THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Found a couple of Ruger Africans in .223

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found a couple of Ruger Africans in .223
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted
Heads up

Found two for sale on gunsamerica
One seems priced right at $850.
One at $1049 is a bit steep.

Uncommon rifle/caliber

Mine is a sub MOA; love it.

just search for "Ruger African 223" on gunsamerica.com

no relation to either seller, just passing the info along on what I think is a fun rifle.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a picture, I never head of this one, where have I been?? I can't find any info on it.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Sure.

M77 Hawkeye action, styled after their big bore cousin. Open sights, barrel ban swivel, very 'African' looking.
Allows for cheap practice with .223 ammo and a nice hunting rifle for smaller game.

They were about $800 street price when offered by Ruger. Discontinued about 2 or 3 years ago.

I snagged one off GB last year. $850 or so shipped IIRC. Mine is sub MOA with hand loaded 69gr SMK

(Not my picture)

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got one of the Africans myself in .223. This one is first year of production and has the matte finish. Ive heard good things about the accuracy but have never fired it. It is sitting NIB collecting dust so Ive thought about putting it in the classifieds...

Posts: 81 | Location: Montana | Registered: 23 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe these were built as training rifles at the request of a shooting school. I have used mine as a trainer set up like my big rifles. They are rare.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those puppies are plumb sexy..Id love to have one..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CHIPB
posted Hide Post
The following are a couple of photos of my two Rugers. The M77 Hawkeye in .223 is on the top and the M77 RSM in .458 Lott is on the bottom. Both of these rifles were restocked using additional cross bolts and recoil lugs by LeRoy Barry of Canyon Creek Custom Gunstocks in Darby, Montana. The stock blanks came from Cecil Fredi in Las Vegas, Nevada. I wanted them to look similar to each other. Cheers. Chip.

Posts: 268 | Location: TUCSON, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CHIPB, WOW what a great pair of rifles. Cool idea to restock that 223 to match your Lott! Neato.

I too have one of these. My wife and I use it as it was designed; cheap practice for our big bores, especially as we have quite a few Ruger RSMs and Expresses. Previously, we were using our Ruger 77/22 for such practice, but the stock length is much shorter. These Ruger African 223s are the same stock dimensions as their big bores.

The 223 ammo is a little more expensive of course than the 22LR, but compared to medium and large bores, it's still 'cheap' practice. For $5/box, we each shoot a box at the range, before we start with the 338WMS, 35 Whelens, 375 H&Hs, 404 Jefferys, 458Lotts, 470 Capsticks and 505 Gibbs, etc. When one pays for that type of practice, 223 is a welcome relief in both cost and recoil. Great idea from Ruger. Too bad they discontinued them.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote