THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Seeking recommendation for wedding gift

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking recommendation for wedding gift
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, that got your attention. I want to buy a rimfire for my soon-to-be daughter-in-law who has expressed interest in shooting. She's young 20's, average height/build. I would prefer something new in 17 or 22. I have a CZ in 17HMR, and it's OK, but not real elegant. And, I really don't like the reverse safety. Also, the factory trigger is not great. (I put a Timney in mine.) The Rem 541 has a plastic detachable magazine and that fails quickly.

Your suggestions would be much appreciated.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
I have a CZ in 17HMR, and it's OK, but not real elegant.

something more expensive than the cz 452? Eeker
what price range was you thinking of?

a Kimber is to me a rimfire dream, but no way if i ever will pay more than 3-400$ for a rimfire

i thought CZ had quit making the reverse safety just as they have done on their centerfire rifles.

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
a Kimber is to me a rimfire dream, but no way if i ever will pay more than 3-400$ for a rimfire

The Kimber 22 I bought was ridicuously expensive for a .22, but it has been the best gun purchase I think I have ever made---or at least the second best. Nothing will make you a better shooter like a 22 that is cheap to feed and more accurate than you can ever be. Plus it won't get worn out.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
i thought CZ had quit making the reverse safety just as they have done on their centerfire rifles

My buddy got one last summer it was still reversed.

Well you want elegant go for a Cooper or Kimber(while they last) CZ even with the reverse saftey is hard to beat for a nice accurate rifle. I have never been sold on the Ruger bolt I have a tack driving Ruger auto but would not recommend for a new shooter.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weatherby XXII or Japanese Winchester 52 if you can find one

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Kimber, but get it in 22 lr so your son and daughter in law can afford to feed it. An Anchutz, the Weatherby stocked Anchutz, or a Cooper would be fine too.

posted Hide Post
without a doubt go for a cooper!!!!!

AKA skeeter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Single Shot or Semi Auto ?. 22 cal or .17 mach2 ?. Target shooting or waxing pesky little vermin ?. Detail man details , input is invaluable when selecting any fire arm . Especially for someone Else . Savage Winchester Ruger Marlin Remington , see if she really likes it ?. Then step up later and purchase something she helps you pick out !. Gift certificate for your local gun shop ?.

If they help they can't complain !!!.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Browning T-Bolt might be a good choice also.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not considering a semi-auto. Not good for a beginner, IMO. A bolt, most likely.

I will try to find a Cooper to examine. I know them by reputation only.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your going to spend $$$ , then don't overlook Kimber , Walther . Anchutz, or Winchester older 52. I understand Kimber NO longer produces 22 cal rifles so it might be an investment ?.

I don't but have Shooting buddy's that own Kimbers and they DO SHOOT VERY WELL !. With Wolf Match Extra or Tenx it's a one hole group every time .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote