comment. I bet that 110 30 caliber load has a great ballistic coefficient.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
If I wasn't already committed to the 6.5 Grendel, I would be looking at the 6.8 SPC. I think inside 150 yds it would be impossible to tell the difference on deer.

But I have two bolt actions in 6.5 G, (one finished and one still in progress), and two AR-15s (both still in progress) I have all the parts to assemble one AR15, and all the parts for a second upper assembly except I'm waiting on backorder for a second barrel.

With dies and loaded factory ammo and several hunderd 100gr to 120gr 6.5mm bullets and maybe 1000 pieces of brass, I think I'm committed to the Grendel. Smiler

I used to not think highly of the 6.8 SPC, but I changed my mind about that.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:
quote:

Never said it was. that is why I compared the 6.8 to it. You must have scoured load data to find those numbers from a 30/30. I bet it came from a 24" barrel vs 18" on the 6.8. I found it humorous that you felt the need to jump on Carpetman for his comment. I bet that 110 30 caliber load has a great ballistic coefficient.

Nope I didn't, the 30-30 as been around for a long time.

I didn't "jump" on Ray. We happen to be very good friends. Just don't want internet folks getting the wrong impression that a 6.8 is more potent then a 30-30. There have been claims of the 76.2x39 being equal to the 30-30. It's not.

The figures are 20 inch carbine barrel lengths for the 30-30. Run of the mill stuff. The newest thing being the Fusion ammo and bullets. Don't forget you take a 30-30 to higher velocities in TC's and some other firearms.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get it Smokin. I have plenty of respect for the 30/30. I'm not a 6.8 spc nut that thinks it's more than what it is. The way I'm loading, I could only come up with the 30/30 as a reasonable comparison. Both are plenty for deer and hogs at medium range and under.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread KB. I like the Grendel too. I think I actually would prefer it because I like 6.5s better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get it Smokin. I have plenty of respect for the 30/30. I'm not a 6.8 spc nut that thinks it's more than what it is. The way I'm loading, I could only come up with the 30/30 as a reasonable comparison. Both are plenty for deer and hogs at medium range and under.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread KB. I like the Grendel too. I think I actually would prefer it because I like 6.5s better.

No problem Scott, I know where you are coming from. All the rounds we spoke of are good ones. I think with the old ones, like the 30-30, that many think it's old and outdated. For what it is it's a nice cartridge.

I have a 6x45 AR 15. I know many hunt deer with it, but I'm not comfortable with it for that purpose. I mainly target shoot with it using cast bullets. I've gone to an AR 10 in 7.62 NATO that I build with a stainless heavy match barrel and don't think I'll go back to the smaller AR 15 platform. I'll keep my Colt HBAR because it's my first AR and it's a pre ban, plus it shoots really good. Up in the air about the 6x45. Like I said I sold my 6.5 Grendel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True, bolt action 30-30's are made and in my opinion, a dumb and dangerous deal. True, you can load pointed bullets and make a 2 shot deal of a 30-30. Another bad idea in my opinion. Murphy's law-those pointed bullets can easily end up where they don't belong. Sorta like keeping a pet rattlesnake. Why not get a .308 to begin with?
I have compared .30 cal 150 grain bullets in flat nose and spire points and there is a vast difference.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

AA factory loads work pretty good. the rifle is a cz 527 originally in 7.62x39, rebarreled to 6.5G.

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is that a chocolate fallow?

one of us
posted Hide Post
no, that is a melanistic(spelling???) whitetail deer. apparently (from internet info) there are more black deer in a 6 county area here(around comal county) than in the rest of the world combined. at least that's what i read on the net after i killed that one. the powers that be where i hunt said they wanted him gone and i was the guy who got him. wish he would have had a ten point 165" rack.

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He is very neat looking. Decent rack would have made an extremely unique mount.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just saw an ad by a guy on one of the websites or forums who had sold his Grendel, and had PILES of ammo and components. He wanted $500, but it was an awful lot of ammo fodder. I could probably find it if anyone is interested.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote