New
Find
Notify
Tools

62gr TSX in a AR-15
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I relaoded some 62 gr TSX bullets yesterday with very good results. I am shooting them out of a 16" AR-15. I used Varget and H4895 with the best results out of the H4895. 24.5 grains resulted in 2620 fps and under 1/2moa at 100 yards. My AR has a really tight chamber so running any higher velocities usually results in stuck cases. I was anxious to test the bullets on flesh so I suited up in camies and headed for the creeks looking for swine. Unfortunately I left the snake boots at home so the hunt was short lived. No kills to report. My AR has a LMT colapsable stock, carbon fiber forend, a 16" fluted barrel and a Comp 2 Aimpoint. I use a 20 round mag with 10 rounds in it, talk about a light and handy rifle for thick brush. I cant wait to see the terminal performance, or lack there of but doubtful, of this load. I did slip up on a sleeping doe, suprised us both at 10 paces!

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to see how these will group in my RRA 24" Varmiter.

Thanks for the report.

Posts: 73 | Location: Pocahontas, AR | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bet the group would be good. You will probably get a little more steam out of the 24" tube but not enough to cause any problems. My AR is very finicky with burning rates due to its tight chamber, but the upside is that it is a one hole shooter with most ammos.

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put them on some hogs this morning and they really shined. I have them ONLY going 2660 fps, bear that in mind. The first hog was a 150# sow. She trotted across an open field at 150 yards and I took a very ill advised running shot, hit her square in the hips. She dropped her hind end and stuck her head straight up. At that I finished her with a head shot. Much to my pleasure the first shot broke both hips and EXITTED. I could not believe the amount of muscle and bone that little bullet went through. The second hog I slipped up on as he was feeding in a sendero. He was about 80# and stood about 60 yards out. I heart shot him and he went about 10 yards and dropped dead. The bullet exitted and the blood trail was pretty thick. After gutting him I did a quick autopsy and found the bullet hit ribs entering and exitting and broke his off side leg bone. My thumb fit cleanly in the exit hole. Barnes really did it with this one. I typically shoot hogs behind the ear and with this round there is no fear of under penetration. As a side note I went back to hog #1 to find a yote eating the guts. I shot him through the leftside hip and the bullet exitted between his right shoulder and neck. He never knew what hit him.

Perry

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Perry, look into David Tubbs carrier weight system, what you think is a tight chamber could be a slightly large gas port. The loads you mention don't sound overboard to me so the timing issue of the bolt unlocking could be creating an "apparent" effect. My most accurate load is a Sierra 77 with 23.5 grs of IMR 4895 in a Colt Accurized Rifle (24", 1 in 9 twist) It's a pussy cat. Another way to check is if you can find the H3 buffer for the carbine... heavier has it merits. See AR15.com for some very indepth discussions of these matters. My 16" is a Colt 7.62 x 39 upper, you just gotta love caliber!

Perry, you do know how to have fun... good work!

cheers

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Might I ask what twist the barrel is?

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1:9

Perry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
H4895. 24.5 gns and only 2620 fps?

I would have thought you could get more fps than that? I am going to give some a go in my AR [16" 1:9"] but wouldnt mind if they were more nearer 2800fps.

I can get 3000fps with 25.4gn of Benchmark [ADI BM2] and a 55gn Vmax.

Will post results when I get my hands on some.