Find
Notify
Tools

204 ruger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok guys and gals

I have always wanted a real heavy 17 rem in an encore barrel (had one in a 21" contender) so I could see my own shots hit. Well the question is...... will a heavy barreled 204 ruger do the same thing or will it move enough at the shot to loose site picture?? Some one out there has to have one and know the answer.

Thanks
Hogslayer

Posts: 98 | Location: Elizabeth City,NC usa | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hogslayer, Mine is a 204 in Savage VLP and I shot a groundhog Saturday at 323 yards and watched the "death spray" with the Nikon scope on 20X! Negligble recoil! That one was off a bag on the truck hood. GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hogslayer: My good friend Jack from Yelm, Washington called me just last night. He had travelled over to north central Montana last week for 5 days of Varminting. He had along his new Ruger #1-V (stainless laminated stock, 26" heavy barrel model) in caliber 204 Ruger and he spoke VERY highly of its performance in the Varmint fields! I specifically asked him the question you have asked and his answer was yes the bullet impact from this Rifle and caliber was readily observable. This really aides in higher success ratios on follow-up shots and adds to the satisfaction of Varminting in my opinion! I am actively searching for a 204 Ruger in heavy barrel something. Preferably a Ruger M-77V or Ruger #1-V like my friends.

Yep sight picture intact on that model anyway! He was using reloads with 32 gr. bullets. He has not tried the 40 grain bullets as yet but intends to.

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Next time you speak with him, could you ask him about wind drift? Also, what sort of ranges was he connecting at?

one of us
posted Hide Post
VG, The 77V out to be showing up out your way! There's one here in the shop that is $600.00 + tax and it's a right good looking peice. Let me know if you can't find one. It would cost you actual shipping to get it to you + the 600 and tax. GHD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Medford: I will do so the next time we chat. He is not yet computer literate so Ma Bell will be involved.

Groundhog devastation: Thanks for the info on the 77V in your shop! What is the sales tax in your state? I am encouraged by your report! What is the sales tax in your state? I guess I will just have to be patient. I was hoping to get a 204 online here by the start of this Prairie Dog season. I still have some time for mid season shooting! The PD shooting here in Montana is on hold right now as heavy rains, some snow and some hail have been falling for a week around here! Gumbo would be the order of the day in PD country now for sure.
More later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in the early sixties, I used a Rem 722 in 257 Robts using 48 gr of H-4831 with 100 grain Sierra flat based bullets. Using a Redfield 3-9x scope, the rifle rig weighed 8# 13oz. I could literally see the bullet hit woodchucks before the rifle recoiled and knew instantly if I'd hit or missed them. By my calculation, that rifle recoiled at between 11 and 12 ft-lbs depending on the velocity. I believed it to be about 3000 to 3100 fps.

Therefore, I believe you can calculate the expected recoil of the 204 Ruger. Knowing (or estimating) the weight of the rifle, scope and mounts and then knowing the bullet weight you intend to use, its velocity with the powder charge you intend to use, you can calculate the rifles free recoil. If its significantly under ll ft-lbs, I believe you should be able to see the bullet either hit or miss your target. I f you missed you know exactly where you hit and can follow up immediately making the necessary sighting correction.

Posts: 58 | Location: Plain City, Ohio, USA | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VG, Sales tax here is 4.5%, so the rifle and tax would be 627.00 and the shipping would be as I said, exact! I sent a Savage 93/17 to Wyoming and actual was 9.17!!! Let me know and I'll send the particulars!! THERE IS NOT ONE PENNY IN IT FOR ME!!! Just helping a fello shooter!!!
Now as far as recoil, a 243 Win, loaded with 75 grain Speer HP in front of 36.0 grains of 3031 and a CCI BR-2 or CCI200, topped with an old Weaver 3x9 variable will allow you to see the "smack" on varmints all day long!!! That velocity was 3210 I think......1977 data! GHD

one of us
posted Hide Post
VG, The groundhog shooting here is on hold due to the late cutting of first cutting hay and some of us knowing that "an early kill of a female is effectively eliminating later targets!!!!" We need the rain!!! It has rained .1 or .25 somewhere around everyday for the last 2 weeks.....EXCEPT WHERE I NEED TO NO-TILL CORN!!!! Hay would have been just enough rain to mess it up!! We'll get straightened out here before long!!! GHD

one of us
posted Hide Post
GHD: Today I took the afternoon off (from retirement!) and headed the 110 miles to Bozeman, Montana. Lots of neat stuff in the shops there but no 204 Rugers at all!
I have a scope, the dies, some bullets and the "NEED" for a 204 I just want to feel one in the flesh and inspect it upfront. I may have to take you up on your generous offer and favor if something does not show soon!
I have a Prairie Dog Safari coming up soon probably to soon to do much for the 204 if I did get it this week anyway! I may head the otherway - west, 130 miles and check out the Bitterroot Valley and Missoula again for 204's! Maybe even tomorrow!
Today was the first day in about 10 here that did not include rain, sleet or snow!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
VG, as long as a rifle is shipped to an FFL in your state, you do not have to pay a sales tax on the whole purchase but only on the transaction fee that your dealer would charge to do the paperwork. Here in TN , the dealer I use charges $15+tax on that and $10 for a background check for a total of $26.39. And I am sure GHD would not steer you wrong as we have exchanged e-mail in the past where he helped me out with some loads in detail, I have never met him personally but he is surely a standup fellow.

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sll: Thanks for the clarification on the charges! I have an FFL dealer here on my end that will do the transaction and background check for $20.00. If something does not show up soon here in the Rockies i will have to do the sight unseen purchase!
Thanks again for your info
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Hey Varmint Guy, I just checked with our local Scheels store here in Billings and they have a Ruger #1B in a 204. I had Zack hold it for me ($649.95) Call them at 656-9220 and ask for Zack. He can call me to release it to you.

Good Luck

Snapper

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just noticed Remington started to list their M700 VLS in 204 Ruger - or is this old hat??

700 VLS
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
I've been told that just about every gun co. will come out with a gun chambered in the 204.

Stopped by the Billings gunsmiths (256-8390) and they have a ruger stainless bolt on display for $549.99.

I would like to see the CZ version.

Snapper

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snapper: Thanks but now I have the hots for the Remington 700 VLS in 204! Originally I had the hots for the Ruger 77V or the #1-V (stainless with laminated stock) models. Now I am gonna call in some favors and get one of those Remington heavy barreled 700 VLS's coming my way ASAP.
If this rain and snow ever lifts I am headed for PD land (passing by Billings) and I will stop in and peruse what is happening there in person!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
VG, The VLS would have been my choice too but the SAVAGE got here first! I like the feel of the new Remington LV's but just think that 4 more inches of barrel would be worth the VLS. Good luck and let us know! If I find the VLS here, I'll let you know! I have a good friend in Madison, NC.....Remingtons headquarters ....who may just be the first one to have one! GHD