THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .32 S&W Long in Rook Rifle

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.32 S&W Long in Rook Rifle
 Login/Join

<RAO>
posted
What might be the velocity and energy figures of .32S&WL in rook rifle and what kind of game may be taken.
I know it an extremely accurate cartridge but what is its limit in range and size of game.
Any help is appriciated..

one of us
posted Hide Post
You should be able to get a 80 to 90 gr cast bullet between a 1000 and 1200. A jacketed bullet around the same.The speer 60gr gold dot could be up in the 1300 1400 range. I am sure you could kill deer size critters with it with very well place shots. But most likely animals under 50lbs would be the best.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello RAO - which rifle and what is the calibre?

I have to make my own cases for my 300 Sherwood.

regards edi

Posts: 222 | Location: Cape Town South Africa | Registered: 02 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Edi, you can buy 300 Sherwood cases, I just got a batch in here in the states. They are made by Bertram in Australia.I know they are available at The Ammo Dump http://users.bigpond.com/ammodump/brass.html
For about Aus.$36.00 a box. Thats about $1US ea. case but it sure makes loading easier. Did you cast your own bullets? I have some coming in next week which I'll try loading, they average 145.5 grains ea. with a gas check. Have you developed any loads yet? The only load I've found is 7.5 gr. Blue Dot for around 1450 fps.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
<RAO>
posted
Here we have lot of old single shot rifles available here,in odd calibers with no ammo available and most of them are in Henery-martini action,which is strong enough to handle modern ammo.
Cartridges of The World,says that .32 S&WL can be chambred in most .300Rook(.295) rifles and fired safely and I hope without altering orignal open sights.
So I am looking forward to a slim,easy carring and easy shooting companion gun. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Browningguy, Thanks for that info - but why do you want to spoil my fun?

After working out and machining all the tooling for drawing 0.222/0.223 cases down to 300 Sherwood I found that the 0.222 rim was too thin and bent when the case was extracted by the Martini extractor. I was able to buy semi-finished 0.222 cases from the production line of our local ammunition manufacturer. This allowed me to machine a thicker rim before drawing the case down to the Sherwood dimensions.

Bullet heads are easily made by swaging 125 gn jacketed soft-point 0.308 heads down to 0.300. This last I do in my RCBS Rockchucker using Duckhams oil as a lubricant.

I'm on the point of buying a chronograph - then I'll be able to report on load developement.

A question from my side. Since my eyes have grown old I can no longer shoot accurately with iron sights - what is the best way to mount a scope on the Martini Cadet rifle?

cheers edi.

Posts: 222 | Location: Cape Town South Africa | Registered: 02 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Not sure on mounting a scope although a bunch of guys on the Martini forums have done it. I believe most drill and tap a side mount for them. Check the forums at
http://pub7.ezboard.com/fbritishmilitariaforumsfrm1
I'm sure the guys can tell you which mounts to use etc.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote