Notify
Tools

Remington vs. UMC Ammo?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BoomRM
posted
Hey guys,

I just picked up a good deal on a 50 round value pack of UMC .17 Rem FB ammo. I understand that it is probably manufactured with lower grade bullets, powder, and primers, but what about the brass?

Thanks,

Boom

My .25-06 shoots 1/4" all day long.....

Posts: 82 | Location: Utah | Registered: 29 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wwjmbd
posted Hide Post
Ive been loading umc brass for my 22-250 that I picked up 7 years ago by buying 400 rds of umc factory ammo without a problem. I have found it to be decent quality.

Posts: 159 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I understand that it is probably manufactured with lower grade bullets, powder, and primers, but what about the brass?

I don't think that's true at all.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BoomRM
posted Hide Post
*probably* What would explain it's significantly lower cost than all of the other Remington brands?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found no difference in brass for the 17 FB and 223 Rem. Measurements, weight, etc were similar... in the proof is in the numerous times i reloaded them

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BoomRM:
Hey guys,

I just picked up a good deal on a 50 round value pack of UMC .17 Rem FB ammo. I understand that it is probably manufactured with lower grade bullets, powder, and primers, but what about the brass?

Thanks,

You are kidding right?

You think a factory manufactures dual sets of all components and makes one set worse than the other intentionally?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BoomRM
posted Hide Post
No, I am not kidding! And I think what??? I stand corrected, though. After further researching the UMC line of ammo, I learned that there are a limited number of bullet offerings in various calibers in the UMC line. According to Remington, this makes it possible for higher production rates which in turn lowers the cost to the consumer. I'm happy that I will have some good brass to load when I shoot this all up - Which was the intent of my question. **EDITED**

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far I've reloaded (neck sized only) a box of .223 UMC 5 times.I'm still getting excellent accuracy and can't see any wear problems with the brass yet.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BoomRM
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the relevant responses, guys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Boom, in SR4749's defense, your question did seem to presuppose the UMC ammo is of lesser quality, and that would require a deleberate decision to run a lower quality production line, would it not?

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BoomRM
posted Hide Post
After re-reading my original post, I do indeed agree, Jim. The question should have been phrased differently. I stand corrected.....again.

Boom

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Boom, when you figured out your mistaken assumption you corrected it. Let’s move on.

Welcome to the forum were assumptions are the norm, and apologies are the exception. Wink

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink