Find
Notify
Tools

M1 Carbine
 Login/Join

posted
Hello
I just bought an M1 carbine, it is an Iver Johnson
It has a walnut stock, but upper hand guard is not wood. It is a serated metal guard and the color of all the metal it is not "blued", it has a dull nichol or satin finish. I have never seen one like this before.
I looked on the internet to figure out the age and model, but to no avale.
Any info?

Thanks

Posts: 15 | Location: Sycamore,Il. USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Elliot Viker>
posted
Iver Johnson made several M-1 type guns up into the mid-60's if I remember. My father has several M-1's and 5 or 6 Iver Johnsons I think all parts are interchangable with millitary M-1's the blueing is a type of paint that they used on some of their modles. They are great plinkers and accurate for close range shooting and hunting. I have used mine several times when calling fox when I knew the shooting would be 75yds or less.

<stans>
posted
Plainfield, Iver Johnson and Universal made M1 carbines are pretty much the same. Very similar to military M1 carbines except some parts do not interchange due to changes designed to make manufacturing easier and cheaper. It is generally accepted that the military carbines are of better quality. The carbines were produced under the Universal and Plainfield names from 1964 to 1983 and as Iver Johnsons from 1985 to 1993. Most are valued at no more than $300 for a 100% specimen, although a few rare types may fetch more.