THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Post 64 Model 70 "Red Letter"

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post 64 Model 70 "Red Letter"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 1965 Model 70 in .264 Win. Mag. I can't seem to find any info about the gun. It has a red W on the grip cap. The stock also has more checkering then I have seen on most guns from that year. I have seen one 1966 model that also had this red letter and same stock chambered in .270. Is this a special edition? Should I replace the stock and shoot it(estimated to have 10 or less shots through it) or leave it in the safe? Any idea on value?
Thanks.

Greg

Posts: 201 | Location: Sonoma, California | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pics

Posts: 201 | Location: Sonoma, California | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't shoot it or alter it until I found more info on it. Nice looking rifle!

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to Roger Rule's book, that checkering pattern was adopted in 1966, due to the "poor acceptance" of the reverse diamonds in the original post-64 checkering. So if your serial number indicates 1965 manufacture, you may have a "parts gun"..or you could possibly have an extremely rare example of a barrel/receiver assembly that was manufactured in one year but was matched with a stock later. Who knows?

If it were me, and you like the balance and feel of the rifle, I'd hunt with it and enjoy it. Most early post-64's don't have much collector value anyway.

I used to have a '64 M70 264 that shot very well. And I'm still kicking myself for selling it for next to nothing!

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
from what i remember about the red w on the grip cap, this dates the gun from 1965 to 1969...i've got 2 of them... a .225 from late 1965 and a 30-06 from 1968...checkering and finish is not very pretty, but the guns shoot.. the .225 is my favorite.... ,

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FYI
Blue Book of Gun Values gives a $600.00 for a 100% rifle. A 98% one at $500.00.
I typically find the prices listed in this book a little optimistic.
As was already mentioned, if it shoots well use it.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Im going to see how it shoots. It should make a nice deer/antelope gun.

Greg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
- Nice Model 70 --

- Let us know how she does at the range.