New
Find
Notify
Tools

5.6X35R Vierling???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have one of these varmits? I have an anschutz coming in it, and wondered if it's decent as is, or should I rechamber it..? Anyone thoughts from experience appreciated.. Red Face)

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
That's a 22 Hornet and I think it is a pretty decent cartridge and in an Anschutz - what can I say? Enjoy it! thumb

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a little different from the hornet. .221-222 bore and a little different case dimensions. I think the hornet shoulder may be a little different too. I'm wondering if I can seat hornet brass in the chamber & fire form it, then necksize from then on. I can always rechamber to K-hornet too (but it would be nice to keep the orig caliber if possible)(& use jet bullets). Just wondering if anyone had tried this??

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Re: 5.6x35R Vierling=.22WCF=.22Hornet?? Confused!
Reply #3 - 09/03/06 at 18:54:26 Thanks for the tips!

I now have the rifle in-hand... (should I mention that it's not exactly a single shot?...).
The bolt closes easily on a .22 hornet brass (I have no live Hornet to try).
This is from ASSRA Forum. OK, so there are differences - I did not know. Well, my 22 Hornet has a .223 bore and it shoots .224 bullets fairly well. (The bore is damaged). I did read somewhere that shooting oversize bullets does not raise pressure much if at all. As long as the bullet will enter the throat! You are likely to use Lil'Gun and with that powder you would be hard pressed to come anywhere near max pressure (unless you do what I do which is a heavily compressed charge under a 55gr bullet, seated in a paper cup and 'glued' in place with molten 'waxy-lube'. The 'waxy-lube' does three things - it holds the bullet firmly, seals the case and lubes the bore. The system also allows for much 'hotter' than normal loads without raising the pressure! But in my case, it was developed in small steps and I cannot change the brass I use. It has to be R-P for the volume. Disadvantages of my system are many. For starters you need lots of fancy little devices to ease loading and It does not work too well with lighter bullets and lower charges (pressure is inconsistent). However, H4227/AR2205 type powders work just fine with any bullet weight.

As for hornet brass, well, my rifle's chamber is quite different to new brass, so there is a good chance that hornet brass will fit your chamber provided the rim thickness will allow it. The gentleman above’s rifle chambers it but another's would not due to rim thickness. Apparently, there were variations in specs used over the years.

In any case, I am sure you will have fun with your rifle. Is yours similar to mine? Mine is a 1431/32. (The 1431 was a 222Rem and this one is shortened to Hornet length. A beautiful rifle to shoot with!)

beer

P.S. Now that I am set up, my system is not much worse than the 'normal' system as I do not have all the brass prepping to do. I head-space on the case mouth so I don't even have to trim cases and cases last forever! Smiler

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Right! I found the differences between the Hornet and the Vierling.

Vierling
It would seem that only the rim thickness is of significance. If the hornet case chambers you're good to go. Otherwise, you can reduce the rim thickness.

Good Shooting!

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Thanks a lot for the research "303Guy". Mine's a very early (maybe the last vierling Red Face) model 54 annie, made in 1955. clip repeater. Looking forward to getting it and playing around with it. The bore is supposed to be perfect so I hate to re-line or re-barrel it. If I can come up with a good way to use hornet brass, I'll keep it as is. I could re-chamber to 22K hornet, which I prefer to the std version. And just use the jet bullets or make a swaging die to get .224's down a bit. 5.6 Vierling brass is pretty hard to come by Red Face)

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
You're welcome. If I am not mistaken, it would be real easy to re-headspace to hornet rim thickness. No touching of the chamber itself. To get an idea of barrel length effects, you could look under pistol loading data. Those barrels may be shorter than you are planning but you could extrapolate the velocity figures. Chambering to a k-hornet could be a real problem in that the hornet reamer will give you a really big throat and neck, which is sure to ruin accuracy. I would seriously suggest just shooting hornet bullets (223) or even 224 bullets. As long as the bullets enter the throat, you will be fine. They might even give you pin point accuracy! (308 Win cartridges have been successfully fired through 270 Win barrels – some of those guns actually survived and hit their intended targets!)

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, modifying it to handle the rim thickness (hornet) is no problem.
As a gunsmith, a custome asked if he could fire a 308 in his 270 since it would camber. I told him "sure... once.." Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
... told him "sure... once.."

Big Grin
I hope you post a pic of your rifle when it arrives. I have had great fun with my 1431/32. It's a real nice rifle to shoot with. Light enough not to hurt my elbow from carrying. Roll Eyes

beer

Regards
303Guy