Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-06 bragging
 Login/Join

posted
I dont usually have much to post, I really just like reading others' posts and learning as much as possible about shooting and reloading. Here's a target from a trip to the range last week. I've been using Sierra 90 gr HPBT out of my Savage 111 LRH but decided to bump up a weight class to the 100 gr Sierras. I think the rifle really liked it. I had 53.5 gr of H4831SC behind it with CCI BR2 primers. This was at Logan County Fish and Game club in Bellefontaine, Ohio which has some of the strangest wind patterns (at least outside of Perry, so I've heard). Any rate, for all of you 25 cal fans out there, here's something to puff your chest out about. And yes, that is 5 rounds inside of a half inch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good shooting! And welcome!

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nice.. looks like a good load for your rifle..

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell, I shot a 3/4 inch group last week with my .222 Remington M700 Varmint Spec. and thought I had done something. "Nice shootin' Tex" !

Posts: 3786 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks all! That being said, I'm always looking for ways to improve and one thing I'm not too keen on is the stock for that rifle. I think it has too much give in it with the flimsy plastic and the hokey cheek piece, not to mention the rubberized coating is rubbing off. It does have the Accu-bed aluminum block in it, but would a laminate stock with some glass bedding in it be a better option? I would really like to hear from some people that have used a stock Savage rifle stock and switched to a custom stock. Why you did it, what your results were, where you got it and if you had a gunsmith do the bedding job for you. Not afraid to try a bedding job myself, but I recognize that my skills are limited and $ spent on a professional job is usually the best dollars spent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a great range experinece my self yesterday with my Sako Finnbear in 25-06./ my load was with the120gr Hornady bullet and 58gr of reloder25 powderI was able to group 3 inside my thumbnail at 100 yeards and the Magneto speed av 3162 fps with sd of 19 and es of 38.
For me it was a dream come true as I have tried many bullet and powder combinations with Ok results.
I am going to try the same charge with TSX 115 gr and 115gr Nosler partition and see how things look.. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not surprised, I have been using the 90 gr. Sierra HP Gameking in my 250-3000 for years, and its always worked on Deer with spectacular results, and its my most Accurate load with H414 power, shoots under and inch everytime in that older Savage 99 TD 250-3000. I will be using it on whitetail in texas this coming Nov. 7th..Might use it on a cow elk, if I decide to not take a bull..I will stop over in Walzenburg Colorado on the way to Texas for my elk this year.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 25-06 has been passed around my collection of hunting buddies for several years, most at first knew very little of the cartridge, but in short order were all converted to it's merits.
I have 2, the one in question is a plain Jane M77 MKII blued/walnut, it has been tweaked with full glass/pillar bedding, floated and Timney trigger set at 2lbs. This is the funny thing, this rifle shoots less than 3/8 MoA with most bullet weights, but with 100gr Nosler BT's it will shoot into less than 1/4 MoA as far out as is practicable. It holds this level of precision out to 600yrds, and my buddies are in awe of it's performance.
My other 25-06 is a Rem 700 Sendero II, it is no where near in the same ball park as the Ruger.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
That is some fine shootin!

I picked up a Kimber in 25-06 for a steal from a local pawn shop. It hovers around .75" at 100.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a hard time finding a 25 cal rifle that wasn't accurate.

the only gripe I have with my 25-06 is the amount of meat loss I get with it when shooting deer.
I shot one last week at 330yds and I still lost a good part of the onside shoulder.
I try to not shoot them there, but it was drop it where it stood or watch it fall/run off a cliff.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My .25-'06 is a pre-64 Winchester .257 Roberts rechambered. It pre-dates Remington's adoption of the cartridge as a factory round. No, I did not commit the sacrilege of rechambering, it was that way when I got it.

It has accounted for any number of whitetail and is almost as deadly as my .256 Newton, which is high praise, indeed.

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quarter-bore:
Thanks all! That being said, I'm always looking for ways to improve and one thing I'm not too keen on is the stock for that rifle. I think it has too much give in it with the flimsy plastic and the hokey cheek piece, not to mention the rubberized coating is rubbing off. It does have the Accu-bed aluminum block in it, but would a laminate stock with some glass bedding in it be a better option? I would really like to hear from some people that have used a stock Savage rifle stock and switched to a custom stock. Why you did it, what your results were, where you got it and if you had a gunsmith do the bedding job for you. Not afraid to try a bedding job myself, but I recognize that my skills are limited and $ spent on a professional job is usually the best dollars spent.

The Accustock seems to work fine. I don't think there is much better than .5" MOA 5 shot groups. I have 2 Savages and both shoot great. The latest is a 5.5 lb synthetic stainless lightweight with a non Accustock. The stock is super flimsy but there is plenty is space arund the pencil barrel to keep it from touching under recoil. This is my last 3 shot group after I got it sighted in.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
That is some fine shootin!

I picked up a Kimber in 25-06 for a steal from a local pawn shop. It hovers around .75" at 100.

Would love to pick up a Kimber in .25-06 or .257 Roberts for cheap! Good score.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quarter-bore:
It does have the Accu-bed aluminum block in it, but would a laminate stock with some glass bedding in it be a better option? I would really like to hear from some people that have used a stock Savage rifle stock and switched to a custom stock. Why you did it, what your results were, where you got it and if you had a gunsmith do the bedding job for you.

Even though my three VLP's and 10MLII came with laminate stocks, I bedded all
of them....it's not rocket science. None of them shot worse, and a .22-250 shot
a lot better. Didn't notice much difference on a .25-06 (yes, Savage did make the
VLP in that caliber for a while). The important thing is to make the action
totally stress-free. I did my first one, the muzzle loader, using the methods in
the following article which pertained to that rifle:

http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html After that one, I went on my own, but basically
used the methods which pertained to each rifle. If you get an after market stock, you
will need to find/make pillars as well, but DO NOT bed the tang on a Savage. Need a
few thousandths of clearance there. Just bed the area from the rear pillar to and
including the recoil lug. Boyd's is the best bang for the buck for laminate stocks.

Here is a post which may be helpful, but use Richard Franklin's method of electricians
tape rather than a clamp...the clamp could very well add stress:

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/f...ewtopic.php?t=129746 It does give a decent idea
for pillars.

More good info:
http://www.longrangehunting.co...edding-tricks-60640/

Good shootin', by the way. Mine has gotten 5/16 group, but the normal is 3/4".

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like 25 calibers too !
I have 2 Roberts and a Roberts AI.
I sold a .257 Weatherby. Have thought i might get a .2506 Tikka one day ...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Apart from easy to do a load, the 25-06 is also a good game getter.