THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    40 gr. Ballistic Tip in the Hornet?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

40 gr. Ballistic Tip in the Hornet?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted
Has anyone tried the 40 gr. Ballistic Tip in the Hornet? If so, how did it work?

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot them in my Anschutz 1730. They shot great but I prefer the Sierra 40gr BlitzKing. The Nosler BTs produced a few flyers in my rifle. But nothing bad. I did like the 250 round value pack availible for the Noslers.

Joe A.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
If you are shooting a single shot or have a magazine capable of handling this bullet, it will do quite well.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they sure work good in my k hornets

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I've been using the standard Sierra Hornet bullets, which actually shoot really well in my rifle. But looking at the difference in BC between the two, going with the BT should extend the range of the cartridge by another 50 yards or so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you going to use the bullet for?

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had good accuracy from them, but they are too long for most Hornet magazines, therefore they are limited to single-shot usage.

The 35 grain V-Max is a fine little bullet for the Hornet. It is short enough for the magazine and has explosive terminal performance. You can boost its velocity enough to make up for the difference in its B.C. and that of the 40 Nosler B.T. so that your effective range is similar. I'm surprised that Nosler hasn't come out with its own dedicated plastic-tipped Hornet bullet.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek-

Nosler's old-style Hornet bullet was terrific. I, too , wonder why they haven't introduced something in a tipped version.

The coyotes around here hated that old-style Nosler. It sent a number of their relatives to 'yote heaven... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I had excellent accuracy results and good velocity with LiL Gun powder and the Nosler 40 gr BT's loaded to a greater than normal length, but still just shy of the rifling in my BRNO.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I've had FANTASTIC accuracy out of my Contender 14" Hornet bbl with the 40 gr Vmax and 12.5 gr of LilGun powder. I also use a Rem 6 1/2 primer. I seat them long, almost to the rifling, since mine is a single shot.

I get consistent ragged one hole groups from the bench with this load. Makes my shooting buddy just sit there shaking his head in disbelief.

I say try them!

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting a Browning A-Bolt. Us lefty's don't have as many options as everyone else. I measured the magazine tonight, and I'm guessing that I can probably load to an OAL of up to about 1.872" before I run out of room.

I use my Hornet for everything from gophers and prairie dogs up to Coyotes. It almost seems magical to me how much velocity you can get with just 13 grains of Lil'Gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I concur that LilGun under any of the 40 grain Polymer tipped bullets in either the Hornet or K-Hornet are great if your cool with single shots which I am.
While I have a box of Ballistic-Tips I've never used them cause they can't possibly shoot any better than V-Max's or BlitzKings which I stocked up about a gazzillion of each on cause they are so much cheaper than the Noslers (or at least were when I stocked up on them).
I know they couldn't shoot any better cause I'm incapable of shooting better. LilGun and the new 40 grain ploymer tipped bullets are my choice in all of em in WW cases with WSR primers. They do make the Hornet and K's a whole new deal Big Grin. They all shoot better than I can.
Personally the V-Max is my favorite due to price and the fact that out of 4 different Hornets and 2 K-Hornets I've yet to have one that didn't shoot them in outstanding fashion.
Oddly of two Anschutz Hornets ( one handgun one rifle) as well as 2 CZ rifles and a Cooper K-Hornet I've yet to find one that didn't shoot V-Max's and BlitzKing's to the same point of impact with all else in the load being the same. I'd guess the B-Tips would probably do the same but with the 40 grain V-Max's in 250 round boxes costing so much less why not.
I should confess to being seriously Hornady biased if ya couldn't tell.
Whatever ya use I'll bet ya like it!

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nosler's old-style Hornet bullet was terrific. I, too , wonder why they haven't introduced something in a tipped version.

Bobby,

I never had any luck with the Nosler Hornet bullet for some reason. On the other hand, the now-discontiued Sierra 45 grain Semi-Spitzer (not Hornet) would shoot like a house afire in my guns. Of course, like anything I come to admire, they dropped them from their line about a year after I discovered them and before I could lay in a stock.

While everyone raves about Lil Gun in the Hornet, I've found its velocities to be, while generally fast, extremely inconsistent. Considering that I don't shoot a Hornet for speed, I prefer AA1680 or W296 for "full power" loads, but shoot a lot of Blue Dot downloaded to around 2600 fps with the little 35 grain Hornady VMax. Even at that speed, it blows small varmints in several different vectors.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 40gr Vmax and Btip on coyotes with my Hornet and did not like the results. I had to many runners with the lighter bullets.

Lilgun and a small pistol primer under a 45gr Barnes XLC @ 2900fps works pretty well, if I keep the range reasonable. My personal limits are 100 yds for a head-on shot and 175 for a broadside shot (on coyotes).

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
I went heavier to gain killing power and range. With 55gr Hornady SP's (seconds - much cheaper) I have sighted my rifle in at 160yds. To get consistant velocity I need a stiff charge of Lil'Gun in my rifle. This bullet does not blow up small varmints but they don't walk away either. Since I no longer hunt larger varmints with this rifle I would like to try a lighter and faster bullet for more explosive effect and a longer flat shooting range. Often my quarry are closer to 200yds and the hornet just doesn't quite reach - well, it does but compensating for bullet drop is a bit difficult for me.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I, too, have had great luck with the old Nosler Solid Base BT for the Hornet. I would think they'd come out with something with a ballistic tip for the Hornet. I do know COL is going to be tight for some magazines.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
45 grain Semi-Spitzer (not Hornet) would shoot like a house afire in my guns. Of course, like anything I come to admire, they dropped them from their line about a year after I discovered them and before I could lay in a stock.

I concur!

I shot that bullet for about 3 varmint seasons... it was my original blue dot load 'go to' load.. and my number one varmint bullet in the 223... I was getting about 3650 fps with Benchmark and RL 7 loads...

me adopting something always seems to be the kiss of death for it staying on the market...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote