Find
Notify
Tools

Cooper 17 HMR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi!

Have totally fallen in love with the Coopers line of rifles. Have wanted a 17 HMR a long time..
No one here in Norway imports those rifles, but a kind guy at Prophet River in Canada well ship one to me.

What kind of accuracy can you expect from a Cooper Classic or Varmint in 17 HMR?
It looks like there's a big difference in wood quality from their online catalouge from what i see in stock at Prophet's..? Maybe the pictures are lying?

m

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a big difference in the options on Cooper wood. I would request full disclosure pictures of both sides. On occasion in the standard classic or varminter a nicer piece of wood slips through but if you want a guarantee of "fancy" wood it's a pay for option. That said most of them, even the standard runs have pretty decent wood to begin with.
As to accuracy I would expect it to be very good. Not only is Coopers claim to fame their accuracy but the HMR is a inherently accurate round in and of itself.
I don't have a Cooper HMR but I do have a CZ varminter and two models of Anschutz and all three are stellar shooters!
Good luck.
P.S.
If you get one don't lose the magazine as I hear they are "very" expensive to replace.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking for Cooper's online catalogue they are going to use the nicest pieces that they have? I have 2 Coopers,one 17machII SVT and the other is a 22. Both of mine are what they call standard grade, but both are still very nice, and much nicer than you are going to see from most any other rifle manufacturers. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a left hand Cooper 17 and actually sold it on here a few months back. The wood was nice, not anything super, but quite nice. The accuracy was astounding. Everything easily in a dime size out to 100 yards all day.

I moved up to the larger calibers in Coopers because I don't really do much varminting or plinking. Got a 54 in 243 this year and also have ordered a 52 in 25-06AI

If you are ordering one, it is well worth the price to get the French Walnut upgrade. I have seen some fantastic wood on guns with this upgrade. I did it on both mine.

Why can't a USA dealer ship to you?

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased a Cooper 57M LVT 17 HMR when they first came out. I liked it and then got a 17 HM2 in the same model. They look good and are accutate shooters. I use the 17 rimfire for prairie dog shooting. The little 17 Gr bullet out of the 17 HM2 has 97 ft/lb of energy at 100 Yds while the 17 Gr bullet out of the 17 HMR has 102 ft/lb of energy at 175 Yds.--per point blank program. A few years ago I shot a bit over 2,000 prairie dogs with the two rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok!

Good to hear the Cooper's are straight shooters Smiler

Here in Norway I can get good prices on the Anschutz line of rifles. I hear they also are great shooters in 17 HMR.

The Cooper's looks a lot more attractive, but nobody imports them... Frowner

m

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is an Anschutz MPR (Multi-Purpose-Rifle) that came from the factory with a 26 inch pipe, Confused way long! It's been cut back to 18 inches and is my go to gopher gun for driving around in pastures and shooting out the window of the truck. Crazy accurate! Here I'd guess the price on this to be about a push with the Cooper. Both Anschutz and Cooper are shooters!

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this a Cooper 17 HMR for deer thread?> bewildered

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elk seafire, .17HMR vs elk. At long range! I like a challenge Cool.
Just killing time till the snow melts and the gophers pop up. Happens to me every winter about this time, big game is over, elks in the freezer and other than coyotes and ice fishing it gets pretty slow till spring. Hole up on the computer and talk varmint guns till it looks like it did when I took the picture of that Anschutz.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He-he..!

That 223 vs deer is a funny thing. We had the same discussion here in Norway in the 90's with the 222 Rem vs our Roedeer(30-50 pounds).
Norma launched a special deer-load vith a 62 grain bullet, and many people said this cartr was almost "made for" roedeer hunting.. Frowner

Now, many years and thousands of shots later there are hardly any persons left to choose the 222/223 for roedeer. Too many bad situations with poor penetration, tiny wound channel/blood trail etc.

The 243, 6,5 and 308 is far more suited for our woodland hunting Smiler

My 17 HMR is meant for the damn magpie's around my house waking me up 2 hours early the hole fuc.. summer!

M

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you have a Cooper rifle shipped from a stocking USA dealer? I don't know why there would be an issue with that, if you can get one from Canada.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a couple of guys that got them in Australia and New Zealand.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a good forum to learn more about Cooper rimfires:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/...orumdisplay.php?f=57

I own one of these rifles (left hand LVT) in 17 HMR and it is a tack driver. But my experience is different than Mr Clines. Would not recommend you order a rifle with upgraged wood as it is hit or miss.
Ordered a AAA+ upgrade on a Custom Classic and it looked like shit. Cooper agreed to restock it and then I was fairly happy. But the lesson learned was wood graded AAAA today would of only passed for AA ten years ago. The best way to be assured of a nice stock is to buy something out of dealer stock or get Cooper to agree to send you some photos of blanks to pick from. They will do this on their higher end rifles.
Very happy with the rifles though. Currently own a .22 Custom Classic and a .22 mag Jackson Squirrel rifle. Once my wife shot one of mine she ended up with a .22 Jackson Squirrel rifle as well. Solid, well built, and accurate. Worth every penny.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6602 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote