THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Conversion of 6.5x55 to 6.5x68

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Conversion of 6.5x55 to 6.5x68
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I love metric calibers, and the 6.5x55 is one of my favorites. I have always wanted to try the 6.5x68 and was thinking that a CZ Lux in 6.5x55, with it's Bavarian style stock, would be a great rifle to convert to this German caliber (for less cost than purchasing a new rifle from a European manufacturer that chambers it). I know it will require rechambering, opening up the bolt face, possible work on the feed rails, and bedding. Has anyone tried this - or heard of someone trying it? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 283 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking that the 6.5x68 is the same as the 6.5x270, not real sure. If it is, then the 6.5x55 rim is a bit larger and the bolt face doesn't need opened. If it is the 6.5x270, you'll love it. I have a 6.5x06 and it's great. If I had it to do again tho, it would be the 6.5x270 because of the factory ammo in Europe.

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
The 6.5x68 is the large 8x68s case necked down to 6.5 caliber and something on the order of necking a .300 Weatherby down to 6.5. This caliber is popular in Europe and fairly hot for this caliber.

Finding brass may be a problem.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where do you find loading data for it? That might be a barrel burner.

Tex21,

Do you know the designation of the European 6.5 that is the same case as the 270?

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taking gun out of proof by rechambering to a higher pressure cartridge is a bad idea. Eeker

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
The only legitimate standard length 6.5 that I do know of is the 6.5-05 A-Square. But, and just as a shot in the dark , what you're thinking of might be a 6.5 Brenneke (?). I've been told that the 8x64s Brenneke is essentially a 270 Win necked up to 8mm. Might be the same deal with the 6.5.

Jason

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GBF
posted Hide Post
Tex,
the 8x64 was designed and produced in 1912 whereas the 270 came out in 1917. The 7x64 Brenneke was in turn a necked down 8x64 (1917).
what do you mean by a "legitimate" standard lenght 6.5mm ?

Don,
the case you might be referring to as 6.5-270 may be the 6.5x64 Brenneke, they are similar in case dimensions.

Regarding the original question, 6.5x55 to 6.5x68 conversion, the barrel on the CZ is merely 600mm long (23.6"). The actual improvement in ballistics may be negligible if a barrel change is not going to be on the menu. The 68mm cartridge will need a longer barrel to make it worthwhile.

Regards

Georg

Posts: 392 | Location: Insula Thule | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Legitimate as in not a wildcat; recognized by SAAMI.

Jason

one of us
posted Hide Post
Given potential problems of procuring brass in the US, a .264 Win Mag might be the easier alternative (although you'd probably choose a different rifle as starting point). At least you'd be able to get the same ballistics with the same bullet diameter, albeit without the attraction of a metric caliber designation.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6,5x68 is a necked down 8x68s, released about 1939-1940. You can check out the numbers on the RWS site:

http://www.rws-munition.de/en/rifle_cartridges/ballistic_data.htm?navid=10

It's an overbore cartridge that, as said above, requires a long barrel to reach it's full potential.

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GBF
posted Hide Post
Jason,
legitmate standard legth 6.5mm cartridges would in that case be the 6.5x64 Brenneke, 6.5x65 RWS, even the shorter 6.5x57, 6.5x55 and perhaps even the 6.5-284 Norma as they need a 30-06 lenght action to accommodate all bullet weights.

New guns and factory ammo are available for all of those numbers of course.

Can you get factory ammo for the 6.5-06 at all ?

Regards

Georg

Posts: 392 | Location: Insula Thule | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

Natchez Shooters Supply is doiing a good job of keeping RWS brass in stock hee in the USA. I just checked and they are currently out of stock of both 6.5x68 and 8x68, but they seem to be doing a reasonable job of restocking, so keep an eye on them.. I've been getting my RWS brass from them for three years now, and have been well satisfied. (calibers I use = 5.6x57, 6.5x57, 7x64, and 8x60S from RWS, plus 6.5x54mm, 6.5x55mm, 7x57mm, and 9.3x57mm from Norma suppliers)

http://www.natchezss.com/

LLS
Mannlicher Collector

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5x64 Brenneke is a European (CIP) standardized cartridge that is the same as the 6.5-270 Win. It is a fine cartridge, but is smaller than the 6.5x55 case head and may or may not work with the bolt face of a 6.5x55. Factory ammo is available in Europe, but not generally in the U.S.

Attempting to rechamber a factory barrel is a pretty high risk proposition. It is entirely possible that you may wind up with a rifle that leaves you unhappy. It might be better to go ahead and spring for a new barrel.

On the other hand I would ask just what you want the new cartridge to do that the Swede will not accomplish? If the answer is simply that you want to try something different (who doesn't) I would be inclined to look for an appropriate donor action/rifle and just put a new barrel on it. That way you should have a much higher degree of confidence in the outcome of the project.

Posts: 30 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for your replies, but I think there might be some confusion about the 6.5x68. The 6.5x68 is the ballistic equal of the .264 Win. Mag and was introduced in the late 1930's in Germany by RWS. It is an entirely different cartridge than the 6.5x65 RWS, 6.5x64 Brenneke, and 6.5-06. The case head diameters of these rounds are slightly smaller than the 6.5x55 case head, but the 6.5 x 68 case head is actually larger. It's head is .512", which is smaller than the .532 head size of the belted magnums, and it's case length is 2.658", which is just a tad longer than the 2.5" length found on the .264 Win. and 7mm Rem. magnums. This odd sized case head means that one must either buy a new rifle chambered for this cartridge, or rebarrel a standard action - along with opening up the bolt face (and possibly the feed rails) to accomodate this round. A standard magnum action will not work because the bolt face will be too large. Magnum conversions on standard length actions (Mauser 98's, Springfields, etc.) have been done successfully many times when the magnum cartridge is short enough (.264 Win. Mag, 7mm Rem. Mag, and .338 Win. Mag) - and the 6.5x68 case diameter is not as large as a magnum case (measured at the belt of course). My dealer can get CZ 550 Lux 6.5x55 rifles for under $500 and I was thinking that a rechamber job would be cheaper than a rebarrel job (another $700 dollars at least for a good barrel with the additional action work) or to special order a Steyr, Heym, Blaser, etc. from Europe. I own a Steyr Mannlicher 6.5x55, and I am not looking for a jump in performance. I just happen to really like European metric catridges and this round is one that I have simply always wanted, but never tried. I was thinking that this would be a way for myself to obtain a rifle in this caliber that still had a Bavarian style stock - all for under $900 (and possibly cheaper). I was just curious as to if anyone had actually tried it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alf,
Any bolt action could be used of course, as long as the bolt face is the right size. This caliber was originally used in M-98 pattern actions. However, the Mauser factory did not screw a 6.5x68 barrel on an M-98 action without making the bolt face big enough to accomodate the larger case head - the 8x57/30-06 family of cases have a smaller case head diameter than the 6.5x68 case. Your Sauer 202 works with both the 6.5x68 and 8x68 because they are based on the same case. A 30-06 barrel, or a 7mm Magnum barrel would not work in your 202 with the same bolt for the 6.5x68/8x68. I only thought of using the CZ because of its stock, price, and caliber. I would use the caliber on mule deer and elk, and would use 140 grain bullets exclusively - so the original twist would work for me. Very nice set of rifles by the way. I am jelous.

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alf,
I thought you were implying that this conversion could be done by simply installing a new barrel. I apologize for this assumption - I hope I didn't offend. The point I was making was that it can be built on a standard length action - which is exactly what you are saying as well. It can also be built on a magnum length action as you have said. I was only pointing out that a magnum's rim/belt diameter is larger than the 6.5x68's, and that the standard 30-06/8x57's is smaller (and that the bolt face needed to fit these diameters). That's it. I didn't want to get into any of this -I just wanted to know if anyone had tried it or knew anyone that had, and there seemed to be some confusion about the cartridge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
9.3 I have a 6.5x68 built by Voere on a Mauser 98 action. It is everthing a 264 win is but not very practical. Brass is availible from a couple manufactures and is pricey. RWS brass is the best quality in my opinion. My rifle is quite accurate with 120 and 125 gr Noslers and the 129 Hornady. It doesn't care for heavier bullets. I believe my rifle has a 1 in 11 inch twist.If you re-chambered a 6.5x55 barrel it would have a quicker twist and may handle heavier bullets better.I don't think you will see the 6.5x68s full potential unless you have at least a 26 in barrel. If you insist on playing with this calibre by the time you find some custom dies and expensive brass you might as well have a new barrel the right length & twist. One last comment, my rifle has a preference for IMR 7828. Hope that helps.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote