Find
Notify
Tools

Pac NW .223/5.56 sources?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
My housekeeper's husband is trying to find some .223 commercially loaded ammo for his own use.

I know the stuff is in short supply everywhere these days. I also know you guys know where everything is, who is reliable about delivery, and who is not.

I suspect he would be best off ordering from some big outfit, but which one? He undertands he may be back-ordered, but how long? Who is reliable about filling ammo back-orders? Who if anyone, should he avoid?

And, of course, those of you in Oregon...is there anywhere within "normal" driving distance of Roseburg (Grant's Pass, Coos Bay, Eugene, Salem, Medford, etc.) where he could just go buy a bunch?

I can't help him as I have had no need to buy factory ammo since Hector was a tiny puppy, so I know nothing of the current immediate market.

Any advice I can give him?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
reload Big Grinseriously i'm seeing it pop up in most of the mail order catalogs that come - probably the easy way out

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butchloc -

I am not certain I understand what you are suggesting...

Do you mean they are now selling lots of reloads and he should take a look at that? Or that he should take up reloading? (I don't think he reloads anything right now.)

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
he really needs to reload

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As you indicate, there is a shortage presently and how long? good question.

You can google ".223 ammo" and see what turns up. And if you can be happy with reloads, Black Hills, Rapid City and Ultramax have supplied reloaded mil surplus cases. I'd google that too.

Like yourself, I go with reloads... I see ads, in cheaperthandirt.com, and sportsmansguide.com with regularity. No idea about back orders. Satisfied with service I have had, but not ammo. Grafs.com. Midwayusa.com. Midsouthshooterssupply.com. Natchez.com. Basically you have to try... Luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got an email from Ammoman dot com, they have .223 in stock and they have free shipping and no tax for out of state buyers (Or. doesn't have sales tax if I recall) Some of the ammo seemed almost reasonably priced.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I was in the Cabelas store in Ft. Worth, TX yesterday and they have 300 round ammo cans of .223 for $144. Not the best price but they had multiple cans ot it. Also had 7.62-39. You may want to check a Cabelas catalog or store if there is one in your area.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice you guys. I'll call her husband tonight and pass it on. (He's one of the local Pacific Power troubleshooters...so I like to be on his good side when the power goes out...which it does for several hours at a time at least 8-10 times per year here.