THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Sako Vixen, .222 Rem, Heavy Barrel??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako Vixen, .222 Rem, Heavy Barrel??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Dear Sako-Lovers

I'm sorely tempted by a Sako Vixen, .222 Rem, 24" heavy barrel in a custom stock, that I have seen on the net. I won't talk about price, as it is probably more than most of you would have to pay for a comparable rifle, just suffice to say that I'm still tempted in spite of the price. From reading past posts on this and other AR forums, although I only have a couple of pictures to go on, I believe the action is probably an L461. The gun has a fixed mag, plunger in front of trigger guard, side safety, no closed bolt shroud like my AIII does, I believe that probably makes it an L461, yes?

The gun is advertized as 98%, and I like the looks of the custom stock. If your past comments are anything to go by, accuracy of these guns is often highly satisfactory.

If my assumption about action type is correct, what can I expect from the trigger (most likely factory - like remainder of metal work)?? How low can it safely be brought down?? 1.5 lbs perhaps?? (I'm dreaming )

What twist rate should I expect in a heavy factory barrel??

This one is impossible to answer: should I expect to have to get a glass bedding job done (no mention of one in add)??

What are the obvious questions you would ask if you were to attempt to buy a second hand (if in good shape) rifle via the net and phone??

Thanks for your time in advance.

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a couple of the early Sako rifles in HB and in a 222....the trigger should go to a couple of lbs and it might go lower according to the individual trigger mating surfaces....they will jar off and follow down with a hard bolt working if the fit isn't right after adjustment.....I'd check real carefully with a empty gun before I'd trust it that low.....the factory bedding can be very nice in those early models and time and many disassemblies might have compressed the wood...they are easy to pillar bed and I would do that and glass it....as for twist my old books and memorey show 1-14 for the 222.......I have had great sucess with IMR 4198 and 52-55grain bullets...with the BR Bergers giving great groups and the Hornady almost as good .....it is hard to burn out or shoot out a 222...I have a round top Browning Sako that was in 222 that had the barrel set back and rechambered to 222mag and it still shoots GREAT and is a mid weight barrel......I haven't ever bought a rifle that I couldn't handle and check myself but I can't think of any cronic problems of the Sakos.......does it include Rings for a scope....? there are non Sako alternatives now but they are still more expensive than standard types...enjoy the great little cartridge and that guns action that is just the right size for it.....good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that BigDaddy
I hear you on the trigger. I'll have to find a good smith for that part. You may well be right about the 1-14 twist rate, that is what Sako lists on their website for their current .222 Rems.

There are rings and bases included with the rifle, from the looks of it Weaver. Not exactly the prettiest option, so I might consider another mount. Having researched the subject via past posts here, I see that the Sako Optilocks should work, although they seem to be a tad high, and a tad expensive also. I was wondering whether anybody had tried out the Talley bases for the Sako??? Are they any good?? I have seen quite a few references here to the difficulty of getting the mounts set up correctly on the Sako integral bases. My other Sakos have Sako and Leupold rings. Also fairly serviceable. Final option: put Burris Signature Zee-Rings on the Weaver bases (easiest and cheapest )

We shall see whether the purchase comes through. I have not heard back from the seller yet... Poor guy, I asked him a zillion questions, that is what you get for selling guns via the Web...
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sako Varminter in .222Rem. It's stock as it came from the factory. Even though it's a heavy barrel
model it's lighter than most of our varmint rifles. Trigger seems to be about 2.5 lbs. It has a 1 in 14" twist,
and the barrel diameter is .740". The rifle is from the early 90's. It shoots in the .4's (5 at 100). I've always
thought it would do better, but even that is nothing to sneeze at. I believe the action is the L461. I also
have the same action, blocked off as a single shot with a Hart SS barrel in .222Rem. Mag. with a Mc.Millan
fibergrain (looks like walnut) stock. That one prints in the .3's (5 at 100). and is lighter yet due to the
McMillan stock and lack of a magazine. Sans scope it comes in slightly under 9 lbs. It is as accurate as
the earlier Remington 700 varmint rifles, no better or worse, just an enjoyable rifle to own and shoot.
Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The HB Sako will have a lot of potential in the accuracy department, but in a restocked gun, much of the accuracy will depend on the quality of the restocking job.

The Sako trigger is among the best non-benchrest triggers available. I wouldn't even think of replacing one. You may or may not be able to safely get it to 24 ounces, but you can get it as light as needed for varminting.

The rate of twist will be about 1-14 inches or a near metric equivalent. Some older Sako .222's used a barrel with ten or twelve shallow groves and were VERY accurate. Having a plunger floorplate release, this one is likely a bit newer and likely uses a 6 groove barrel.

I've only been disappointed with one Sako HB, a .22-250, but apparently I just didn't know how to "hold my mouth just right", because I sold it to a friend who did a little fiddling with it and made it a stellar shooter.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote