New
Find
Notify
Tools

What type of Sako do I have
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought a Sako in 222 Remington at an estate sale about 15 or so years ago, I am not sure what model it is. I wrote to Sako concerning this and they told me they did not know and could not provide any info....that I should consult a "Blue Book", I find that amazing that one of the better rifle manufacturers in the world and they don't have a clue what they made. Therefor I ask any of the members if they have an idea, the only SAKO emblem is on the butt plate, On the reciever it is stamped "L461 #57530" I assume the last digits are the serial number. It is as new condition and of high quality. It has a front sight but no rear sight since it must have been removed with the installation of a redfield variable. It has one peace sling hardware for the sling and this harware is not a quick detach like the one available today. So if someone is a Sako fan or has a blue book and does not mind spending the time to look it up I would greatly appreciate your efforts.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are there any markings on the barrel? I have a Sako vixen heavy barrel in 222 with an L461 action. The barrel has Bofors Steel stamped on it. I don't have the serial # handy though.

Posts: 200 | Location: Belle Plaine, IA USA | Registered: 09 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CISCO:
Are there any markings on the barrel? I have a Sako vixen heavy barrel in 222 with an L461 action. The barrel has Bofors Steel stamped on it. I don't have the serial # handy though.

Yes it does say "Bofors Steele" on the barrel bolt side. along with "caliber 222" on the top of the barrel in front of the reciever. This has the normal taper barrel for a sporter at 24"

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not very familiar with Sako. I just picked mine up last spring(love it BTW)
Anyway, from what I can tell from the 12th edition of Blue Book Gun Values you could have a standard sporter Vixen. Mine is stamped Vixen on the barrel. But the blue book lists any short action, and the L461 is a short action, as a Vixen. That is all I can tell you. Hopefully someone with Sako knowledge will jump in here.

Chris

Posts: 200 | Location: Belle Plaine, IA USA | Registered: 09 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
raamw: You have what is commonly referred to as a "pre-Garcia" Sako Vixen. This means it was produced prior to about 1972 and was likely imported by the Firearms International Corp. of Washington D.C., the importer immediatly prior to the Garcia Corporation (yes, the fishing reel people).

If it has a sporter barrel and stock, the barrel will measure approximately 23.75 inches. There was never any rear sight (a peep sight was available to mount on the rear scope dovetail). In this serial number range, it will likely have "Bofors Steel" stamped on the right side of the barrel, but not always.

As you observed, the sling swivels are one-piece and non-detachable (and are actually made for a 7/8" rather than one-inch sling, although a one-incher can be squeezed through satisfactorily).

Assuming the stock has regular, as opposed to skip-line checkering and the floorplate is plain blue without any gold engraving, you have the standard sporter model. The magazine latch could be a lever contoured into the trigger guard, or more likely, a plunger which retracts into the trigger guard -- both types were found, with the lever being earlier thant the plunger.

Magazine capacity is a rare 6 rounds.

These are fantastic little guns. I have a .222 very similar to yours and also a .222 Magnum in a deluxe, and a .223 (which was very rare in the pre-Garcia guns). All shoot marvelously, with the .222 holding a slight edge in accuracy.

Your pre-Garcia is more desireable than the later production models (at least in my opinion) because it had a slimmer and sleeker contour to the stock and barrel and the finish (not Finnish!) was a bit better.

The current prices of new Sakos make the pre-Garcias in the condition of yours seem like a true bargain. Enjoy it (that is, unless you want to sell it to me!).

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
raamw: You have what is commonly referred to as a "pre-Garcia" Sako Vixen. This means it was produced prior to about 1972 and was likely imported by the Firearms International Corp. of Washington D.C., the importer immediatly prior to the Garcia Corporation (yes, the fishing reel people).

If it has a sporter barrel and stock, the barrel will measure approximately 23.75 inches. There was never any rear sight (a peep sight was available to mount on the rear scope dovetail). In this serial number range, it will likely have "Bofors Steel" stamped on the right side of the barrel, but not always.

As you observed, the sling swivels are one-piece and non-detachable (and are actually made for a 7/8" rather than one-inch sling, although a one-incher can be squeezed through satisfactorily).

Assuming the stock has regular, as opposed to skip-line checkering and the floorplate is plain blue without any gold engraving, you have the standard sporter model. The magazine latch could be a lever contoured into the trigger guard, or more likely, a plunger which retracts into the trigger guard -- both types were found, with the lever being earlier thant the plunger.

Magazine capacity is a rare 6 rounds.

These are fantastic little guns. I have a .222 very similar to yours and also a .222 Magnum in a deluxe, and a .223 (which was very rare in the pre-Garcia guns). All shoot marvelously, with the .222 holding a slight edge in accuracy.

Your pre-Garcia is more desireable than the later production models (at least in my opinion) because it had a slimmer and sleeker contour to the stock and barrel and the finish (not Finnish!) was a bit better.

The current prices of new Sakos make the pre-Garcias in the condition of yours seem like a true bargain. Enjoy it (that is, unless you want to sell it to me!).

It does have standard taper barrel and a spring loaded plunger/pivoting lever for mag release and single cut checkering. I figured it had to be at least 25 years or better. The fellow I bought it off never did shot it, he had a 222 remington Mag that he always shot. I have shot it a few times and it probably shoots better than I am capable of. Thanks for your time Stonecreek I appreciate it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
raamw

As mentioned in earlyer posts you have a Vixen action and yes it�s a old one. The barrels labeled with "Bofors steel" is cut rifled and use to shoot very well. Nowadays Sako hammer forge the barrels.

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it true, as Stefan says, that barrels marked "Bofors Steel" are cut rifled? It is my understanding that Sako has always used hammer forging. Can anyone shed any light on this subject?

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I'm in the same situation, I just traded for a Sako AV in .375 H&H Magnum. I did not see any "Bofors" stamps but it does have "Imp'd by Stoeger, NJ" etched (chemical or laser) on the bottom of the barrel. The stock is oil finished with standard checkering (not skip-line). Is there anything special about the "A" series of Sako?

------------------
BH1

"Did you use excessive force?---I HIT IT WITH EVERYTHING I HAD!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blackhawk: Your A-V (A-five) is much later than the pre-Garcia .222 in this post. The A-series came along to replace the L461 (A-I), L579 (A-II), and L61R (A-III in standard and A-V in magnum -- don't ask me what happened to the A-IV) after Garcia ceased to be the importer and Stoeger took it over. A-series rifles date from sometime in the late 80's or so.

The A-series is pretty similar to the L-series, but did have a different length tang, and shared the shrouded firing pin common to very late L-series actions. Somewhere during the A-series, Sako started using a palm-swell pistol grip (which really hacks off left-handed shooters) and cut the barrel in most calibers to 22". Later they returned to 23 and 24 inch barrels in standard sporters. The forends also became rounded instead of squared bottoms and sides at some point.

I had an AV in .338 which had a black composite magazine follower -- the only one I've ever seen. What kind of follower does your .375 have?

one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I had an AV in .338 which had a black composite magazine follower -- the only one I've ever seen. What kind of follower does your .375 have?

Mine has a steel follower, palm swell, and a 23" barrel. The stock is oil finished, rounded forend with no forend cap, and fairly nice checkering, not skipline.

I haven't shot that monster yet, (I think it's a little light for a .375 H&H) but have heard that the Sako AVs are 1 MOA capable. As long as it's "minute of elk" @ 200 yards, I'll be happy .

------------------
BH1

"Did you use excessive force?---I HIT IT WITH EVERYTHING I HAD!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote