New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 Vmax in 1-9 .223 Sav...?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Wondered if any of you have shot these bullets? My gun is a Savage 1-9 twist, will these vaporize? AA reload manual list max load of AA2230 29.5grn @3945fps for these pills. Anyone got any experience to share? Thanks, H.H.

Posts: 161 | Location: hoosierville | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bigbore50ak
posted Hide Post
i loaded a few up with varget i used pmc and rem brass the pmc wont hold as much powder as the rem so with the pmc you could fill the case up till it was over flowing then shove a bullet in. cant remember for sure what i was using i think it was varget i got 4100 fps with the pmc brass and 3800 with the rem brass. never checked for accuracy.i was shooting at a spray paint can i finally hit it but wasnt sure if the bullet was staying toghether every time. i was using a ar15 with a 24''1-9 barrel. ive got a few loaded shells main reason i dont use them is it wont cycle the action and with the 1-9 twist there prably spinning way to fast but if you try them let me no how they work for you. jason

Posts: 142 | Location: indiana | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bigbore50ak
posted Hide Post
what part of hoosierville you from? jason

one of us
posted Hide Post
i live in n. e. indiana, close to ft wayne.

Posts: 161 | Location: hoosierville | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bigbore50ak
posted Hide Post
im from and my parents still live in auburn. jason

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not from Indiana so sorry

However about the 35 grain VMax, I loaded some up with Benchmark powder ( 29 grains) in a bolt 223. they were accurate enough at a 100 yrds. Velocity was 4400 fps!

However the ballistics on that bullet are so bad compared to a 40 grain bullet, I would not mess with it. The 35 grain was not meant for a 223 at all. Strictly a 22 Hornet bullet.

For just 5 grains difference, the difference in looking at a 40 grain Sierra HP or a Nosler BT, compared to the 35 grain V Max, is amazing. Almost proportionally looks like a comparison between a 39 caliber 110 grain bullet and a 190 grain bullet.

Waste of time in my opinion.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote