THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Best powder for 220 Swift.....

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best powder for 220 Swift.....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill Adams
posted
I'm loading 40 gr. v-max, and 55 gr. v-max. I'm working up loads for a new rifle, any suggestions? Thank you!

------------------
Razorbacker

Posts: 617 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 22 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Adams:
I'm loading 40 gr. v-max, and 55 gr. v-max. I'm working up loads for a new rifle, any suggestions? Thank you!

Bill/ among the old powders the standard for the swift was/is 4064....36.0 for the 55vmax.....and ease up a grain ...my old Win.70 likes this with the 55vmax/molly and Win. cases....I use IMR4064....the 40's never seemed worth the effort for my use so can't advise as to a load for them....just remember to check the case trim length and watch for thickened necks...the swift is known for both...as a note the batch of Winchester brass has neck walls of .o17 to .022 and the Norma are more uniform at .014....my chamber has a .262 neck and requires neck turning for factory new Winchester brass in a factory/saami standard neck.....check any new brass you get if you get tight chambering rounds...good luck and good loading/shooting that fine cartridge!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill Adams
posted Hide Post
Thank you, BigDaddy!

------------------
Razorbacker

Posts: 617 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 22 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill Adams: I can't believe I never see anyone mention 4320 for the Swift. Meters so much better than 4064 with almost the same speeds. I found the best accuracy loads always shot with or exceeded 4064.

My old load from memory- 38.5 grs 4320 with BR2's in Norma brass using 52gr Sierra HPBT matches @ 2.72" OAL for my Ruger Varmint. That load exceeds many loading manuals of today-- start/work from well below.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
39.5grs of Re-15,with a 55gr V-max is my pet Swift load.

Yes,it is .5gr more than Nosler #3 mentions. Start low,work up and heed your own rifle's limits. I shot that powder charge,with that weight bullet,in five different Swifts. It was stellar in every example.

I prefer the V-Max to anything else and shoot them expressly now.................