THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    To Be 260 Rem or Not to Be 260 Rem That Is the Question
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To Be 260 Rem or Not to Be 260 Rem That Is the Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 260s with mannlicher style stocks.

An Interarms Mark X, the Remington 7, and a tang safety Ruger 77 RSI that was rebored from .243" to .264".

The Mark X resides with a friend in NH, along with a nearly complete hunting kit, in case I get the itch to hunt deer in northern New England.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Knew someone who had an 'x' model in '06 I believe, enjoyed it, had a butterknife bolt handle, perhaps 20" bbl cannot recall but he loved it.

Passed long ago on a 7x57 interarms sporter, did not know what I was missing at the time....long ago but at $200 then, was a steal and more gun that I realized.

Ruger might could sell many full stock 77's in 6.5's if they'd do them. Heard some 6.5x54's went overseas.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 260remguy:
I have 3 260s with mannlicher style stocks.

An Interarms Mark X, the Remington 7, and a tang safety Ruger 77 RSI that was rebored from .243" to .264".

The Mark X resides with a friend in NH, along with a nearly complete hunting kit, in case I get the itch to hunt deer in northern New England.
Jeff

Mmmm.. Now I could live with a 260 RSI Wink

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Mark X came to me as a 30-06 with DSTs and a butter knife bolt handle. Although the butter knife bolt handle looked good, it required medium hight rings because of its high rise and the sharp front edge made it uncomfortable to cycle the action quickly. I had the bolt handle replaced with a standard rounded knob style and I replaced the DSTs with a Timney.

Ruger never made any 77 RSIs in 6.5x54, that is just a myth, even if it was printed in a Sierra reloading manual.

A Ruger 77 RSI in 260 is as close as a rebarrel or rebore of a 243.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
260 RSI, I'd be in......and at half the cost of a M7 custom shop mannlicher, lots of money left for ammo/scope.

My bad perhaps as I did read there were some 6.5x54 Rugers exported.

Nothing against a rebore, other than my preference would be 260 out of the box.....less dollars, and perhaps as good or better chance of shooting well. My last few Rugers shot so well, I would hate to try to improve upon them, seriously. Both #1's in 243, 1A (now 6BR) and my RSI. Rugers in-house bbls are very good IMHO.

Ruger are you listening? Give us a few more offerings in 260 and 6.5x55!!!!!! The other choices just bore me!

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote