THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    22-250 with 60 grain Nosler Partitions???

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 with 60 grain Nosler Partitions???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was wondering if anyone has tried this combination. And also with a 22-250 with 1:14 twist can it stabilize(sp) the 60 grain Nosler Partition.

Thanks

Steve
www.skymountainoutfitters.com

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that has an XP-100 in 22-250. Not a long gun, but still quite accurate and effective on whitetails.

I honestly do not know what twist he is using.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I tried to work a load up with my browning micro in 22-250 that has a 1:14 twist with the 60gr partition, after 3 boxes of bullets I gave up since the best I could do was 1" groups at 100 yards. I did turn to the Barnes 45gr TSX and ran them fast as I could and started shooting in the .3's at 100. I dont remember off the top of my head what all I tred with the partitions but 38.5 of varget is what I shoot with the TSX, if the Partitions dont work out, try the TSX, they are just as tough and you will get penetration with them.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
My daughter shoots an Encore in .22-250 and has had some good results from the Federal Premium 60-grain Partition load. The Thompson-Center website shows the twist as 1:12 though.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 1-14 twist 22-250 will only shoot the 60 grain bullets well at starting loads, minimum velocity. Groups get LARGE above entry level loads.
But, 32.6 grains of Benchmark with 55 grain HPBT's shoot three shots into a 1/4" group at 100 yards. So, I gave up on the 60's and settled on 55's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a 1 in 14 you will not get the half-moa groups to which you are accustomed with the 22-250 and 60gr Partitions. the 1in12 Encore and Savage rifles do a fantastic job.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With my 22-250 I shoot the Speer 70gr bullet besides the 55gr bullet and both are accurate

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote