New
Find
Notify
Tools

leupold question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This might sound stupid, but how much difference is there between the older vari-x and the newer vx scopes. I know there is quite abit in price.

Posts: 135 | Location: sw kansas | Registered: 25 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am far from an expert but the main differences are the adjustments and lens coatings. The VX1 for all practical purposes is the old Vari-X II with lesser lens coatings. I have one in 4-12x and it is great and I am going to buy a few more 2-7x.

The VX II has the lens system equal to or better than the old Vari-X II but now has audible click adjustment in 1/4 min.

I don't have knowledge or experience with the higher dollar Leups.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both the VX-I and VX-II are the same essential design as the older Vari-X IIc that they replaced. All of the above are somewhat different than the original Vari-X, which had a different method of tube assembly and had its reticle lens in a different place. The IIc, VX-I, and VX-II are all excellent scopes with a reputation for being fog proof, recoil resistant, relatively compact, and having a wide range of acceptable eye placement, both fore-aft and laterally.

The biggest differences in the VX-I and VX-II are as follows: 1. Friction vs. click stop adjustments, 2. Additional power ranges available in the VX-II that are not available in the VX-I. 3. A lot of advertising hype about the lens coatings. There is no detectable difference in the lens coatings insofar as light transmission between the I and the II.

The Vari-X III and successor VX-III (itself soon to be replaced) have a slightly different internal physical design. As far as lenses, lenses in all scopes of all makes are VERY good these days as optical glass has become ever easier and cheaper to produce with new manufacturing methods. Leupold infers that there is something special about the lenses in their III series. To my eye, the only difference is that the coating used in this series heightens the contrast, making the image appear to many users what they erroneously describe as "brighter". It is actually just colored a little differently from natural light. Leupold is not the only manufacturer to use this trick (Steiner even advertised it in their binoculars). Your eye may or may not find the III's slightly color-shifted image pleasing, but that's mostly what you're paying for with the III.

The wierd VX-L and others of the high-priced series are designed to drain your bank account, not help you sight your rifle better.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I have looked through them and cannont tell a difference.

Posts: 135 | Location: sw kansas | Registered: 25 April 2008Reply With Quote