THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Which very hot 22? New project

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which very hot 22? New project
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I intend to built a very hot 22 caliber rifle on a Mauser standart action. It should be a caliber which I can easy reload (I just start my reloader carrier). My first idea was the
5,6x57. What would you recommend? Compare it with the 5,6x57.

It should be
- easy to reload
- available in Germany (224 Wby is here big problem)

Burkhard

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought of the same a few years ago, but my gunmaker advised me against that kaliber if you were a reloader!.Neck problems and such!.

Go for the .22-250Imp or the 22-284 Imp!. They will do better Smiler.

A good friend of mine has a 22-243 Imp, which will outperform the .220 Swift with 300 Ft/sec in all bulletweights!.

My own project will be a 6mm-284 Imp!.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Burkhard, What is the magazine box length of a standard Mauser action?

The reason I ask is that hot 22's are best with the heavier bullet weights. A case such as the 5.6x57, (2.233 inches) that you mention would be definitely too long for many magazine boxes when attempting to work cases loaded with bullets of 65 grains or more in weight in many standard length actions.

I discovered that with the .224 Clark (22/257 Roberts imp) when using those bullet weights, there was insufficient length in the short action Remington 700 magazine box (2.8 inches).

After 1600 shots with the Clark, I had the barrel set back and rechambered to the 22/250 AI, and it works perfectly with the Remington 700 short action.

I am currently in the process of building another .224 Clark, and this time will be using a Remington 700 long action,(mag box 3.660) and a Krieger 26 inch 1 in 6.5 twist barrel, which will enable me to stabilise and shoot bullets such as the Sierra 90 grain MK (1.160 inches), and the Wildcat 100 (1.300 inches)and 107 (1.355 inches) grain ULD's.

I also would avoid the 5.6x57 due to the problems associated with the thick neck on that case. Brian.

Posts: 66 | Location: Oaklands Park, South Australia | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 223WSSM, and though I like it fine, I would not recommend it. The guys that are the happiest are shooting either a 22/250 AI or a Swift AI.

In the real world, there is no improvement beyond the 22/250AI, it is easy to load, brass (at least on this side of the pond) is everywhere and of high quality.

Though the 57mm Mauser case is fine, the guys that try that route usually only do it once. The 22/250 AI guys are the ones doing it over and over and over. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
22BR. Uses 20 grains less than the 22-250 and brass is the best you can buy. The only problem might be is getting it to feed properly.

http://www.6mmbr.com/22BR.html

This is a no brainer. Almost double the barrel life of a 22-250.

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nortman:
22BR. Uses 20 grains less than the 22-250 and brass is the best you can buy. The only problem might be is getting it to feed properly.

http://www.6mmbr.com/22BR.html

This is a no brainer. Almost double the barrel life of a 22-250.

NOT if you make it a single shot like I do all of my rifles like this anyway......

I am looking at doing a 22 BR and a 6 BR on a Savage action for target work....

HOwever, I do love the 22.250...But I admit not to redlining mine to max velocity....

If you could care less about barrel life, I'd recommend the 22.243... the 22.284 is a tad faster, but not all that much, but takes a lot of extra powder to get there.....

of course if brass life is not a problem or concern.... 36.5 grains of RL 7, ( which is made in Sweden but I don't know what it is called over there) and a 40 grain bullet in a 22.250 can be pushed to 4700 fps or so....case life is 2 or 3 shots only....pressure is up there.. but you Europeans are not as all fired freaked out over that.. as the American " lawyer sue happy" society in the USA....

you get much over the 243 sized case in 22 caliber, you get diminishing returns real quick... a lot more powder and NOT a lot more velocity and much shorter barrel life....

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Germany you should have no trouble finding the neccessary bits to reload for a 5,6x61 Vom Hofe. It wil give similar ballistics to the American 22-06 Easling and the almost identical 22x64 we use in South Africa. They do not come any hotter than that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the informations

Jens - I knew the 22-250, brass is available but
what's the "imp" difference?
22/284 is this same brass like 6,5x284?
Brianw- 224 Clark is unknown by my smith, the
257 Roberts is not available.
Dutch - Swift brass is hard to find, what means
the AI in 22/250
Gerard- The 5m6x61 SE vom Hofe was my first
idea, but my gunsmith warned me,
reloading is difficult.

Which is the heaviest/longest bullet available
in 22?

Burkhard

one of us
posted Hide Post
.22/250 Ackley Improved (AI or Imp.) has a 40 degree shoulder vs 28 for the factory round . Case - wall taper is minimal also . By fireforming standard .22/250 cases in an Ackley Improved chamber you end up with a case that has 2 or 3 grains more capacity than the .220 Swift and is less prone to stretching than the standard .22/250 . Quite a popular and efficient round . More capacity than this will give dramatically short barrel life .
107 grains is the heaviest .22 projectile that I have heard of . Probably need about a 1 in 6 inch twist to stabilise it .
.22/284 is a real barrel burner by all accounts and yes it is a necked down 6.5/.284 or .284 Win .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Burkhard:
Which is the heaviest/longest bullet available
in 22?

Burkhard

Some of the longest and heaviest .224 cal bullets are made for long range competition. Sierra makes at least one 90 grs bullet, Nosler and Berger make 80 grs bullets. There are bound to be others...

Of bullets intended for hunting, a Speer 70 grs is probably about as heavy as you'll find them. I hasten to add, that I have not tried nor am I aware of all bullets in existence. Wink
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Burkhard, The heaviest .224 bullet currently available from one of the major bullet manufacturers is the Sierra 90 grain HPBT MatchKing.

However, Wildcat Bullets make a 100 and 107 grain ULD in 224 calibre. The 107 grain ULD is built using a heavy tapered 6mm jacket that is reduced to .224. Time will tell how effective this bullet is on game. Richard Graves of Wildcat bullets can be contacted by emailing him at wildcatbullets@hotmail.com

The 224 Clark could also be built by necking down 7x57 brass or 6mm Remington brass to .224 and then fireforming.

Another option is a 22/6mm which is formed by simply necking down the 6mm Remington case to .224. I know several users who love this case, and achieve 3,600 fps with the Hornady 75 grain Amax.

Good luck on your project.

Posts: 66 | Location: Oaklands Park, South Australia | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 5.6x57mm RWS! You can get RWS brass from Natchez, or just form the brass from 6mm Remington too. Only problem using 6mm Rem cases is that the dies for a 5.6x57 will not swage the thinner US made brass down to accept a .224 bullet, I had to use a .22-250 sizing die for the project.
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Burkhard,

Naturally, a 5,6X57 RWS.
Get a factory caliber and leave the wildcats behind. Caliber is easy to reload for, brass supply is good, if you are out of luck it's not very difficult to form cases from 6,5X57, 7X57 or 8X57IS.

Cheers
/JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just finished fixing up a 1909 in 22 CHeeta.

Based on the 243 with a 40 degree shoulder, it surpasses both the 223 WSSM and 220 Swift in performance.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Spencer,

do I need a sprecial reamer for this or can I take the reamer for the 243?

Burkhard