THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Ruger African 6.5x55 Target pics added 4/16/18
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger African 6.5x55 Target pics added 4/16/18
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Lipsey's has another run of Ruger African's this time in 6.5x55.

Same specs as the 275 Rigby last year.

http://lipseys.com/itemdetail....emno=RUHM77RSB6.5X55

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CJ, you're a fountain of information!

You were the one who told us on AR about the previous Ruger 275 Rigby African. Thanks to you giving us that info, I bought two of them.

And now, we have another. Thanks for the info!!

Posts: 2627 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone here bought one of these yet?

If so, what did you pay?

It's suggested retail on the website is a little over $1,200.

Hopefully, street prices will be lower!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are welcome.

AR is a fine place to share information.

I hope Lipsey's will do a run in 35 Whelen soon.

Would also love one in 318 Westley Richards. With the lack of availability of ammo, I think it would be a tall order.

At the price point that these rifles sell for, a person would have to spend a lot more for the same features.

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:

If so, what did you pay?

I am currently in Maine and had a local shop order one earlier today and paid $1000. I paid $985 for the 275 Rigby last year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjfoster:
You are welcome.

AR is a fine place to share information.

I hope Lipsey's will do a run in 35 Whelen soon.

Would also love one in 318 Westley Richards. With the lack of availability of ammo, I think it would be a tall order.

At the price point that these rifles sell for, a person would have to spend a lot more for the same features.

CJ, I agree wholeheartedly with the above!

35 Whelen,...drool.

I can understand your romance with the 318 WR, and it would be sweet. If that's not feasible due to ammo, how about a 338-06, as Nosler makes (6) different loadings for that caliber.

And while we're making wish lists and dreaming, how about a 350 Rigby? We can dream, can't we....?

Actually, the 35 Whelen is probably the most practical due to ammo considerations. Fingers crossed. beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would jump all over a 338-06 and a 350 Rigby!!

I wonder what it would take to get Hornady to make a run of brass for the 318 WR and 350 Rigby? A dream I'm sure!

They also have the following:

http://lipseys.com/itemdetail....itemno=RUK1RSI257ROB

http://lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RUK1A3030

http://lipseys.com/itemdetail....emno=RUKM77RSI260REM

I wouldn't mind having the 260 REM but, would like it to have a 20" barrel. 18.5" seems to short for me and would be concerned with the muzzle blast.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would jump all over a 338-06 and a 350 Rigby!!

I wonder what it would take to get Hornady to make a run of brass for the 318 WR and 350 Rigby? A dream I'm sure!

They also have the following:

http://lipseys.com/itemdetail....itemno=RUK1RSI257ROB

http://lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RUK1A3030

http://lipseys.com/itemdetail....emno=RUKM77RSI260REM

I wouldn't mind having the 260 REM but, would like it to have a 20" barrel. 18.5" seems to short for me and would be concerned with the muzzle blast.

Thanks for the extra info!

I suppose to get Hornady to make brass for either a 318 or 350, Ruger would first have to make such a rifle(s). Hey, there's an idea Ruger!

I have a couple of 416 Rigbys and now a couple of 275 Rigbys. It would be sweet to make a (3) rifle battery of small, medium and large bore Rigbys if Ruger would come out with a 350 Rigby and Hornady the ammo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see a picture of the rifle. With that said I bought a CZ550 FS in 6.5x55 for $700ish several years ago. Beautiful rifle and shoots as good as it looks. I do believe that CZ has discontinued the 550 line though. They do have a few (non 6.5x55) on Buds guns though.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If so, what did you pay?

I am currently in Maine and had a local shop order one earlier today and paid $1000. I paid $985 for the 275 Rigby last year.

I just got a quote of $1,050 for one rifle, and $1,000 if I bought two. I paid $950 for the 275 Rigbys, but I bought two to get that price.

My dealer said the pricing on these rifles has gone up a little since the 275 Rigbys. He also said they are only making a run of 250 of these 6.5x55s.

Sounds like the street pricing is being fairly consistent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Palladin8,

I did see a video that Lipsey's put on their Facebook page a week or so ago and it looks just like the 275 Rigby.

Here is a video of the 275 Rigby.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gh_vPET6e0

I have not paid much attention to CZ's. I will take a look at them soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surefire,

Glad to hear that pricing is consistent. I think the 275 Rigby had a MSRP of about $1200. Thankfully they didn't raise the price drastically since the Rigby sold out so quickly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surefire,

Glad to hear that pricing is consistent. I think the 275 Rigby had a MSRP of about $1200. Thankfully they didn't raise the price drastically since the Rigby sold out so quickly.

CJ,

I watched the 275 Rigby video and looked up the old ad on Lipseys. They had it listed at $1,417 retail. The 6.5x55 is listed on their website at $1,279, so, not sure what my dealer was talking about the prices going up a little?!

While I was on the Lipseys website, I hit the "Contact Us" button and suggested they release one of these Africans in 338-06 and perhaps 35 Whelen. Maybe if they get a lot of requests for these calibers, they will consider making them. beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I emailed them last year about the 35 Whelen and was told that it is on the list!! dancing

I will also email them about doing some in 338-06.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can understand the really cool cartridges that folks are suggesting, but I often wonder why Ruger doesn't chamber an African in a 30 06. It went with TR, Hemmingway and Ruark. It's pretty useful and has a pretty good pedigree and history.
Just saying.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black Fly:
I can understand the really cool cartridges that folks are suggesting, but I often wonder why Ruger doesn't chamber an African in a 30 06. It went with TR, Hemmingway and Ruark. It's pretty useful and has a pretty good pedigree and history.
Just saying.
Bfly

Good point Black Fly! And I agree with all you said.

Speaking only for myself, I was interested in the 338-06 and 35 Whelen because Ruger never made them in their Express Rifles back in the 90s. The Express rifle was very similar to these Africans with similar features. They made them in 25-06 (very few), 270, 7mm Rem. mag, 30-06, 300 WM, and 338 WM. In the African series, they made them in 375 Ruger, 9.3x62, 300 WM and 338 WM. But they have never made either the Express or the African in 338-06 or 35 Whelen. That is why I am personally hoping for those two calibers.

These rifles are built on the standard Ruger frames, not the magnum frames of the Ruger RSMs which were made in 375 H&H, 416 Rigby and 458 Lott.

As CJ and I have written, it would make our day if Lipseys/Ruger/Hornady could come out with the 318 WR for CJ and 350 Rigby for me as well. Probably too much to even dream about...

It's interesting that in the Lipseys video and writing that they say that this new African in 275 Rigby and now the 6.5x55, are the first time to bring back the blued bolt handle since the old thumb slide safety model 77s. Not true. The Express rifle had a blued bolt as well, as do the RSMs.

I'm anxious to get my new African 'Swede', and just as excited to see what new caliber Lipseys brings out next. Hope they listen to our suggestions. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I emailed Lipsey's yesterday evening about the 338-06 and 350 Rigby and got the following reply:

"No plans for either of those. As much as I would like to do some of the really obscure rounds, they are not feasible from an ammunition supply standpoint. I do have 35 Whelen on the to do list though."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody with one of the 7x57 rifles care to share the bare weight? Curious where this Swede would come in... I assume 7.5 pounds-ish.

Posts: 181 | Registered: 19 September 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I emailed Lipsey's yesterday evening about the 338-06 and 350 Rigby and got the following reply:

"No plans for either of those. As much as I would like to do some of the really obscure rounds, they are not feasible from an ammunition supply standpoint. I do have 35 Whelen on the to do list though."

Well, that's what I was afraid of. The 318WR and 350 Rigby were hopeful long shots, but I thought the 338-06 might have had a chance, with Nosler and one other company producing the ammo.

But, sounds like the 35 Whelen has a legitimate shot. I anxiously await their next release. Long live the 35 Whelen!!!

Now, I am going to email Lipseys once again and plead for a 1-12" twist when they make the Whelen. CJ, and anyone else interested in this Ruger African in 35 Whelen, please email Lipseys and show your support for their next release in 35 Whelen. Also tell them we need a 1-12" twist like they put on the Ruger All Weather SS models. They have the reamers... tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haverluk:
Anybody with one of the 7x57 rifles care to share the bare weight? Curious where this Swede would come in... I assume 7.5 pounds-ish.

They seem to be weighing in the 7.5-8 lb. range.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, super news!

Just got an email from Lipseys, and they said the 35 Whelen African will definitely be 1-12" twist when it comes out. dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also asked about the release date for the African 35 Whelen.

They said the earliest would be 4th quarter this year. That probably means 2019?...

Patience Surefire, patience. Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surefire,

That is good news that it will be a 12 twist!

I will be looking forward to it's release!!

Have you received your 6.5 yet?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surefire,

That is good news that it will be a 12 twist!

I will be looking forward to it's release!!

Have you received your 6.5 yet?

No, the guy at Lipseys also said that they haven't even received them (6.5x55s) from Ruger yet.

That's why I'm thinking perhaps 2019 for the 35 Whelen.???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They also made a few in .223 that made a great trainer. I hate that they ruined the look with the muzzle break. I have several of these rifles and love the looks

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Haught:
They also made a few in .223 that made a great trainer. I hate that they ruined the look with the muzzle break. I have several of these rifles and love the looks

+1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Palladin8,

I did see a video that Lipsey's put on their Facebook page a week or so ago and it looks just like the 275 Rigby.

Here is a video of the 275 Rigby.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gh_vPET6e0

I have not paid much attention to CZ's. I will take a look at them soon.

Thanks for video of the gun. It's a beautiful gun.

I was thinking it was the full stock version of the Ruger that i've seen in the past.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like a Ruger no. 1 fwt. in 25-35 Win...but I doubt that will ever happen!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I would like a Ruger no. 1 fwt. in 25-35 Win...but I doubt that will ever happen!

Who knows Ray? Didn't Winchester or Hornady just come out with newly manufactured 25-35 ammo?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.30-06 and .35 Whelen are both confirmed by Lipsey's as "on the list" of future chamberings for the gun.

I'm tempted by the little 6.5 but feel I'd get more use out of a .30-06.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandyhunter:
.30-06 and .35 Whelen are both confirmed by Lipsey's as "on the list" of future chamberings for the gun.

I'm tempted by the little 6.5 but feel I'd get more use out of a .30-06.

Oh wow. A 30-06 would be lovely in the African as well. I already bought the 275 Rigby.

So we now have three more sitting in the queue: 6.5x55, 30-06, 35 Whelen. What to do?

I will probably solve this dilemma in my usual fashion. Get two of each. Problem solved... Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Dieseltrucker
posted Hide Post
I would love to see lipseys would do a left hand version starting with the 9.3x62. Ill email them and see if I can get anything out of them.

Posts: 240 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
For those of you that have these in other calibers what kind of accuracy have you had with them?
Anyone have any idea when the 30-06 version will be released?
Also is the 6.5x55 on a short action or long?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:
For those of you that have these in other calibers what kind of accuracy have you had with them?

I haven't really had a chance to 'wring out' my Ruger African 275 Rigby. I spent a few days just getting the scope dialed in, etc. The last two times I had mine out, one day I shot a 1 5/8" five shot group ( 4 were going 1 1/8" before I pulled the last shot a bit), and the last day I shot a 1" three shot group. When I did these two days, they were the only shots fired from the rifle that day. This was all using factory Hornady 140 gr. 275 Rigby ammo. This really doesn't prove much, except for me, I was simply satisfied that the rifle would 'hunt' for me...

Don't know anything about the 30-06 release.

Don't know the action length of the Swede either.

Basically, I'm not much help I guess. Frowner

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I haven't really had a chance to 'wring out' my Ruger African 275 Rigby. I spent a few days just getting the scope dialed in, etc. The last two times I had mine out, one day I shot a 1 5/8" five shot group ( 4 were going 1 1/8" before I pulled the last shot a bit), and the last day I shot a 1" three shot group. When I did these two days, they were the only shots fired from the rifle that day. This was all using factory Hornady 140 gr. 275 Rigby ammo. This really doesn't prove much, except for me, I was simply satisfied that the rifle would 'hunt' for me...

Don't know anything about the 30-06 release.

Don't know the action length of the Swede either.

Basically, I'm not much help I guess. Frowner

The 6.5x55 just doesn’t speak to me like it use too but I like the looks of these rifles about as well as any factory rifle out there.
I think a trio of these in .223, 30-06 and 375h&h would be neat. I know since Ruger come out with their 375 Ruger they want too be buttheads and not make the H&H at all anymore.
I like their regular African a lot if they offered it in more calibers and it didn’t have that STUPID muzzle brake on it. Or for Pete’s sake at least offer a choice without the brake.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
/QUOTE]
I like their regular African a lot if they offered it in more calibers and it didn’t have that STUPID muzzle brake on it. Or for Pete’s sake at least offer a choice without the brake.[/QUOTE]

+1

I wholeheartedly agree on both accounts. I'd like to see this model in more calibers, and I'd like to see them eliminate that UGLY muzzle brake, or as you said, offer the choice of with /without it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

MJines posted some groups that he got with his 275 Rigby on that thread, he also killed a hog and a great Texas deer with it.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/5461062432/p/3

I haven't even shot my 275 Rigby yet, I hope to once I get home in April.

I don't know when the 30-06 will be released. Last I heard from Lipsey's they haven't received the 6.5's from Ruger yet.

I would hope that Ruger did these on a long action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a 35 Whelen for sale, a Libskys special on Guns International only yesterday 2-22-18, so I guess there out now..

I wonder if the 6.5x55 isn't a bit heavy or did Ruger scale it down, my 338s and 9,3x62 are and were heavy at about 9 lbs. plus..Thats too heavy for light calibers??

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I saw a 35 Whelen for sale, a Libskys special on Guns International only yesterday 2-22-18, so I guess there out now

Hi Ray. Say, was that 35 Whelen you saw on Lipseys a No.1 or an African?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just did a search and all I saw where No.1's.