Find
Notify
Tools

22 HORNET
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of flutedchamber
posted
Ok, here is my problem. I have wanted to buy a 22 Hornet for a number of years, and I am planning to buy one in the next few weeks.

I want to buy a Savage bolt action in 22 Hornet. As I have had excellent experience with Savage rifles in other calibers. Does anyone have any experience with Savage bolt actions in this caliber?? Any other manufacturers in the same price range?? thanks.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

You can trust the government. Look how well they took care of the American Indian...

Posts: 425 | Location: New Jersey The state sucks, but it's better than living in France. | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure about price range, but I have a CZ 527 22 Hornet. Shot under 1/2 inch right out of the box using factory ammo. Shoots around 1/4 inch using my reloads. Most accurate rifle I have ever owned.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A repete

My CZ didn't shoot 1/2in. out of the box but it is a solid 3/4in. shooter out of the box).
Only thing I've done is adjust the trigger. It shoots every bullet I've tried except the 35gr. Vmax under an inch.
Do yourself a favor, if you buy a hornet buy some Lil'Gun powder at the same time.

Posts: 107 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pedro
Mine shoots the 35 grain V-Max best of all (13 grains of Lil'Gun). BTW try a small pistol primer if you haven't already.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
I have an older Savage 22 Hornet, a Model 23. It is like all the other, except CZ'S, Hornets. Finicky and tempermental. That said, once I found a load my Savage shoots it very well, with only the occasional flyer, which is typical of the Hornet.

The guys that are talking CZ'S are in the know, I bought a Model 527 in 223, and it is a tack driver right out of the box.

Jerry

Lil Gun is the Powder!

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of flutedchamber
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I will look into the CZ.

flutedchamber

NRA LIFE MEMBER

You can trust the government. Look how well they took care of the American Indian...

Posts: 425 | Location: New Jersey The state sucks, but it's better than living in France. | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once owned a Savage Model 340 in .22 Hornet. It was a very good shooting rifle. I reloaded for it and found the 40 grainers shot the best, partly due to it's 1-in-16" twist. I used 2400 or IMR-4227 in this Savage.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote