New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55mm attributes?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have formed several opinions as a noob and I was wondering what were the opinions of others who have experience with this fine 6.5x55mm cartridge!

What are its attributes in your opinion?

What type of game do you find it suitable for in hunting NA and its effectiveness with a good hunting bullet out to 300 yds max?

I'm planning on a re-barrel tomorrow and was just looking for some mighty praise of the caliber.

I thought it be interesting to hear from others who are familiar with it and love it... Big Grin

I'll be re-barreling a Savage 30-06 and hope to reload 120gr and 140gr hunting bullets for deer-sized game and who knows whatever... Big Grin

Sheesh...I'm ecstatic about shooting this!

I'm interested in what you all might want to share...

Type of game shot and distances?

Type of hunting bullets and loads and velocities?

Anything you could share to send me into EUPHORIA... animal

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
Old saying that I have seen attributed to Jack O'Connnor, but probably goes farther back.

quote:
Because they don't know any better, the Swedes shoot moose with their 6.5X55 mausers. Because they don't know any better the moose fall down dead.

120-140 gr. bullets will kill well without hurting the shooter to much with recoil. What's not to like? Wink

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Al tho not in the same class as the 30-06, the 6.5 X55 is an outstanding cartridge. Not too big, not too small, it's just right. Few other cartridges are as well balanced, and fewer still offer the sectional density that 160 grain 6.5 has.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckshot:
Al tho not in the same class as the 30-06, the 6.5 X55 is an outstanding cartridge. Not too big, not too small, it's just right. Few other cartridges are as well balanced, and fewer still offer the sectional density that 160 grain 6.5 has.

And that goes not just for the 6.5x55, but also for the

6.5x50 (Japanese Arisaka)
6.5x54 (Mannlicher, both rimmed and rimless)
6.5x56 (Portuguese)
6.5x57 (Mauser)
and the 6.5x52 (AKA .260 Remington.)

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
I am a 6.5x55 newbie myself and am quite impressed with the caliber. So far this season, I have downed 4 does, a 10 point buck, and a coyote, and all dropped in their tracks. I am shooting a Blaser R-93 Professional, and my load is 120 gr Corelokts, CCI 250 primers, 49 grs RL-22 in Lapua brass.

All I intend to hunt with mine is whitetail deer in Texas and Oklahoma and the occasional hog or varmint, but I firmly believe it would work for much larger game with a premium bullet.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy reading what you all have been sharing...

Thanks guys!

I can't wait to hear more... clap

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
WinkHope this helps. popcorn

With 6.5s I've successfuly put down Large mule deer with 120 gr. bullets at 2300 fps., 140 gr. bullets at 2200 fps and 3000 fps. 156 gr. bullets at 2100 fps. and 2800 fps. and 160 at 1900 fps and 2750 fps. Never went after an Elk with a 6.5 but only because I was using something else. I did,however, shoot Elk with a 6mmx.270 IMP. Was not impressed. Sad story. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
WinkHope this helps. popcorn

With 6.5s I've successfuly put down Large mule deer with 120 gr. bullets at 2300 fps., 140 gr. bullets at 2200 fps and 3000 fps. 156 gr. bullets at 2100 fps. and 2800 fps. and 160 at 1900 fps and 2750 fps. Never went after an Elk with a 6.5 but only because I was using something else. I did,however, shoot Elk with a 6mmx.270 IMP. Was not impressed. Sad story. beerroger

Very, very much GOOD STUFF indeed there Roger!

It gives me a better feel for what I can run these bullet weights at depending on bullet construction and see that they kill'em good at the appropriate MV's...hehehe

Darn good stuff! clap popcorn clap

Thanks Buddy!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did anybody mention easy to load well balanced cartridge. And very accurate too.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes that was the primary basis and foundation for wanting this cartridge in a hunting rifle!

Thanks for bringing this up again to my attention, this is ALL good,,, beer

One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
Muck is right! I have 3 different powders that I use that all run slightly slower than RL22, but are all very accurate. I load 87gr HP's, 100gr HP and soft points, 120gr sp, 129gr sp, 135gr LGC, 140gr sp, and 160gr rnsp. I own 5 6.5x55 rifles. A 1964 Husqvarna 1600, 2 M38's, an M96, and a M41b. I had double neck fusion and started w/ 6.5x55 because of the very mild recoil. It is my go to caliber now. I mounted a 4x32mm ballistic plex on my 1600 and she is dead on at 100, 150, 200, 250, and 300 yards w/ 129..140gr bullets. I limit the 100's to 200 yards, plenty for the weight on large vermin like the coyotes we have here. 120..140 is about perfect for large white tail at distance. Very under rated round. Wish I had found it earlier. If you are re-barreling a 110/111, it is kind of a waste. A Model 10 short action would have worked better. A 6.5 mag would have been fun! Good luck and enjoy. jp

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Sullivan:
I am a 6.5x55 newbie myself and am quite impressed with the caliber. So far this season, I have downed 4 does, a 10 point buck, and a coyote, and all dropped in their tracks. I am shooting a Blaser R-93 Professional, and my load is 120 gr Corelokts, CCI 250 primers, 49 grs RL-22 in Lapua brass.

All I intend to hunt with mine is whitetail deer in Texas and Oklahoma and the occasional hog or varmint, but I firmly believe it would work for much larger game with a premium bullet.

BTW I like the cartridge so much that I bought a Sako 75 Finnlite in 6.5x55 too, and it is a definite shooter. Here is the first group I got after sighting in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JS...

You got a real fine shooter there! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jpat:
Muck is right! I have 3 different powders that I use that all run slightly slower than RL22, but are all very accurate. I load 87gr HP's, 100gr HP and soft points, 120gr sp, 129gr sp, 135gr LGC, 140gr sp, and 160gr rnsp. I own 5 6.5x55 rifles. A 1964 Husqvarna 1600, 2 M38's, an M96, and a M41b. I had double neck fusion and started w/ 6.5x55 because of the very mild recoil. It is my go to caliber now. I mounted a 4x32mm ballistic plex on my 1600 and she is dead on at 100, 150, 200, 250, and 300 yards w/ 129..140gr bullets. I limit the 100's to 200 yards, plenty for the weight on large vermin like the coyotes we have here. 120..140 is about perfect for large white tail at distance. Very under rated round. Wish I had found it earlier. If you are re-barreling a 110/111, it is kind of a waste. A Model 10 short action would have worked better. A 6.5 mag would have been fun! Good luck and enjoy. jp

Thanks for sharing!

I got a lot of other calibers that I'm real happy with and I didn't have an interest in the 6.5 MAG at least for now anyways...And owning 2 Savage 111's I thought one of them needed a change... jumping

Its been my understanding that the 6.5x55mm cartridge was an ideal re-barrel from all the Savage folks I've known in my 111 long-action vs a short-action...They said it would feed with no glitches or hitches... Big Grin

I wouldn't mind hearing your version in this regard...as I always open at least to listen and always willing to learn! Wink

Not that it will make any difference on this re-barrel as I don't own a Model 10 short-action...but who knows maybe in the future I might come across one...

Thanks again for sharing! popcorn

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
Here is my 10 pt. buck killed with my Blaser R-93 Professional with the 6.5x55 barrel topped with a Swarovski 3-9.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Killed 3 deer DRT w/120s in my old 6.5x55 M1896 mausers and 700 classic. None left their tracks, your experience Jeff replicated mine with corelokts.

Nice photo/deer. I'd bet Blaser uses correct 8" twist...

Bartsche....just let me borrow that 6/270AI and have me some 85 TSX's in there and let me show you what a 6mm can do.....with proper bullets, after you supply me an elk also Wink

Yes, the 6.5x55 has a LONG history of success, and lots with heavy bullets, but I stand firm saying that bullets made today with higher wt. retention can give equally impressive outcomes on game with shot placement-the first priority.

Waxed a deer with my Ruger K1A Swede this year, ANOTHER DRT, STRAIGHT DOWN! 130 Accubond, 250 paces.

Yep, not been much bad said by users, and the game hit with them never could get in a word....it works, very well, and w/o beating up the shooters shoulder or ears.

I HIGHLY recommend using an 8 twist no matter the barrel, 22-24" great for hunting, a 9 WILL work great 130 gr and under, for 140s, likely will but sometimes not very well, seems to vary from gun to gun. 8 twist you are good to go, 85-160 grains.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the twist in my Blaser, but I know my Sako does have a 1:8 twist. I have only tried 120's and 140's, but I just bought some 160's to try after deer season.

The Sako is throated much deeper than my Blaser, and with the 120's when seated just off the lands, there is not much bullet in the case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5BR,

Great stuff here, thanks!

My barrel-maker only makes a 8.5" twist...

Should I find another barrel-maker as I really want to shoot 120 and 140gr 95% of the time????

Definitely will not be shooting 160 gr out of this if anything other more like 100 grainers 5% of the time...

What do you think? Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6.5BR:

Bartsche....just let me borrow that 6/270AI and have me some 85 TSX's in there and let me show you what a 6mm can do.....with proper bullets, after you supply me an elk also Wink

That rifle now has a home in Grand Junction with some youngster I never met. From what I have heard it has been making a lot of 1 shot kills for the last 40 years. It is not an AI. It is a step beyond and that was an accident.It was meant to be a 6 mm -06 IMP. BOOMroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
With 6.5s I've successfuly put down Large mule deer with 120 gr. bullets at 2300 fps., 140 gr. bullets at 2200 fps and 3000 fps. 156 gr. bullets at 2100 fps. and 2800 fps. and 160 at 1900 fps and 2750 fps.

Roger,
Are you talking about these various fps from a 6.5x55 - rifle?

I am curious because I've been thinking about a 6.5 Grendel on a tiny mini-mauser action. The specs published for the cartridge show it will produce decent velocity. If you have had good success with 120gr bullets at 2300 fps, then that is reassuring, because the 6.5 Grendel in a bolt action will most likely do more fps than that.

beer
KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know about the twist in my Blaser,

According to Blaserpro the 6.5x55 has a rate of 1 in 220 ie 1 in 8.7 inches

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a VZ33 (small ring) fitted with a 24" surplus 6.5x55mm Swedish M38 barrel (when they were available brand new) and a Brazilian 1908 M 98 with a 22" Parker Hale 6.5x55mm barrel. Both like H4831 (known as AR2213 here in New Zealand).

On checking my notes, the VZ33 with a 48gr load of H4831 in Lapua cases, with a Hornady 129gr SP gave a 10 shot extreme spread from 2747 to 2775 fps, with an average of 2762 fps in the M38 barreled VZ33.
The 200 yard 3 shot group was 1.5" x 0.5".
The 120 gr SP with 49 gr of H4831 gave an average of 2796 fps. This rifle likes the 129 Hornady.

In the 22" Parker Hale barreled M98, with 120 gr Sierrs ProHunter SP and Lapua cases, 49 gr of H4831 gave an average of 2812 fps for 10 shots - and a 1" group at 100yds - off a rest. This rifle likes the 120 ProHunter.

I am very happy with accuracy, medium recoil, and lethality.

Arte et Marte

Posts: 116 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 09 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always thought the 6.5x55 was best with the 140 gr at the original velocities ~ 2750 .The new whimp loads don't interest me ! The 140 has high BC and SD, accurate does the job with little noise or recoil. Used it for 25 years for deer .Finn Aagaard said it is the perfect deer cartridge ! thumb

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
6.55x55 attributes:

1) handles bullets from 85-160 grains
140-160 have high SD
2) performance level of 25-06 or 270
3) very mild recoil
4) not everybody has one...yet

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know about the twist in my Blaser, but I know my Sako does have a 1:8 twist.

Blaser equips their 6.5x55 barrels with a 1:220mm (approx 1:8.66") twist rate.

1:8.5" will shoot 120 - 140 grs bullets just fine.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
6.55x55 attributes:

1) handles bullets from 85-160 grains
140-160 have high SD
2) performance level of 25-06 or 270
3) very mild recoil
4) not everybody has one...yet

+1 on that.

My wife and I both shoot the 6.5x55. She's used her's for pronghorn and deer inthe USA and the 155 gr Lapua Megas in Africa on game from Impala to Blue Wildebeest.

I use the 95 gr V Max for some long range varminting and witnessed another board member shot a prairie dog, 1st shot, at 607 yards. Bang flop.

I also have the 6.5x57R in a single shot rifle that is the rimmed equal to the 6.5x55 in every way.

At least to the deer and pronghorn it's taken!!

The 6.5s are a great caliber and compliment my 9.3s (9.3x62, 9,3x64Br, and 9.3x74R) very nicely.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 677 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is real good stuff guys!

I'm really looking forward on ordering this barrel today!

Thanks a bunch for participating as its been very interesting! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Squeeze: Keep in mind the 6.5 Swede hs a slightly larger case head than the .30-06 family, so be sure your bolt face will handle it. Otherwise, it is a simply fabulous old cartridge, and a fine choice.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Because they don't know any better, the Swedes shoot moose with their 6.5X55 mausers. Because they don't know any better the moose fall down dead.

ROTFLMAO!!!

Perfect!

Indeed, in Sweden and Norway the 6,5x55 is THE elk caliber due to it having been the military caliber of both countries.
I have nothing to add to the fortes of caliber already mentioned here, but I'll tell you something else.
An acquaintance of mine not long ago did a complete turnaround in his caliber choice, going from 9,3x62 to the 6,5! His decision was based on the very low recoil of the 6,5 and its good reputation as one-shot-killer.
He made an interesting analysis to which I subscribe that as the caliber is a tad marginal for elk, many a hunter probably makes extra sure of the shot placement which leads to good results. Combined with the low recoil i.e. no recoil shyness and consequent yanking of the trigger, the shots fired with a 6,5mm probably tend to be very good.

By "marginal" I am talking about the Scandinavian moose, here; for deer sure it's dandy!
Norma was for the longest time the only manufacturer to load moose-legal cartridges.
I saw a couple of times jams on the shooting range, as the recoil of the Norma ammo was so hard that it kicked the safety catch on on lighter rifles - so typically the 6,5mms at least used to be made for lighter loads. I have not seen this lately, nor ever with new weapons so I doubt if this'll be a problem; but you may want to try it on the range first!

Back to my friend: he and many others prefer the Lapua Naturalis bullets whose performance in all calibers seems to be very good, indeed.
Initially, the Naturalis bullets didn't open too well, but development work has taken place and now they work very well in a variety of velocity ranges.
This friend of mine also uses the 6,5mm for pigs in Estonia which I certainly would never do. Then, again, the other popular moose/pig caliber is the .308, and it is not in an altogether different power league.

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 552 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Squeeze: Keep in mind the 6.5 Swede hs a slightly larger case head than the .30-06 family, so be sure your bolt face will handle it. Otherwise, it is a simply fabulous old cartridge, and a fine choice.

Thanks Bill... clap

I think I'm going with Winchester brass as I think heard it has the .473" base....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schauckis:
quote:

ROTFLMAO!!!

Perfect!

Indeed, in Sweden and Norway the 6,5x55 is THE elk caliber due to it having been the military caliber of both countries.
I have nothing to add to the fortes of caliber already mentioned here, but I'll tell you something else.
An acquaintance of mine not long ago did a complete turnaround in his caliber choice, going from 9,3x62 to the 6,5! His decision was based on the very low recoil of the 6,5 and its good reputation as one-shot-killer.
He made an interesting analysis to which I subscribe that as the caliber is a tad marginal for elk, many a hunter probably makes extra sure of the shot placement which leads to good results. Combined with the low recoil i.e. no recoil shyness and consequent yanking of the trigger, the shots fired with a 6,5mm probably tend to be very good.

By "marginal" I am talking about the Scandinavian moose, here; for deer sure it's dandy!
Norma was for the longest time the only manufacturer to load moose-legal cartridges.
I saw a couple of times jams on the shooting range, as the recoil of the Norma ammo was so hard that it kicked the safety catch on on lighter rifles - so typically the 6,5mms at least used to be made for lighter loads. I have not seen this lately, nor ever with new weapons so I doubt if this'll be a problem; but you may want to try it on the range first!

Back to my friend: he and many others prefer the Lapua Naturalis bullets whose performance in all calibers seems to be very good, indeed.
Initially, the Naturalis bullets didn't open too well, but development work has taken place and now they work very well in a variety of velocity ranges.
This friend of mine also uses the 6,5mm for pigs in Estonia which I certainly would never do. Then, again, the other popular moose/pig caliber is the .308, and it is not in an altogether different power league.

Very interesting info!

I appreciate you taking the time to share... clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 6.5x55mm has taken whitetailed deer and black bear for about 15 years now. I'd say animals from 100 pounds to somewhere in the mid-300's, at ranges over 300 yards.

I loved to use the Hornady 129gr. bullets in my rifle on deer, very good if your rifle shoots them well. The 140gr. Partition bullet took my first black bear.

Its lower velocity relative to other rounds is made up for by high ballistic coefficient which helps it retain velocity and energy over longer distances. The same lower velocity tends to make expansion much more predictable and reliable. It really is an amazingly well-balanced round.

I'd love to try some of the heavier 156gr. bullets offered by Norma on moose in the thick brush where I normally hunt them. I have little doubt the 6.5x55 would do just fine.

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Squeeze: Keep in mind the 6.5 Swede hs a slightly larger case head than the .30-06 family, so be sure your bolt face will handle it.

Correct, but I believe US manufactured 6.5x55 brass is made with standard case head size - although this is not strictly according to spec. European 6.5x55 (e.g. Lapua, Norma etc) brass has the somewhat larger (and for the cartridge "correct") head size.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had a 6.5x55 with a full stock,turned military barrel, built on a turk,IIRC. i sold to a freind for a song because his daughter liked it and needed a rifle for her first deer hunt. needless to say,although it went to a good cause and a good freind, every once in a while i really miss that gun, it was so much fun to shoot. it wasn't overly accurate, but it never shot over 1-1/2"(+/-) , no matter what i put in it, either.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
quote:
With 6.5s I've successfuly put down Large mule deer with 120 gr. bullets at 2300 fps., 140 gr. bullets at 2200 fps and 3000 fps. 156 gr. bullets at 2100 fps. and 2800 fps. and 160 at 1900 fps and 2750 fps.

Roger,
Are you talking about these various fps from a 6.5x55 - rifle?

Some yes, most NO. Three rifles; 6.5 Carcano. 6.5 X 55 single shot and one of the first 6.5 X .284 with a real fast twist. fishingroger

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Some great info here, on the 6.5 Grendel, in a small action/carbine sized rifle, it looks to be a nice round, efficient, light recoil and blast even in a short stubby bbl.

My 7BR ran 120s at 2878 in 21", and I would expect a 6.5G to do 2600-2700 depending on bbl length.

Whenever you talk 6.5's, take note, the 129 SPs ALWAYS come up. It's a standard. I think the bearing surface of the bullet is not alot greater than a 120 as it's velocities are always closer to 120s than you'd imagine.

Also, the fact that the 6.5 has very high SD and BC lends itself to LONG bullets, which increases friction therefore hindering speeds perhaps, but sticking with proper twists to keep accuracy and nose forward-esp. during penetration on game, the long bullets also retain speeds very well, often closing the gap between say a 6.5x55 and a 270 downrange, looking at like bullet weights.

As to twist, you got my pm, but 9's can be marginal in some 6.5s depending on bullet wt. and mv of course, but mid 8 range, 8.5, 8.66/8.7 etc. are FINE for 140s, my current 9 Sako 260 handles 140s no problem. Seems to prefer 130s best, ABs doing 3/4" at 200 yds...3 shots of course.

As to the comment not everyone has one yet....stateside.....I'd imagine the country of Sweden/Finland are Saturated with plenty 6.5s, inc. Norway, etc.

Dang, if everyone reads all these posts, the Swede will be like the '06, then I'll have to look for another 'different round' to use.

.......the 6.5x47 is next

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M...

Thanks for the additional details...It gives me some depth in what I can look forward to...I ordered my barrel today!

I appreciate you sharing!
Big Grin
Ro

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChopperGuy:
I also have the 6.5x57R in a single shot rifle that is the rimmed equal to the 6.5x55 in every way.
Now that is an interesting cartridge! I can fit it on my Lee Enfield No.4

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
and sometimes besides being accurate and lethal, we make a rifle chambered for that round and they turn out to be a rifle we can be proud of... cause it looks plain ol purdy...

Here is my Model 70 Featherweight, rebarreled in 6.5 x 55... with a 26 inch Pac Nor barrel with a one in 8 twist.. with the factory laminate stock, and a 3 x 9 Leupold with a heavy German Number One Reticle...

previously in life it sported a 30/06 Barrel or two...and a 6.5 x 20 Leupold Scope...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
quote:
Squeeze: Keep in mind the 6.5 Swede hs a slightly larger case head than the .30-06 family, so be sure your bolt face will handle it.

Correct, but I believe US manufactured 6.5x55 brass is made with standard case head size - although this is not strictly according to spec. European 6.5x55 (e.g. Lapua, Norma etc) brass has the somewhat larger (and for the cartridge "correct") head size.

- mike

After ahooting 6.5 x 55s with both a push feed and a Mauser style extractor, I can tell ya this.. the only one finicky is the push feed models...

rim sizes vary on 6.5 x 55 Brass.. I am sure the Euro ones are correct sized....

for stateside produced brass...

Winchester does NOT have the standard American .473 bolt face.. it has the European standard....

However both Remington and PMC brass do have the standard 30/06 sized bolt face.. aka .473...

So if it is a push feed, just use Remington Brass and you will experience no problems with case extraction...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote