New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Wby with 110 gr bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know this is not a small caliber, but I bet you fellas will know. I recently bought a Wby vangaurd VGX that someone had dropped out of their deer stand & broke the stock. I'm thing about ordering a boyds thumbhole varmint stock for it & use 110 gr, bullets for the really windy days & extra long shots on varmints. Has anyone had any expereince with this combo? Wondering if this has the posibility of being accurate combo or maybe just a pipe dream? Thanks for your time. Regards Mike

Posts: 308 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 12 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of mills
posted Hide Post
i did back around 1961, shot jack rabbats out in the calif desert with 110 grain they turned into a puff of fur i was unable to find even a foot, totaly dissapeared. i do not rember what the powder charge was but the primers were falling out.oh to be young and dumb again,not.

Posts: 33 | Location: bonita springs fl | Registered: 12 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I tried that 110 grain bullet with a 30/06 and a 300 Win Mag.

I am going to recommend if you do that, don't get caught up in as much velocity as you can stretch out of it. It is going to eat a lot of powder and erode the throat of your barrel quickly.

Up your bullet to a 125 grain or even a 150 grain match bullet or one of those 155 grain Palma bullets, and I think you will see a lot more accuracy with it. A 125 grain Sierra, or a 130 grain Speer will do a nice job on varmints.

Cheers and good shooting

seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
seafire is right I would go with a heavier bullet if you are going to be shooting at long range out past 300. They buck wind so much better. At short range the 110s well make varmints just explode.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was coon hunting at night with my 22-250 shooting out to about 300 yards the coon would run along and the eyes would quit shinning back. I did not know for sure if I was even hitting them. Moved up to a 6mm rem. With 85gr. bullets they died on the spot. Just wasn�t what I was looking for broke out my 300WBY. Loaded it with 110gr honady soft points and man talk about fun. What a good time just like shooting squirrels with the 22-250.

Posts: 182 | Location: Bandon Oregon | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tried some 110's in my 30-06 once. Accuracy sucked. Actually, I don't THINK the 110gr bullet in 30 calibre would give you any wind advantage.
Take the money you'd spend on powder and buy a dedicated varmint gun. If you want wind bucking ability (I kinda think that's a myth -or it seems to be when I shoot) go to a 6mm or a 6.5mm.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote