New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mini 14
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Considering buying a new Mini 14 ranch rifle. How do the currently built rifles perform? I would be happy with consistent 3 inch groups at 100 yards. No need to tell me to buy a AR as I already own a few. The Mini 14 is the compact package I am looking for provided it shoots decent.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They are fine now; Ruger stopped using Wilson barrels in 1990.

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Mini-14 shoots about a 2" group at 100 yards with factory ammunition. I think I could improve on that with hand loads, but so far I don't have dies for the 7.62X39 cartridge. The deer I "harvested" with it this year didn't complain.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Mini-14 shoots about 2" groups at 100 yards with factory (PRVI PARTIZAN) ammunition. I think hand loads might do better, but I don't have 7.62X39 dies yet. The deer I "harvested" with it this year didn't complain.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it scoped or was that with the irons ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a 4X scope and shot off a sturdy concrete bench. As I expected, the factory loads using cheaper steel cases and full metal jacket bullets did not perform as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have played with 20 or so mini's they are on the average a 2 inch rifle.

Had one that was a 8 inch sent it make to Ruger they put on a new barrel. It came back a two inch rifle.

My ranch rifle with scope and good ammo is a 1.5 inch rifle.

It is deadly on yotes to 300 yards. Haven't shot it any further.

A huge problem with the early Mini's was the huge front sight.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any noticeable difference in accuracy between the mini 14 and mini 30?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any noticeable difference in accuracy between the mini 14 and mini 30?

I only played with one mini 30. that was decades ago.

I don't recall it being bad or being very good.

So it must have been average.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Mini-30 when they first came out....I believe around 1989. It shot 12" patterns at 100 yards with my hand loads.

Years later, I bought a Colt AR in 7.62x39 and with that exact same left-over ammo, it shot sub-moa.

Tony

Posts: 132 | Location: Inola, OK | Registered: 08 July 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was issued one off and on, none of them impressed me and there were many to test..Only a few were accurate, most 3 or 4 inches but they were fun guns and seemed to function well, the AR16, shot much better at under 2 inches..All with iron sights as are most issue guns..Sniper guns were mostly Rem 700s, the always seem to shoot good out of the box.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote