THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Looking for a new 223/5.56 Bolt gun.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a new 223/5.56 Bolt gun.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm in the market for a new bolt action. Looking for accuracy mainly. I was thinking of the Savage 16 lightweight hunter. Who would you prefer?

Posts: 529 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
In that price range you can't go wrong with the Savage or Ruger American Predator.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would get a Rem 700.
There are several choices with wood, or plastic stocks, blued, or stainless.
I have had very good luck with many of them and there are lots of after market accessories.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
My 700 is a tack driver.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd try to find one of these! I know I was very happy to find this one.

But what do I know I just bought this one as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two Savage rifles: a Stevens 200 in .223 and an LRP in .243. The LRP is pure out-of-the-box but I replaced the trigger and stock on the Stevens.

Both are very, very accurate.

You might consider this from GunBroker. Looks like a pretty good deal.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the full size receivers seem way overkill for the 223. I'm pretty happy with my howa mini:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6711043/m/1491041322

The small sako bolt actions are nice, but hard to find. The cz527 is small, and some are pretty accurate out of the box.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Tikka T3 is very accurate but the action is not sized for the caliber...too large.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7kongoni:
My Tikka T3 is very accurate but the action is not sized for the caliber...too large.

Do you feel there is any degradation of accuracy, handling or velocity because of this?

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage Lightweight Hunter 223. It's a true ultralight rifle with a pencil barrel, so if tiny groups or long shooting sessions are your thing there are better choices. A heavier barrel Savage is the best way to spend your money if cloverleafs are what you want. That said I love the Lightweight Hunter rifle. For a lightweight it balances well. I have only had mine at the range one time for the initial sight in. I have done no real load development for it. This is my final sight in group.

Posts: 78 | Location: Perkinston, MS | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a big Tikka fan. In fact they are my "go to" rifles for everything except Cape Buff and bull elephant. It's just I feel the .223 would be a "neater" package if it were built on a small action rather than a standard size action.

quote:
Originally posted by B L O'Connor:
quote:

Do you feel there is any degradation of accuracy, handling or velocity because of this?

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Thanks.

quote:
I'm a big Tikka fan. In fact they are my "go to" rifles for everything except Cape Buff and bull elephant. It's just I feel the .223 would be a "neater" package if it were built on a small action rather than a standard size action.

quote:
Originally posted by B L O'Connor:
quote:

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I bought a little Howa Mini. As accurate as any custom I own.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
I bought a little Howa Mini. As accurate as any custom I own.
Alas, I can say the same about my Stevens 200. 5 shots in 0.45 in at 100 yards . . . so . . . how can I justify buying expensive rifles? (Okay . . . the Stevens does have a Rifle Basix trigger and a Boyds stock . . . but still . . .)

C'mon Paul! Help me! Wink

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Even with the backwards safety and mag hanging out the bottom I still like the CZ.

I like the older ones with the Schweine zurück stock.

Posts: 6487 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several savage 223 varmint models they all shoot like a house on fire.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I got a price check on the Savage at the local gun shop, 670 bucks. Still shopping around. I just want one by the time rock chucks come out.

Posts: 529 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
WinkI've had the CZ Varmint, the Savage Varmint, the Stevens 200, the Ruger 77 Varmint and a Ruger #1 .223s which were all MOA.
coffee The Ruger #1 was the most finicky with bullets and load, but not all bad.
Roll EyesThe Stevens 200 required a little experience squeezing a stiff trigger.
Wink The Savage Varmint was great when working. The accutrigger would jam up and required frequent cleaning. It was so repeatable that I sold it to a friend who said he'd willingly put up with the trigger.
Big Grin Once you stoned some burrs and sharp edges the CZ was just fine.
tu2 Right from the git-go the The 77 Ruger was a class act. After about 200 rounds it is being protected in my cousin's safe.
old Never cared much for the .223 till about 2004. Now my greatest hole puncher is my put together .22PPC Varminter.
claproger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I have several savage 223 varmint models they all shoot like a house on fire.

Your search is over!

http://www.cabelas.com/product...EGORY_SEQ_1044661680

Posts: 78 | Location: Perkinston, MS | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For $319 with an Accutrigger . . . WOW!

And if you find the stock sucks, pay $100 for a Boyds!

posted Hide Post
Does any company other than Ruger make a 223 with a Winchester style 3 position safety? I am not interested in a custom gun or one with a lot of safety retrofitting

Thanks for the information

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barryw:
Does any company other than Ruger make a 223 with a Winchester style 3 position safety? I am not interested in a custom gun or one with a lot of safety retrofitting

Thanks for the information

Yes. Winchester does.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the older Sako's but there is an 85 XS in an action well matched to the 223 Rem.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I own a Savage! Great shooting rifle right out of the box!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I own a Savage! Great shooting rifle right out of the box!
Congratulations! I wish you well!

And dude! I just this week swapped a rifle (I'd had it since childhood) for a Savage LRPV, in .223. I did so because it had lost its accuracy (> 1 MOA) and I had two Savages that are absolute tack drivers (a .223 Stevens 200 and a .243 Savage LRP).

I'll shoot my new LRPV (with a crappy scope on it) on Friday. Wish me luck!

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
About a year ago I ordered a Howa rifle in .223 with a scope, base and rings, Hogue stock shipped for 510$
I couldn't be happier, sub MOA with everything factory I try in it and around a half MOA with handloads.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote