THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: .223 or 6mmPPC for Rabbits/Squirrels/Other Uses

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .223 or 6mmPPC for Rabbits/Squirrels/Other Uses
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think you already have the main issues defined....except for the cost of the guns in 6PPC...they are a little harder to find and more expensive to feed but I think the 6 will download with cast bullets better than the 223 and as you note it is legal for hunting....also you need to decide if you are going to get a standard neck 6 or a tight neck chambering......the 6 has a lot of good new bullets for paper punching and the same decent selection of hunting style bullets......I would go by which gun you prefer and then see which chambering is available and how much you want the cast/low velocity loads.....I love my 223's but I'm looking for a 6 also just to play with for something different and in my area they aren't showing up on the gun rack at the stores much....good luck and good shooting with either.....or both!!!!!! lol.....

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Deke, I'd throw the 6BR in the mix as well. It's a little more powerful than the PPC, but you don't have to fireform the brass, and you don't need a special size boltface. As far as practical accuracy, there is no difference. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not consider the 6x45 (.223 necked up)? It is a wildcat, but will also make a good first time round when your kids get old enough.

Posts: 196 | Location: MN, USA | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend the .223, as you seem more interested in using the rifle for varmints. I use the .223 much more than my .22-250, 6mm Rem., .22 Hornet, and .25-06 varmint rifles because it is easier to reload. I generally use the 55 gr. Rem. HP with 27.5 gr. of BL-C(2) in Rem. brass and the Rem. 7-1/2 primer. The other rifles don't seem to like ball powders very well so I dump the charge from the measure and finish it with a dribbler. The BL-C(2) works great straight from the measure. I live in Utah, but also hunt around Meeker, Colorado, and in southern Wyoming. I take several rifles and handguns for varmint shooting so I can let the barrels cool. But the majority of my shooting each day is with the .223.